PDA

View Full Version : Physical concerns about enlistment

soadnathan
06-02-10, 07:02 AM
Marines,

I have been contemplating enlisting for quite some time now. I recently encountered a barrier with my recruiter about a blood disorder that I have, but my doctor has given me the green light on that. Now, I am concerned about the physical requirements. The crunches portion is not an issue, nor is the 1.5 mile run (I believe its 1.5 miles?). The pull-ups though are what I may have a problem with. If my memory serves me correctly the minimum is 3 to graduate? While I'm still not 100% sure I could do a lousy 3 pull ups, what can I do between now and when I am shipped to Parris Island to improve this? Just doing push-ups everyday?

The other question I have is aimed at any Marines with glasses. I was born with very poor eyes and would need glasses at all times. I am assuming I would be given standard issue glasses with the necessary prescription?

Thank you in advance Marines!

gonzo4
06-02-10, 01:49 PM
You have to be able to do like 3 pull-ups to even go to boot camp. So get with your recruiter to get a good workout program. As for the glasses.... Yes you will get BCGs... Ugliest things on the planet but they serve thier purpose. You should get them the same day but as for me and a few others I had to wait to get mine from the Beufort Naval Hospital. But yes you will get portholes.

Zulu 36
06-02-10, 05:46 PM
To be able to do pull ups, you must do pull ups. Other upper body exercises help too, but nothing replaces doing pull ups.

Don't go for minimums. Go for a solid pass on a full PFT, not just the bare minimum on the IST.

Rocky C
06-02-10, 05:57 PM
To be able to do pull ups, you must do pull ups. Other upper body exercises help too, but nothing replaces doing pull ups.

Don't go for minimums. Go for a solid pass on a full PFT, not just the bare minimum on the IST.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: