PDA

View Full Version : Silent Drill Platoon

RogueSteel
05-13-10, 01:53 AM
Good Evening Gentlemen,
I have always wanted to be a Marine, but one in the Silent Drill Platoon, so much so I was on the Drill Team for my High School ROTC (I know there is no comparison). I was just wondering what one must do to be considered/selected after meeting the height and weight requirements they are looking for due to the desire for seamless uniformity and perfection.

Thank you for your time,
Poolee Taylor

Lisa 23
05-13-10, 08:22 AM
While I think it's great that you want to do this, why don't you worry more about making it through boot camp/recruit trainging first, MCT training and your MOS school.

http://www.mbw.usmc.mil/images/mbw_header.jpg

The United States Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon is a 24-man rifle platoon that performs a unique precision drill exhibition. This highly disciplined platoon exemplifies the professionalism associated with the United States Marine Corps.

The Silent Drill Platoon first performed in the Sunset Parades of 1948 and received such an overwhelming response that it soon became a regular part of the parades at Marine Barracks, Washington, D.C.

The Marines execute a series of calculated drill movements and precise handling of their hand-polished, 10 and one-half pound, M-1 Garand rifles with fixed bayonets. The routine concludes with a unique rifle inspection sequence demonstrating elaborate rifle spins and tosses.

These Marines are individually selected from the Schools of Infantry located in Camp Pendleton, CA and Camp Lejune, NC from interviews conducted by Barracks personnel. Once selected, Marines are assigned to Marine Barracks, Washington, D.C. to serve a 2-year ceremonial tour. Beyond their ceremonial duties, the Marines collaterally train in the field as infantrymen. Throughout the year, these Marines hone their infantry skills at the Marine Corps Combat Development Command in Quantico, VA and other bases.

Experienced members of the Silent Drill Platoon have the opportunity to audition to become Rifle Inspectors. They must go through inspection tryouts graded by the Rifle Inspectors of the previous year. Only two Marines per year are selected to become Rifle Inspectors. They, along with the Platoon Drill Master, are entrusted with keeping and passing on the unique knowledge and traditions of the Silent Drill Platoon.

Once the year's Silent Drill Platoon Marines are selected each fall, they begin their rigorous training at Marine Barracks, Washington D.C. and later move to Marine Corps Air Station, Yuma, AZ in order to perfect the routine. Throughout the year, they perform in front of hundreds of thousands of spectators at Marine Barracks, Washington, D.C. and at numerous events across the United States and abroad.

http://www.mbw.usmc.mil/sdpdefault.asp

RogueSteel
05-13-10, 11:04 AM
I was really just looking for more information,thank you WMarine for the help! It is much appreciated!
We'll see how my Marine Corps experience plays out, it wouldn't be a disappointment [for me] not to make it, just a great honor to be chosen.

il duce
05-13-10, 11:19 AM
I've got two very close friends at 8th & I

If I remember correctly, you must be 6ft or taller and have a muscular build. The exact wording on the memo I read said "corn fed". They only pick from 03xx at the last week of ITB and absolutely no Reservists (thats what killed me). UZ contracts can be taken as well. They only take as many Marines to fill open slots so theres a good chance your company could graduate and not have any picked. One thing that is overlooked that I thought was rather cool was the Body Bearers... typically the Marines that are tall enough for 8th & I but just a bit 'too muscular'. Those are the Marines on funeral detail at Arlington National Cemetary

Bdchi1
05-13-10, 12:29 PM
I was on the Drill Team (now Platoon) in the early '90s. I tried out as a second year marcher from one of the marching platoons. Marines taking my approach were referred to as Mustangs. We took a lot more abuse from the Drill Team members during Silent Drill School (SDS).

As for height: while I was at the Barracks, there was a "preferred" height range for the marching platoons. While I was on the SDT, our shortest member was 5'10.5" and our tallest member was about 6'3". We all looked the same height due to our marching position within the team. I marched the Counter's Spot; meaning 2nd column, 4th row (a.k.a. the 2-4 spot). This meant I was median height for the marching 24. To march the 2-4 you have to accept the Counter's role.

As far as selection for 8&I marching companies, either A or B Cos, it is all about timing. By timing, I mean that you first must go through CDS (Ceremonial Drill School) to learn all the basics required of all marching platoons. These schools begin forming later in the year around the October time frame. Once that school is completed, then the CDS grads are sent to their respective platoons. If you are outstanding during the CDS then you might be considered for SDS.

