PDA

View Full Version : OCS questions!

Komenko
05-02-10, 11:20 PM
Alrighty Marines, I have a friend who I've introduced to this site today and she has filled her profile out and everything! Problem for her is she can't post here due to she is a Marine Spouse, but at the same time she is in the Army Reserve and is close to completing college. So here are Xion's questions:

I wanted to ask what the differences were for the females, if the training was integrated or if they had their own DI's like recruits do.

Physically, are females participating on those 7 minutes and under runs or do they run on their own?

Also, my husband has the old school book that they issue you at the Island and someone in their mentioned that prior service have a hard time with the academics because either they forgot it or were taught different at the Island and wanted to know if reading material like that would be good for me?

Please do not address your answers to me. Address them to Xion thank you!

thezero
05-03-10, 06:43 AM
In MCT they train the same, some have a harder time applying what were taught from what I saw...I was in an all male platoon but there are mixed platoons on East Coast.

At the school house we have a female SSGT that PT's with us and does better than some of us junior's. So far if you were green were all the same

Quinbo
05-03-10, 07:12 AM
Hey Zero???

The question was about OCS
Bravo that you PT with a WM. Your information does not apply here. I read the original post and chose not to respond simply because I do not know. I am responding to your reply and my response is you should have done the same.

thezero
05-03-10, 11:53 AM
I know Sergeant I tried to edit for a delete, I just read the questions after PT. My **** up

Geagle05
05-04-10, 05:45 PM
Alrighty Marines, I have a friend who I've introduced to this site today and she has filled her profile out and everything! Problem for her is she can't post here due to she is a Marine Spouse, but at the same time she is in the Army Reserve and is close to completing college. So here are Xion's questions:

I wanted to ask what the differences were for the females, if the training was integrated or if they had their own DI's like recruits do.

Physically, are females participating on those 7 minutes and under runs or do they run on their own?

Also, my husband has the old school book that they issue you at the Island and someone in their mentioned that prior service have a hard time with the academics because either they forgot it or were taught different at the Island and wanted to know if reading material like that would be good for me?
Please do not address your answers to me. Address them to Xion thank you!

There are integrated companies with female platoons. I was in an all male company, so my answers might not be entirely accurate as I rarely saw the females. Female platoons will have their own female DIs.

On the physical aspects, I cannot answer your questions as well, because again I was not in a company with females. I do know that the females carried the same weight and humped at the same pace as the males. Now to make an educated guess, speed of the formation runs are largely dependent on whoever the staff is leading the run. The majority of the runs are formation squad fartlek runs, but there are individual timed runs as well. I think it would be safe to say that the females are held to just as high a standard as the males (again, take this with a grain of salt as I never saw the females PT).

On academics: The short answer is that this is true. I wrote a great deal about this in the thread "priors who go to OCS." Many of my closest platoon mates were prior service. For whatever reason, some did struggle with the academics on a larger rate than other non priors. My guess would be that much of this knowledge is forgotten, or thought to be easily known and not studied well enough. The knowledge you will learn at OCS is all very basic Marine Corps knowledge that includes history, customs and courtesies, M16 nomenclature, drill, etc. You might be able to find quite a bit of it online in a google search. Also there is a heavy emphasis on understanding the basic framework of the op order (SMEAC) so that is a good thing to get to know well before hand.

Hope this helps your friend Xion.

S/F

TunTvrnWarrior
05-04-10, 06:10 PM
On academics: The short answer is that this is true. I wrote a great deal about this in the thread "priors who go to OCS."
S/F

Here is the link: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89794

ammermda
05-04-10, 09:14 PM
OCC-193 had one female platoon -- from what I saw, same training except maybe the runs. (The female squads were run by the female sergeant instructors, so take that for what it is worth; I have no first hand knowledge of their pace!) But all other PT was done as a company, including the female platoon (from what I remember).

Academics: I echo what Geagle said. Bottom line: pretend it's your first time getting the information. Don't try to argue. "Well, in the fleet..." will not get you very far (unless you're trying to get dropped).

Hope that helps. Geagle is on the money; and he can probably give you a more current perspective.

SF
Lt A

TunTvrnWarrior
05-04-10, 09:26 PM
Having virtually no knowlege base of OCS, I found the info that LT Geagle and others presented on the link I posted earlier the most eye opening, informative, and articulate info I have found to date on this site regarding OCS.