PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good Marine?

ocelot2
05-28-10, 03:00 AM
I'm curious about what makes a good marine and how to become one.

Are they titles like scout sniper and recon? Is that why so many want to be them? Or does it have to do with rank, like is a Sergeant Major inherently a better Marine than a Sergeant or a Lance Corporal? Experience? Character? Or not?

I asked a Corporal and he said that if you want to be a good Marine all you need to do is a little bit of exercise everyday and highly qualify in any task the Corps asks you to do? Is that all?

Zulu 36
05-28-10, 02:04 PM
I'm curious about what makes a good marine and how to become one.

Are they titles like scout sniper and recon? Is that why so many want to be them? Or does it have to do with rank, like is a Sergeant Major inherently a better Marine than a Sergeant or a Lance Corporal? Experience? Character? Or not?

I asked a Corporal and he said that if you want to be a good Marine all you need to do is a little bit of exercise everyday and highly qualify in any task the Corps asks you to do? Is that all?

An excellent philosophical question, young Padawan.

Answering your questions kind of bass ackwards, no a SgtMaj isn't necessarily a better Marine than a Sergeant, or a Lance, or even a Private. He is more experienced and hopefully has learned well from that experience.

What makes a good Marine? Character is certainly one aspect. Being highly dedicated to excellence in your craft is another (this includes physical fitness, professional knowledge and skills, and education, including self-education through reading). Motivation and courage (both physical and moral) are important to being a good Marine.

Some infantry Sergeants may be far better battlefield tacticians and leaders under fire than many Sergeant Majors who did not have an intense infantry combat background. This is usually caused by MOS assignments, luck of unit assignment when wars started, etc. But that doesn't necessarily mean the Sergeant is a "better" Marine.

I'm sure there are many Marines on this site who knew "yardbird" Privates and PFCs who were a total pain to deal with in garrison, but absolutely were the guys to depend on in combat. I did. But did their garrison behavior mean they were "bad" Marines?

In fact, I think a couple of the members of this site were "yardbirds" who did their jobs quite well in combat. Their performance when the crap was hitting the fan is what they will be ultimately remembered for by their combat buddies.

Are Marines who become recon or scout-snipers "better" Marines. One hopes so due to the much increased responsibility they have. Is it good to have a Sergeant Major who is a "better" Marine? Absolutely.

But, in my not so humble opinion, who is a "good Marine" comes down to excellent performance when it counts.

duarte
05-28-10, 04:47 PM
What makes a good Marine? Exellent question.

Pride will take Marines a long way. Every time I put on my uniform, I don't think about what it cost me to become what my name tape reads. I think about what cost those before me who paved the way so that the organization wouldn't fall to the ground and remain standing tall. The Corps is a LEGACY, given as a gift from those men that served before us, and it is our responsabilities to keep it alive. One of our Commandants said it best, "America does not NEED a Marine Corps, America WANTS a Marine Corps..." and this is because of our high standards of values, our work ethic, our pride that makes us stand taller than everyone else. Not saying that I'm a good Marine, that is not for me to say, but having this special feeling of Legacy that I'm carrying in my shoulders helps me stay focused, helps me want to be the best at what a Marine does, at work, or off work. Because as cliche as it sounds, once you become a Marine, you will always be one. Whether in uniform, or out of uniform, you are not the only one that will be held responsible for your actions, the organization as a whole will. Because if I kill 4 little boys, the headline in the news won't say Juan Duarte killed 4 little boys, it will read A MARINE killed 4 little boys, therefore you should carry yourself at a higher standard and know that there are things that Marines simply don't do. Now that is another subject and I'm tired of running my suck.

Rocky C
05-28-10, 05:20 PM
What makes a Good Marine?

Excellent Performance of Your Duties and Excellent Moral Character while Serving.
Same goes for when you are Not on Active Duty Anymore.

Once a Marine, Always a Marine.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Apache
05-28-10, 09:18 PM
Honor Courage Committment

Sgt Leprechaun
05-28-10, 09:26 PM
Followed by "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome". An excellent question.

ocelot2
05-29-10, 11:03 PM
So I asked a Staff Sergeant a similar question today and I really liked his answer.

