PDA

View Full Version : Shipping off

Poolee08/09
09-14-03, 12:25 PM
This is teh Poolee formerly known as FutureUSMC04, but i have gone through MEPS and am in the DEP. I am shipping off to become a Marine at Parris Island on august 9th, 2004. My MOS is, as of now, Aviation Support, so if anyone that reads this has any information about the field, or would liekto tell me your experiences with ppl or in the field, let me know, thank you

Sixguns
09-17-03, 09:12 PM
Jon,

Congratulations! Glad we got you in the DEP. I shipped to training the exact same day, 8/9. Of course, I shipped in 1983. So, 21 years later, you will be landing on the famour yellow footprints. Unfortunately the footprints are not in the same place as when I got to MCRD PISC, but it will be symbolic just the same. Carry on the traditions with pride. Start building yourself up mentally and physically so you will be "good to go" come ship day!

09-18-03, 07:47 PM
HEHEHE August is a bad time to be on PI, it's dang gone HOT and the sand fleas will be out in full force. Well, congrats on making it through that long long day of MEPS. And good luck when you get to the happiest place on earth. Three months of fun and games, fun for the Drill Instructors while they're playing games with you.

Seriously though, DI's are awsome people and kick ass Marines and they deserve every ounce of your respect. No matter how much you hate them at first, you'll thank them in the end, you know that poster that says "Believe it or not, I'll be the first person you want to see when you graduate." Well it's true. And a word of advise, when they say you have to drink about 12 canteens a day, make sure you do! I was drinking about 15 and still felt thirsty and dehidrated.

Caesar Augustus
09-18-03, 07:51 PM
I have that poster above my bed. And the PFC's that just got back tell us its the truth

Seeley
09-18-03, 08:27 PM
I like the flag that I have above my bed. Its black, and it has a skull and bones wearing a USMC cover and instead of bones, it has crossed M-16s. In yellow it says Mess with the best, die like the rest :D. Thats cool Poolee08/09, I'm glad to hear it. You'll be going in when I'm about 2/3 done with my training. As a matter of fact, 2 days after I turn 18...Just hope the DI's don't find out its my birthday hehe.

Caesar Augustus
09-18-03, 09:04 PM
lol seely. where'd you get the flag? I'm sure somebody will mail you so your DI's will know about your b-day. Maybey I'll send you a present cuz by then I'll be done with boot camp

Poolee08/09
09-19-03, 09:43 PM
haha u better pray they dont find out b/c im sure they will give u one he11 of a b-day present! but thanks for the congrats. since i walked out of the federal building that day iv already found a new pride and hold my head up higher then i used to, i can only imagine what i will be like at the end of boot, its serriously a dream come true that im even this close

Seeley
09-20-03, 05:42 PM
We had a POOLee meeting today at my recruiting center. We were going over some Marine Corps history after a game of baskett ball when a man comes to the door and opens it. He looked at all of us, turned his head out the window, spat his chew on the sidewalk and chuckled. My recruiter welcomed him in and asked what they could do for him. He replied, "Hell the Marines have already done enough for me. Just wanted to see all the future Marines and its a beautiful sight. Went to boot in '67 myself. Best damned thing I ever did. Once a Marine always a Marine. They're gunna put United States Marine on my tombstone above my name when I die. Semper Fi 'yall and good luck."

He walked out and I swear the Gunny had a glint of a tear in his eye to see that lol.

Poolee08/09
09-21-03, 01:53 PM
at MEPS we were all stnding outside, my recruiter and a few of the other futures were having a smoke, i was having my chaw, a man walks up and says he went to Parris Island the summer of '62 and now he hangs around the building seeing what the futre of his Beloved Corps will be, looks at my recruiter, salutes and says "Thank you, Marine, for everything that you do." looks over at us and says "You boys beter not do a dman thing to contaminate my Corps, be the best, and nothing less!" he gave one last look and smile to my recruiter, then walked away. after that, my recruiter had his chest puffed out a little more then usual, and a smile didnt leave hsi face the rest of the day.

