PDA

View Full Version : Info on a couple MOSs

Cortillaen
05-05-10, 10:58 PM
First off, for some reason, the search captcha image won't show up for me (tried on FF and IE, reloaded, disabled ad-blocker and anti-virus, you name it), so I can't search for anything. I wouldn't be asking this otherwise. If anyone knows why this is happening or how to fix it, my ears-er... eyes are open.

After talking with the recruiter and moving along with my physical conditioning (down three belt notches in less than a month), the plan is to try to join right at the beginning of the new fiscal year. In addition to being my best shot at getting a boot camp slot at all (the entire region is accepting only one high-school grad per month), this gives me the best chance of getting a MOS I want, specifically something 0300. I've read the military.about.com pages on all of the 0300s, but I was hoping to get some first-hand accounts of a couple of them.

0351, Assaultman, is the one I'm most interested in, but I've read several accounts of that MOS likely being phased out soon (possibly absorbed into 0352) and being a good way to go "terminal lance" due to extremely high promotion requirements. Can any Marines clear that up or direct me to where it has been explained before? I'd also like to know how different 0311, 0341, 0351, and 0352 are in terms of operation and duties from a grunt's perspective (ie. is the difference between rifleman and machine gunner mostly weapon rather than duty, do the 0350s typically function as riflemen when the heavier firepower isn't needed or do they just get called up at that time, etc.). Again, links if this has already been detailed elsewhere would be great.

Thanks in advance for the help, Marines, and I'll keep trying to figure out why the captcha hates me.

martinj
05-07-10, 12:06 AM
Just sign up as an 03xx and go to SOI and you will learn all about the different fields in infantry and then you can decide from there what you want to do. But you forget the most important MOS 0321 duh, lol.

brian0351
05-07-10, 01:49 AM
Each job is different and all have their own responsibilities.

What are you looking for? As for 0351 going away...who told you that?

The fact is, you don't get to chose what MOS you get. You get a wishlist and you're assignment is based on test scores and PFT while in basic infantry school.

Phantom Blooper
05-07-10, 06:35 AM
If you are having trouble with the search feature on this site PM thedrifter.

A few friends and have and had to PM the moderator to get it straightened out.:evilgrin:

Splash0341
05-07-10, 08:29 AM
First off, for some reason, the search captcha image won't show up for me (tried on FF and IE, reloaded, disabled ad-blocker and anti-virus, you name it), so I can't search for anything. I wouldn't be asking this otherwise. If anyone knows why this is happening or how to fix it, my ears-er... eyes are open.

After talking with the recruiter and moving along with my physical conditioning (down three belt notches in less than a month), the plan is to try to join right at the beginning of the new fiscal year. In addition to being my best shot at getting a boot camp slot at all (the entire region is accepting only one high-school grad per month), this gives me the best chance of getting a MOS I want, specifically something 0300. I've read the military.about.com pages on all of the 0300s, but I was hoping to get some first-hand accounts of a couple of them.

0351, Assaultman, is the one I'm most interested in, but I've read several accounts of that MOS likely being phased out soon (possibly absorbed into 0352) and being a good way to go "terminal lance" due to extremely high promotion requirements. Can any Marines clear that up or direct me to where it has been explained before? I'd also like to know how different 0311, 0341, 0351, and 0352 are in terms of operation and duties from a grunt's perspective (ie. is the difference between rifleman and machine gunner mostly weapon rather than duty, do the 0350s typically function as riflemen when the heavier firepower isn't needed or do they just get called up at that time, etc.). Again, links if this has already been detailed elsewhere would be great.

Thanks in advance for the help, Marines, and I'll keep trying to figure out why the captcha hates me.

0351 is not being phased out. thank you Lance Cpl underground. If you are lucky enough to get your wish of becoming 0351 one of two things will happen, you will go to a Weapons company and become Part of a CAAT plt. and roll around mounted. Two you will be augmented into a Line plt. and become augmented into a squad with the 0311s pounding dirt.

all the other main MOSs 0331 0341 and 0352. the same things happen to them.

in my case i wanted to be a 51. but because of my good math skill and geometry i was put in the 0341 package. but dont fret you can allways do somthing else when you get to the fleet. scout sniper, Recon, etc.

as far as Organic weapons are concerned it depends on your billet.
if your in a line plt. most likely you will get a M16a4 and will prolly be shooting the SMAW or the AT4. if you are in a Weapons comp. w/ CAAT you will prolly get an M4 and shoot Javelins. and no matter where you go you will allways get to have your Det wire and C4 and other fun assualt ****

Cortillaen
05-07-10, 01:51 PM
Just sign up as an 03xx and go to SOI and you will learn all about the different fields in infantry and then you can decide from there what you want to do. But you forget the most important MOS 0321 duh, lol.
That's the general idea, but I like to try to plan ahead whenever possible. More information is never a bad thing, in my opinion. As for dream jobs, I'd prefer 0317 to 0321, no offense.:D

Each job is different and all have their own responsibilities.

