PDA

View Full Version : The DLAB

civ-sec
05-08-10, 09:42 PM
I decided to join the Marine Corps several years ago, and decided that Intel was the right job for me several months ago. It interested me, seemed challenging, and also seemed to set up a sound resume for intel careers to come after my enlistment was up because of the experience and security clearances it provides. I knew it would require a lot of schooling and hard work and that to get the security clearances my background would be comprehensively investigated. What I didn’t know is that to even get a shot at an intelligence MOS I had to pass the DLAB, a test that according to my recruiter 95% of his recruitees do not pass.

I had heard of the DLAB before and I knew it was an exam that everyone with an intel MOS had to take, but from my knowledge it did not have to be passed, and passing it only meant you had a greater chance at getting a linguistics/translator MOS. This was apparently just changed recently, and it now must be passed. This is a bit of a problem for me because I have a very poor aptitude for learning new languages.

Intel is where my heart is, and I really want to do it. I have followed the advice on about.com and I’m starting to use the tools it recommends, but I was also interested in hearing if anyone on this forum has any advice for passing the DLAB, or have any comments on it in general. Thanks a lot.

TinDragon
05-09-10, 10:49 AM
I haven't heard about any new requirements through MarAdmins or anything. If there's a requirement, it's your recruiting station's requirement (maybe all the recruiting stations in the area, whatever).

As far as the Corps is concerned, you just need to have one on the books, you don't need to have passed it.

As far as actual advice on it, there's not really much you can do to study for it or anything... either your brain works like that, or it doesn't.