"You see, we check each other out (no homo). We inspect each other and make sure that we always look good and be able to do our duty.

The thing I like about the Marine Corps is that if you don't like your boss, do better than him and get promoted. Whine and witch all you what. First, I'll tell them to shut up. Second, I'll tell them to take the imitative to improve instead of working, walk home and play xbox (I'm serous this is the real world now, you can do that kind of...).

Looking for a leader is easy. Just leave a wrapper in the front door and see who picks it up. It's doing the right thing when no one's looking."

I say "So how do you know what is the right thing all the time? This stuff is learned right?"

"Yea, everyone has a toolbox, you two happen to have empty ones. As you go you'll see different things. You'll be like "I like how this guy takes care of business or this guy", you'll copy this and it'll be a tool in your toolbox. As you go it will get bigger and then everything will mix into your unique style of leadership.

Too be honest, I want Marines to mess up because if you mess up and get into a lot of trouble and you start to see the person next to you doing the same thing, you'll stop it because you will care for your fellow Marines. And that is leading, even though most won't realize it."

Respect.

thezero
05-30-10, 12:15 AM
Police your own. Be on time. Take pride in your uniform and don't let yourself or your uniforms look like sh*t. Customs and courtisies. Have that switch where you can go from a lightened joking mood to a serious demeanor ready to work. Help your fellow Marines out, if they struggle physically or mentally help them. Be motovated. Take your ass chewings like a man. You should set the example and be the one that others look up to. The only bar you should have to pass are those that your NCO's and SNCO's have set not one that your peer has set.

CQB0316
05-30-10, 12:19 AM
What makes a good Marine? Or what makes a Marine that you would want to serve in combat with? I would take a Marine any day of the week who knows his job, has flawless Infantry tactics and can shoot what hes aiming at over a Marine with tight sleeves, high boot blousings, high and tight hair cut, blacked out chevrons, blah blah, etc etc. But then again, to me a good Marine is a Marine that I would want to go to combat with.

firedog974
05-30-10, 01:11 AM
My senior DI had his own explanation, and it is the best I have ever heard. He said being a "complete" Marine is something you have to always work for. It is almost an unattainable goal. He said Marines always strive for more...in everything. They do not ever feel they have earned their title as a Marine, until they do more. And there is ALWAYS more to do. There is always another challenge to overcome, another Marine to lead, and another skill to master. Your pack NEVER comes off. There is ALWAYS another hill to climb.
In other words, to be a great Marine, you need to embrace all of what being a Marine is about. Always challenge yourself, and continuously strive for more (of EVERYTHING).
That about sums it up, in my book.....

jrod02
05-30-10, 07:22 AM
And there you have it. <br />
<br />
But to add to that, a Great Marine also is a Great Human Being. Just because you have an Expert Rifle badge or 35 medals doesn't make you a great Marine if you're ****ting...

Big Jim
05-30-10, 08:42 AM
My senior DI had his own explanation, and it is the best I have ever heard. He said being a "complete" Marine is something you have to always work for. It is almost an unattainable goal. He said Marines always strive for more...in everything. They do not ever feel they have earned their title as a Marine, until they do more. And there is ALWAYS more to do. There is always another challenge to overcome, another Marine to lead, and another skill to master. Your pack NEVER comes off. There is ALWAYS another hill to climb.
In other words, to be a great Marine, you need to embrace all of what being a Marine is about. Always challenge yourself, and continuously strive for more (of EVERYTHING).
That about sums it up, in my book.....

I whole-heartedly and 110% agree...!! The strive to be better is a never ending process....even though SOME people may bring out the worst in us. NOONE is immune from that...including me (LOL)....but the key to being a decent and fine Marine is the effort.....that's what MOST people...even some of us that get out of the Corps....don't have or take with us as we travel through life on this little blue marble. So the effort is the key....!!! SEMPER FI.....!!