PDA

View Full Version : so i need help

PooleeBrown0431
06-07-10, 03:36 AM
i enlisted on january 4th 2010. after not talking to my dad, a former vietnam marine for almost 2 years my recruiter called me 2 days after i enlisted telling me how my dad was proud of me for what i did and following in his footsteps. in late march, shortly after his 63rd birthday i decided to get in touch with him and apologize for shutting him out of my life but i was a little too late. my dad passed away march 23rd after a 5 year battle of cancer. i never got to say good bye or sorry. this has hit me hard but has not changed my views on wanting to be a marine. my problem is i am not intimidated by drill instructors and i am afraid this attitude will prevent me from becoming a marine. i lived the marine corps life for 16 years of my life. every time i messed up or got in trouble my dad would always hit me or punish me severely. if i cried or whinned he would give me more to ***** about. my dad was a real hard ass. always thought he was an ******* till he died wen i realized he was only preparing me for wat i wanted the most. to be a marine like he was. how can i survive parris island without problems from the D.I.???

Lisa 23
06-07-10, 07:44 AM
Sorry to hear about the passing of your father.

You don't need to be intimidated by your Drill Instructors, just do what you are told. Remember, they know exactly how you feel....they were once in your shoes at one time.
Drill Instructors are a different breed, and don't think that they haven't come across young men like you, because they have...they've seen it all. What will make you a good recruit during boot camp/recruit training is helping your fellow recruits out, paying attention, doing what you are told to do and how to do it the Marine Corps way. Don't go to boot camp/recruit training with the "I'm better than you" attitude, or you're Drill Instructors will ride you the whole way. Be known for the good that you do, not the bad.

Best if luck to you!

And when using the words Marine or Marine Corps, they will be capitalized at all times.

Lisa 23
06-07-10, 07:52 AM
Ckeck this thread out, it may help you out some.....

What makes a good Marine?
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96069

ameriken
06-07-10, 11:29 AM
how can i survive parris island without problems from the D.I.???

Really sorry to hear about your Dad. There would be no better way to honor him than by becoming a Marine, and a damned good one.

My question: when you ask "how can I survive without problems from the Drill Instructor", do you really mean "how can I survive without causing problems for the Drill Instructor?"

I just want to be sure I am reading you right when you said you are 'not intimidated' by them, and what that means to you for your time in Boot Camp.

Zulu 36
06-07-10, 06:14 PM
I'm sorry about your father too. I lost my dad very early in my Marine Corps career.

You will never escape "problems" with the DIs. However, boot camp isn't like Full Metal Jacket anymore. At least the hitting part.

When I went through, it still was. My dad (a WWII Marine) had no problem laying me out when I was a kid and I screwed up. But I grew up in a different age when child abuse meant broken bones and a coma. Anything less than that was discipline.

When I went through boot camp, I had no problems whatsoever adjusting to the discipline of the Corps. In fact, my DIs never thumped me as bad as my father had a few times.

So, I think if you go with a positive attitude and understand that everything the DIs say or do has a purpose, you should do just fine. Remember, with the DIs it isn't personal, it's just business.

sparkie
06-07-10, 06:35 PM
You said your dad prepared you and in the next sentence you said how do you survive?
Hopfully your dad taught you to put your ego away for a few months. Do that and you will be fine.