PDA

View Full Version : IST Question

Zwoods2010
06-01-10, 09:58 PM
Hello Marines,
I have a quick question about how to increase my IST and if it's good enough for my mos0321
I am not yet a poolee because I am pursueing a med waiver. I have to do a consult before I know if I'm going to be accepted.
However, my recruiter found it neccesary for me to do a mock IST to send along with my papers to proove I was in good shape.
I did 118 sit ups 26 Pull ups and ran a mile and a half in 9:31.
I was wondering if I needed to drastically improve this for Recon, or if I'm good where I'm at for right now. If it needs improving, any tips on how would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
P.S My recruiter was quite impressed but was unsure how much more preperation I would need for recon.

Zulu 36
06-01-10, 11:00 PM
Hello Marines,
I have a quick question about how to increase my IST and if it's good enough for my mos0321
I am not yet a poolee because I am pursueing a med waiver. I have to do a consult before I know if I'm going to be accepted.
However, my recruiter found it neccesary for me to do a mock IST to send along with my papers to proove I was in good shape.
I did 118 sit ups 26 Pull ups and ran a mile and a half in 9:31.
I was wondering if I needed to drastically improve this for Recon, or if I'm good where I'm at for right now. If it needs improving, any tips on how would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
P.S My recruiter was quite impressed but was unsure how much more preperation I would need for recon.

That is a pretty good IST. Start working up to a full PFT. Actually you're already there and maxed for crunches and pullups. Since you seem to be in pretty good basic shape, you can afford to play with other forms of exercise (weights, etc).

For recon, swimming skills are very important. A high first class PFT is essential. If you can do three-miles in 18-minutes or less, with your other scores, you can max the PFT. Search the recon topic on this site. It has been discussed extensively.

Capital M
06-02-10, 07:40 PM
Hope you aren't planning to go to boot camp anytime soon withan 03 contract. My rs was already promising FY11 03 spots in January. Good luck.. But killer IST

Zwoods2010
06-03-10, 12:20 AM
Thanks!
Yea, My recruiter told me it would be October before I left for boot camp.
I've been preparing for the military since 8th grade so I was ready for the IST. I usually typically run 2-3 miles every two days, so I think I can do the 3 mile. Thanks again for your time and serving our country.