The SDT is mostly comprised of 1st year and 2nd year Marines, where most of the 2nd year Marines rotate to the FMF after their second Parade Season, and are replaced by the prior parade season's 1st year Marines. Every position on the SDT is up for grabs each year. This means that every Marine must be prepared to compete for their position and be prepared for challenges throughout the year. Just because you are a second year member doesn't mean that you automatically get a marching spot. However, they almost always do.

The SDT will look to how many members are rotating to the FMF and will then make a decision on how many CDS grads to take into the SDS. Most Marines going into the SDS will be dropped or cut along the way, with the final cuts being made in Yuma just prior to the West Coast Tour. Therefore, the number of CDS grads that get selected for SDS varies from year to year, but is based on the average drop-out/cut rate.

SDS is best when you are fresh from MCT/SOI because you are still used to being treated like a boot. However, if you do it as a Mustang, you have to concede to the fact that you are a second year Marine being treated like a boot all over again. That is a tough pill to swallow at times.

SDS begins very late in the year, so recruiting efforts at the SOI's begins with the middle to late summer SOI classes. If you are selected for the B-billet, then you will rotate from SOI to the Barracks to begin CDS.

So, if you really want a shot at 8&I, then you need to time everything accordingly for boot camp and MCT/SOI. For example, might be able to contact the Barracks and ask when recruiting trips will be made by the Ceremonial Platoons.

In addition to all of the crap stated above, you do not need to be muscled up, but you must present yourself properly. You must be without facial scars and acne problems, etc...

My disclaimer for the above is that it has been 20 years since I marched on the SDT, so things may have changed regarding the recruiting process.

Let me know if you want any more dated information.

RogueSteel
05-14-10, 01:27 AM
With a ship date of 20101213 I'm pretty much SOL then huh?

Bdchi1
05-14-10, 09:22 AM
With a ship date of 20101213 I'm pretty much SOL then huh?

That does present a problem. As WMarine said though, you should just focus on becoming a Marine, then completing your MOS training. Once that's all done, thrive as a Marine, become a Staff-NCO and go to 8th&I as a Platoon SGT.

There is a lot more to the Corps than the Drill Platoon. Trust me on that.

RogueSteel
05-14-10, 08:10 PM
Sounds like plan,thank you Bdchi1.

il duce
05-14-10, 08:19 PM
...or, if you cannot get a ship date in Jan or early Feb, just try to get 30 days of RA after Boot and by the time you finish ITB, they may be picking up... just a thought

New York
05-18-10, 06:43 PM
Im at 8th and I, we all got selected out of ITB.

I'll say this, if youre going 0311 to be on SDP, youre in for a surprise. Bdchi probably knows what I'm talking about. I was in SDS as well, and if youre into repeating boot camp all over again, as in the mental games, then SDS and SDP drill is for you.

I'm not gonna go into the politics of it, but if in all glory its what you want and believe your ROTC drill has prepared you for it, then prepare to stand-by, THIS IS NOT THE HS DRILL, THIS IS USMC DRILL, SDP DRILL, for that matter.

If you're moto enough, you'll make the cut, but do realize the drop rate is something like 3 out 5. Think about it, as a grunt, this is not what I wanted to do, but hey... Needs the of the Corps...

And when you become a Marine, if you do it that far..come talk to me, and ill share, from Marine to Marine what it's all about. barney style...

Stay Semper Gumby

indygti
05-18-10, 08:13 PM
I wanted to go the 8th and I really bad when I first enlisted and it just so happened that they were screening people for the SDP when I was at SOI. They disqualified me because of my tattoos and I was pretty bumbed. That is until two months later and I got a call from one of my buddies from SOI who said it sucked. I felt better after that.

Phantom Blooper
05-18-10, 09:53 PM
PM this Marine....

His onsite name is 8th & I...

He along with the others have given you....you should be able to come up with some first hand scoop...

Maybe dated...but 8th & I in Washington has been around since 1801....

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=966

:evilgrin:

RogueSteel
05-19-10, 06:10 PM
I really appreciate all the input! I just finished HS and am currently working on general orders and PT what not, but rest assured that I will continue to strive on my quest to be member of the Silent Drill Platoon. Thank you again!