PDA

View Full Version : Is this right?

PooleePayne
05-07-10, 05:05 PM
Hi, my name is Dakotah. I am a poolee in the United States Marine Corps, and I believe I have noticed something unusual. I am used to seeing military men and women walking around the town, but on one occasion at a bulk grocery store I noticed something odd. I saw a Marine walking around in his Utility Uniform. Would this be a dead give away that he is a fake, or just me jumping to conclusions? Also note that he was with a buddy who was wearing the same thing. Thank you for your time Marines.

Lisa 23
05-07-10, 05:21 PM
You're jumping to conclusions....and don't worry about it.

PooleePayne
05-07-10, 05:23 PM
Thank you for the answer WMarine.

Rocky C
05-07-10, 05:47 PM
Good Question!!!
When I was on Active Duty I lived off base so when I was going home and had to stop at the Store in Utes it was no Big Deal. Common Practice then.

Couldn't sit down in a Restaurant though.

FattyTheFerret
05-07-10, 06:16 PM
It may not have been real or it may have just been a civilian wearing it. I've seen people wearing faded green MARPAT trousers with a tshirt at the mall. I was curious so I asked and he'd just bought it at a surplus store. Wasn't even the real thing. He wasn't claiming to be a Marine so he wasn't a poser but honestly, there's no law that says civilians can't buy genuine cammies off ebay and wear them whenever they want.

Don't worry too much about it. If he's a Marine and goes out like that as a habit, chances are he'll eventually be spotted and have his ass chewed.

Rocky C
05-07-10, 06:19 PM
Don't worry too much about it. If he's a Marine and goes out like that as a habit, chances are he'll eventually be spotted and have his ass chewed.

Fatty, is that the rule now, no cammies off base???

FattyTheFerret
05-07-10, 06:25 PM
Fatty, is that the rule now, no cammies off base???

Indeed. You can commute in cammies but can only leave your vehicle for a "bona fide emergency".

I'll find the exact wording in the order, one sec.

FattyTheFerret
05-07-10, 06:33 PM
Correction:

2. The utility uniform is a working uniform. Wear of the utility uniform is authorized while commuting to and from work to include all travel aboard DODowned/controlled aircraft. The utility uniform may also be worn for brief and appropriate stops off-base during duty hours or while commuting. In addition to emergency/maintenance stops, Marines are allowed to make brief, essential stops off-base during duty hours and while commuting to and from their place of duty, such as:

a. when dropping off/picking up children from daycare centers or school;

b. obtaining gas or other essential driving aids (wiper blades, snow chains, fluids, lights, etc.);

c. picking up/dropping off dry-cleaning;

d. off-base financial institutions; to include automatic teller machines; (ALMAR 107/96)

e. picking up vehicles at repair shops or gas stations;

f. at drive-thru windows where exiting the vehicle is not required; and,

g. at a convenience store or drug store solely for the purchase of emergency childcare or health products (milk, diapers, medicine, etc.).

3. Marines are prohibited from wearing the utility uniform as a liberty uniform off-base or during inappropriate circumstances such as:

a. at restaurants, pizza parlors, bars, lounges, etc.;

b. when dealing with public officials (police, courthouse, attorneys);

c. while attending classes or activities, or conducting business at education facilities;

d. at commercial airports/bus stations for travel or entering pick/drop off passengers;

e. at retail/rental stores, shopping malls, and shops for shopping or paying bills;

f. at grocery stores/supermarkets;

g. at movie theaters, mini-golf, or other similar entertainment/recreational or sporting activities.That may be a recent change because I could have sworn it used to say only emergency stops (no gas, even) were allowed.

http://www.marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/MCO%20P1020.34G%20W%20CH%201-4.pdf

Paragraph 2005

TunTvrnWarrior
05-07-10, 07:51 PM
In the 1980's and 1990's all Marine Corps Bases that I traveled to or was stationed at, had this order in place. The only base where I saw that it was relaxed was Cherry Point.