PDA

View Full Version : Deployement For Radio Field Operator?

usmc92
06-17-10, 01:08 AM
Hello Marines, I just have some quick questions on the Radio Field Operator 0621 MOS field...

I really like working with anything dealing with electronics, I haven't talked to a Marine recruiter yet because im doing my research first..

1. What is a day in the life as a 0621?

2. What do you learn at comm school at 29 Palms?

3. Is it wise to join the Marine Corps for 0621 if you dont plan on staying after the 4 year enlistment? ( Prediction )

4. Is this a MOS that can translate to anything outside of the Marine Corps?

4. I dont like desk jobs and the 1 thing that has been nagging be about this MOS is that the needs of the Corps determine what your going to do. If push comes to shove ill do whatever the Corps wants me to do, but I would really like to travel or be deployed somewhere that involves action or doing something hands on (not sitting at a desk). My dream scenario is deploying with a Infantry Unit or Recon unit. Will i have any say in what i will be doing? I heard this MOS is hard to get a opinion on because Radio Field Operators have alot of different experiences because of all the different things that they can be doing.

Thanks in advance.

ritter
06-17-10, 01:26 AM
1. It depends on what type of unit you are with
2. You learn 0621 stuff
3. No, you want admin or supply they are the best for if you get out.
4. maybe
4. You will be an E-1 through E-3 so you will have no say in anything you will be doing, and I would never want to be a radio operator... more stuff to carry.

Moderboater
06-17-10, 03:55 AM
Sigh...USMC92...I am a radio operator of which was with a grunt btl. Please use the search function of the forum and found the long replies I wrote about the topic on a 0621. It really irritates me that people don't seek answers anymore, but instead ask the same question 5x over without searching for the answers first.

Lisa 23
06-17-10, 07:26 AM
It really irritates me that people don't seek answers anymore, but instead ask the same question 5x over without searching for the answers first.
X's 2! :thumbup:

usmc92
06-17-10, 01:15 PM
Sorry, my labtop dosent let me see the verification code needed to search something its just a white box and when i hit refresh its still the same thing.

Rocky C
06-17-10, 06:02 PM
Sorry, my labtop dosent let me see the verification code needed to search something its just a white box and when i hit refresh its still the same thing.

What???

dizark
06-17-10, 06:26 PM
Well, since I'm a RO, and I'm deployed, and I'm with an infantry Bn, I will answer the best I can.

1. Garrison life for a RO is nothing special. You go PT in the morning, then to work at the shop by around 0730, 0800... Then you sit around and do nothing much that's ever too important.

Deployed: It's all about where you're chosen to go. I have friends who are assigned to the Companies as their RO's and they go on patrols and what not. I stand radio watch a few hours a night, and then assist in signing out radio gear to those who need it. I've been out on a convoy as a RO as well... I preferred that over the comm shop life in theatre.

2. Comm School is Comm School. You learn the BASICS on the radio systems and you'll practice with them there. It's quite easy if you apply yourself. I think I was second in knowledge with a 99.62 grade.

3. I don't plan on staying beyond 4 years, but I also didn't choose my specific job, just the field.

4. I don't know of much you can do after being an RO, except maybe working for a private security firm, or working for Harris (the one's who make the radios).

5. As a junior Marine, regardless of age, experience and what not... you'll be treated like you don't know anything, and made to do a lot of the crappy work. You get used to it over time I guess.

As for the verification things, try a different web browser. I think in Firefox it doesn't show it, which is a problem I had when I was first a Wannabe.

Good luck to you.