PDA

View Full Version : Marines Right For Me?

TurkeySub
05-23-10, 08:38 PM
Hi Guys,

A little background: I am currently 22 year old Male who works quite high up (Director of Operations) in a nicely sized hosting company (Web Hosting, Game Servers, etc.).

As of late the gaming industry is going down hill fast and in turn negatively impacting my financial income and currently forcing me to still live with my parents (Not that's totally bad, but I want to move on).

I do love my job (I really love it), but the economy is not getting much better and now that the Euro is about to tank I am seeing my job having a not so long life expectancy.

I have struggled in college and I never liked school - I am very hands on person and just can't make it work doing by the text book.

So in short, I believe I am at a cross road of where to go with my life. I know if I lose my job finding another is most likely not going to happen and on top of that I have no idea what I want to do with my life, no clue at all.

I had some earlier ideas to go into the pilot, police force, forest ranger and a few other things. I found when I started training to fly single engine planes that I pulled the short straw and am red green color blind. After more research I found everything I wanted to do in life is not possible being red green color blind.

So here I am, no idea what to do with my life and wanting to keep moving forward I am looking to join the service as my next step forward and to give me time to figure whats next.

I also read the service will help me get over some personal issues such as lack of confidence and set me up to get my a** in gear with a real direction.

In the end, I am looking for some feedback and some real life info on the color blind issue - How have you guys fared having been color blind and what have you moved into for your MOS?

Thanks!

Lisa 23
05-23-10, 10:29 PM
First, it's "Marines", not hey guys.
Second, do a search on the site for color blindness, as this has been covered before.

TurkeySub
05-23-10, 10:45 PM
First, it's "Marines", not hey guys.
Second, do a search on the site for color blindness, as this has been covered before.
My apologies, wasn't meaning to insult anyone.

I have already done the search but everything I found was nothing more than looking at what they can and can't do. I am more looking to see if there is anyone with color blindness that has taken to the next step and has some pointers and info to share back.

Thanks!

TinDragon
05-23-10, 10:46 PM
Color blindness doesn't really stop you from too much in the Marines, not that I've noticed anyway. As far as afterwards, no idea.

I'd say give it a shot, join the Marines (maybe for a technie job? I dunno) and see where life takes you from there.

TurkeySub
05-23-10, 10:53 PM
Color blindness doesn't really stop you from too much in the Marines, not that I've noticed anyway. As far as afterwards, no idea.

I'd say give it a shot, join the Marines (maybe for a technie job? I dunno) and see where life takes you from there.
Thanks!

Yeh, I was looking at the 26XX and found some of those to be more in my area of interest - I know one thing I have learned so far in life and current employment, I like technology, but not being stuck behind the desk all day long.

Another thought pattern, knowing a second language such as farsi - would you recommend learning it?

TinDragon
05-23-10, 11:02 PM
It'd probably be useful to know it of course, but if you're thinking about doing it to become a cryptolinguist I'd recommend against it, for the same reason that people recommend not trying to learn how to shoot before coming in. The Marine Corps has very specific ways of doing things, and if you have prior habits then they have to break those first before you'll be able to do it their way.

But if it's just for kicks and giggles or just to help you out a little in a different job, it can't hurt.

TurkeySub
05-23-10, 11:15 PM
It'd probably be useful to know it of course, but if you're thinking about doing it to become a cryptolinguist I'd recommend against it, for the same reason that people recommend not trying to learn how to shoot before coming in. The Marine Corps has very specific ways of doing things, and if you have prior habits then they have to break those first before you'll be able to do it their way.

But if it's just for kicks and giggles or just to help you out a little in a different job, it can't hurt.
Understood, thank you.

haebyungdae
05-24-10, 06:21 AM
There are plenty of jobs in the Marines that would probably fulfill your interest in computers and technology, and like-wise there are plenty of jobs in the Marines that would benefit from Marines that have proficient skills in such areas as you have. Just look around and see what you like and feel free to ask questions about things.

FPM
05-24-10, 07:37 AM
TurkeySub, There are plenty of MOS's available to you IF you decide to enlist even with color blindness. That having been said the Marine Corps is not a place you go to in order to give yourself time to think about and plan your future, For the most part you will be way to busy, possibly up to a year for the initial training BC, MCT, MOS School. There is also the possibility of a Deployment. It is something you need to decide yes or no this is going to be the next phase in my life because it WILL be 4 years long. That time can pass very quickly or extremely slowly (95% dependent on you) As far as getting your a** in gear YOU need to develop this trait before you sign any papers.

Sorry for the long winded responce

:flag:

TLove250
05-24-10, 09:21 AM
I was in telecom, and I had a Marine who was/is colorblind. He told me that it did not stop him from doing his job, but that there were areas in the Corps he could not work. Yes, if you can make it through boot camp you can be a Marine. Talk to your/a recruiter, your situation would simply be another factor in choosing a MOS.
When I went in I was fluent in Spanish. It was not necessary for my MOS, but it helped me bond with some of my fellow Marines. And I didn't use it for work purposes until I was a civilian, again. But, knowing a second language is a good thing in life, in general. Talk to a recruiter, there may be other things you need to focus on. :-)

TJR1070
05-24-10, 10:37 AM
A couple things to keep in mind while going through the process, always be completely honest and forthcoming with your recruiter and yourself, be prepared to wait ( the old adage "hurry up and wait" even applies to poolee's), keep yourself in shape, and if you do decide to join participate with your detachment's poolee functions to prepare yourself for the toughest challenge you have ever faced in your life.