PDA

View Full Version : In a bit of a rut...

pskyle
05-14-10, 05:30 PM
I made a thread a while back asking if there is anyway for me to join the USMC, as I am a Canadian citizen. I understand that I need a Green Card and bona fide address.

Here is the thread just in case, anybody wants to read: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?p=626394#post626394

I recently got an email from USCIS telling me the possible ways I can immigrate and work towards getting a Green card.

Here is the email/letter:

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail.

These are some ways you can get an immigrant visa:
In order to get a green card through a family based process at least one of your parents must be American citizen, or your siblings (21 or older), your spouse, or your children (21 and older). If this is your situation your American qualifying relative needs to file a form I-130.

Other options:
There are also employment based immigrant visas (E1, E2, E3) This immigrant visas are for aliens with extraordinary abilities in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics with sustained national or international acclaim, outstanding professors and researchers, certain multinational executives and managers (E1). Professionals from fields of work requiring an advanced academic degree, aliens with exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business which will benefit the US's economy welfare or cultural or educational interests (E2). Skilled workers wit at least two years training or experience in that type of work, professionals, and other workers capable of performing unskilled labor for which qualified workers are not available in the U. S. For any of the above referenced immigrant visas form I-140 is needed. For these immigrant visas you first need to file form I-140 according to the instruction in our website www.uscis.gov (http://www.uscis.gov/) then you will have to go under consular processing in order to get an immigrant visa (green card). Decision on I-140 could take around four months plus the processing time for the Consular processing.

E5 (C5/T5) Classification is for people intending to invest substantial sums of money to set up a new commercial enterprise in the U. S. that will provide employment for at least ten U. S. citizens or LPRs. For this kind of visas a form I-526 is needed.
Regards,
USCIS/pfcg

I have no immediate relatives that are US citizens...only aunts, uncles, cousins etc. and I do not qualify in the "Other options" categories.

I spoke with an American immigration lawyer, explaining my goal and what I needed to get there. He said that he will be able to get me to my goal (within 1-1 1/2 years) and the best way was through a job that my cousin is offering me (he owns a business). In the "Other options" section I do not see any ways that indicate I can immigrate with this method the lawyer suggests using. He also did tell me this will cost a lot of money. If I spend a large sum of money, which is difficult for me to obtain but possible, there is no personal problem that I have with the issue. But I am worried that this investment might not work, I am not sure what the lawyer is saying is possible. I would be more than happy to make an investment in my future if I was told by USCIS that I can use this way.

Another option I was considering is joining the Canadian Forces working with them for a while and than maybe trying to transfer to the USMC, or apply...keeping the fact in mind that I will have the skills and credentials to obtain the Green card.

Or should I go to school, complete a degree and try to obtain a career in the US?

I hope I can get some replies and advice on what to do as I am having a bit of trouble making a decision right now...

Thanks for any help and all who read

-SP

Rocky C
05-14-10, 05:34 PM
Get Married. American of course..........

pskyle
05-14-10, 05:39 PM
Get Married. American of course..........

hahaha...I know you are joking but a representative that I called on Visa info. actually suggested this. I told her that I would eventually have been found out that I am faking and abused the exercise. On top of that I have no way of supporting a spouse...she just lol'd.

brecon65
05-14-10, 07:28 PM
If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way.

One of the finest Marines I ever served with was a Canadian. I'll never forget him - check him out on the "Virtual Wall"
http://www.virtualwall.org/dc/CampbellRK01a.htm

Zulu 36
05-14-10, 09:57 PM
Unfortunately for you, there is no such thing as transferring from the Canadian Forces to the US Military.

Another thing I've learned over the years, immigration matters should NOT cost a lot of money when you're trying to do it legally. Especially when paid to lawyers. It may take a lot of time, but shouldn't cost a lot of money.

As an example: My ex-wife is a naturalized US citizen from Cuba. She did all of her own paperwork to get her citizenship when she was 19. Later, while she was working as a secretary at an engineering firm, a lot of the engineers were from India on work visas. Several were trying to apply for residency, but needed help with the paperwork. Some were paying huge amounts of money for someone to basically fill in some forms.

My ex got mad when she heard the prices they were paying. So she had all of the engineers who needed help bring her their stuff and she did it for them for free.

So, the paperwork you should be able to do on your own.

The only other option I can see is to claim to be Mexican and come on over.

pskyle
05-15-10, 11:14 AM
Unfortunately for you, there is no such thing as transferring from the Canadian Forces to the US Military.

Another thing I've learned over the years, immigration matters should NOT cost a lot of money when you're trying to do it legally. Especially when paid to lawyers. It may take a lot of time, but shouldn't cost a lot of money.

As an example: My ex-wife is a naturalized US citizen from Cuba. She did all of her own paperwork to get her citizenship when she was 19. Later, while she was working as a secretary at an engineering firm, a lot of the engineers were from India on work visas. Several were trying to apply for residency, but needed help with the paperwork. Some were paying huge amounts of money for someone to basically fill in some forms.

My ex got mad when she heard the prices they were paying. So she had all of the engineers who needed help bring her their stuff and she did it for them for free.

So, the paperwork you should be able to do on your own.

Thanks a lot for you advice, I appreciate it very much. I don't think I could use the Mexican claim haha as they would be able to find out I am a Canadian citizen easily...but I have decided that I would go to uni and apply to an American uni/college and go via student visa...which I was told would work. Thanks for all the replies

Marine84
05-15-10, 11:33 AM

ROTFLMAO!