Lake0300
09-21-03, 10:28 PM
And I'm willing to bet that any Marine in uniform gets at least 1 salute a day. The Army might get a salute once a week, Navy once a month, Air Force.. do they even salute? :P

JChristin
09-22-03, 12:32 AM
Interesting question Lake0300.

No one better salute this Marine - I'm enlisted.

However - when would someone rightfully render this Marine a salute?

Who here has been doing the work and study to earn the title?

semper fi,
jchristin

CAS3
09-22-03, 12:55 AM
ENLISTED...Only if you have a flag over your casket!!

Chain Breaker
09-22-03, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Lake0300
Air Force.. do they even salute? :P

Vary little, take my word for it.;)

Cement03
09-22-03, 07:36 AM
hey all of you poolees if you need any help or anything like that dont hesitate asking me i just graduated last week from mcrdsd so i have some good advice if you ask.

Caesar Augustus
09-22-03, 09:04 AM
Congrats cement! How was it? What was the hardest part. How was the crucible? What was the most challenging part of boot camp both mentally and physically?
thx

Lake0300
09-22-03, 09:09 AM
What did the Ironman score?

This is a tough question:

I understand that upon graduation from boot you get paid for the 3 months of boot acording to your rank. Does this include if you're promoted to LCpl?

Cement03
09-22-03, 06:00 PM
i was paid 1000 a month for the three months that i was in boot camp. so i should have left with $3000, i left MCRDSD with $983. they pay you according to rank yes but everybody is paid as private untill they graduate boot camp. or at least thats how i understand it.

Cement03
09-22-03, 06:08 PM
i think that the hardest part mentally was dealing with not seeing family. physicaly the hardest part wasnt the Reaper, it was the hump home. it was hard as hell but you really dont even have to be able to score a 300 on a pft to be ok in boot camp you just have to be mentaly strong. your mind can force your body to do some pretty amazing stuff. the crucible was hard but it isnt as bad as they make it out to be, just as long as you are determined and dont mind not eating much food for a while:) other than that i think it is just the time that gets to recruits the most. it drags by very slow at MCRDSD but when you get to Camp Pendleton it flies by. when are you leaving? keep me informed because i have to leave to go to SOI in 8 days so i will try to tell you as much as i can before i have to leave.

Caesar Augustus
09-22-03, 07:48 PM
I go to SD on Dec 29. What qualities did the squad ldr have? Would you recommend volunteering? What do the ladies treat you like now that youre a Marine :) How emotional was graduation?

Cement03
09-22-03, 10:07 PM
well you have to be a leader. if you are thinking about being a squad leader already then you have the right motovation so why settle for sqaud leader why not Guide? set your goals as high as possible and shoot for them. the ladies love me!! they are all proud and love my tan. i faught hard not to cry when they gave me my eagle globe and anchor. but you have to maintain military bearing so i didnt but it was awesome to see my family that day. but i tell you i graduated at 11:30 or somthing like that and i was off base within 10 minutes. it was good to get off MCRD:)

Caesar Augustus
09-23-03, 09:10 AM
Yea I will strive for guide but being a Marine is more than enough :) Man I cant wait. Dec 29 is so far away. Its going to be so rainy and cold. Ahh perfect weather for the night infiltration courses :)

airframesguru
09-23-03, 12:01 PM
08/09,

email for thoughts on the Air wing. I had the distinct pleasure of serving the the aviation field as an airframes mech. good folks there.

Good Luck on the Island.

Cement03
09-23-03, 02:57 PM
the big night infiltration course was fun but the little one sucks a*s cause the DI's do pretty much whatever they want to you cause they cant get in trouble at night. so watch out

Caesar Augustus
09-24-03, 09:22 AM
What do you mean by "do anything" like hit you or play little **** **** games

USMCJohnson
05-02-07, 07:24 AM
I have that poster above my bed. And the PFC's that just got back tell us its the truth

It's 4 years later and I have that same friggin poster above MY bed.HAHAHA:thumbup:

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-02-07, 11:52 AM
Wow, all kinds of really old threads are being brought back from the dead.

USMCJohnson
05-02-07, 12:13 PM
That would be my doing. Sorry