What are you looking for? As for 0351 going away...who told you that?

The fact is, you don't get to chose what MOS you get. You get a wishlist and you're assignment is based on test scores and PFT while in basic infantry school.
Mostly, I'm looking to be out with the 0311s, and I'd be fine with simply being an 0311. However, according to my recruiter, my ASVAB scores (judging from the practice ASVAB) will probably mean I'll be pushed towards one of the 03XXs with higher score requirements. I'm trying to figure out which direction will be most along the lines of "rifleman with an order of extra boom".

Regarding 0351, one of the other recruiters at my substation heard me asking about 0351 and mentioned that there wasn't anything concrete, but the sentiment from above was that 0351 and 0352 were redundant enough that one would probably get phased out sometime and that 0351 was more likely. My own recruiter said he hadn't heard anything either way, which is why I wanted some more input on the subject.

If you are having trouble with the search feature on this site PM thedrifter.

A few friends and have and had to PM the moderator to get it straightened out.:evilgrin:
Thank you, sir, but I found a way around the problem this morning. My login had timed out without me noticing, and the captcha is only required when I'm not logged in. It still won't give me anything other than a blank box, but I'll remember to check my login status next time. Incidentally, is the captcha intentionally blank as a "no searching without registration" measure?

0351 is not being phased out. thank you Lance Cpl underground. If you are lucky enough to get your wish of becoming 0351 one of two things will happen, you will go to a Weapons company and become Part of a CAAT plt. and roll around mounted. Two you will be augmented into a Line plt. and become augmented into a squad with the 0311s pounding dirt.

all the other main MOSs 0331 0341 and 0352. the same things happen to them.

in my case i wanted to be a 51. but because of my good math skill and geometry i was put in the 0341 package. but dont fret you can allways do somthing else when you get to the fleet. scout sniper, Recon, etc.

as far as Organic weapons are concerned it depends on your billet.
if your in a line plt. most likely you will get a M16a4 and will prolly be shooting the SMAW or the AT4. if you are in a Weapons comp. w/ CAAT you will prolly get an M4 and shoot Javelins. and no matter where you go you will allways get to have your Det wire and C4 and other fun assualt ****
Thank you, SGT Splash, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Is getting sent to a CAAT platoon versus a rifle platoon is just luck of the draw? I'd really prefer to to be boots-to-dirt most of the time, if at all possible.

Thanks for the advice, Marines. My goal is 03XX no matter what, but hopefully I'll have a plan put together by the time I get a Boot Camp slot. It may be just another snack for reality, but it never hurts to be prepared in case things go smoothly, right?

Splash0341
05-08-10, 08:34 AM
That's the general idea, but I like to try to plan ahead whenever possible. More information is never a bad thing, in my opinion. As for dream jobs, I'd prefer 0317 to 0321, no offense.:D

Mostly, I'm looking to be out with the 0311s, and I'd be fine with simply being an 0311. However, according to my recruiter, my ASVAB scores (judging from the practice ASVAB) will probably mean I'll be pushed towards one of the 03XXs with higher score requirements. I'm trying to figure out which direction will be most along the lines of "rifleman with an order of extra boom".

Regarding 0351, one of the other recruiters at my substation heard me asking about 0351 and mentioned that there wasn't anything concrete, but the sentiment from above was that 0351 and 0352 were redundant enough that one would probably get phased out sometime and that 0351 was more likely. My own recruiter said he hadn't heard anything either way, which is why I wanted some more input on the subject.

Thank you, sir, but I found a way around the problem this morning. My login had timed out without me noticing, and the captcha is only required when I'm not logged in. It still won't give me anything other than a blank box, but I'll remember to check my login status next time. Incidentally, is the captcha intentionally blank as a "no searching without registration" measure?

Thank you, SGT Splash, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Is getting sent to a CAAT platoon versus a rifle platoon is just luck of the draw? I'd really prefer to to be boots-to-dirt most of the time, if at all possible.

Thanks for the advice, Marines. My goal is 03XX no matter what, but hopefully I'll have a plan put together by the time I get a Boot Camp slot. It may be just another snack for reality, but it never hurts to be prepared in case things go smoothly, right?

Your welcome man if you have anymore questions just ask. Tango