PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Migraine Waiver

Zwoods2010
04-29-10, 06:06 PM
Hello all, I am a high school student and have already went through mep/s for the Navy with intention of joining the Navy Seals. I then was told I needed a medical waiver for migraines i had as a child up until high school. I havent had one in 2 years. I was denied Entry and then Denied a Naval Waiver. I am now processing with the marines for a marine waiver for my migraines. I have to go back to meps n have a consult and then they will decide if I get a waiver for it or not. I was jw if any one knows what my chances are of getting a waiver for such a thing. I played football and ran track all 4 years and in top physical condition and perfect in all aspects but this. No history of anything and passed all meds and physicals perfect. Any insight to this would be great thank you!

Rocky C
04-29-10, 06:17 PM
So the Marines were your 2nd Choice???
That gives me a Headache.......
I think your Shiat out of Luck on the Waiver but I'm no Doctor or Recruiter.

Any Waivers are Hard to come by these days..........

Lisa 23
04-29-10, 06:26 PM
Marines will always be capitalized. We don't use chat room slang here either.
The Marines here have no idea if your waiver will be approved or not, it's not up to us....and with the Marine Corps beyong meeting their quota, this type of waiver is probably slim to none on getting approved. There are many other young men and women who don't require any waivers of any type that would be able to enlist over those that need waivers.

Medical Waivers
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/medicalwaiver.htm

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Appointment Neurological disorders

History of recurrent headaches (784.0), including, but not limited to, migraines (346) and tension headaches (307.81) that interfere with normal function in the past 3 years, or of such severity to require prescription medications, are disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/neurological.htm

TinDragon
04-30-10, 07:19 AM
All I have to say on that is if you didn't have prescription medicine for your migraines, then it wasn't your best move to bring them up.

On that note, my brother's on meds for the same thing. You have to wait a certain amount of years after you're done with the meds, and then of course you need a waiver, which are pretty hard to come by.

sparkie
04-30-10, 07:37 AM
The Navy don't want ya,,,,,,the Marines do?????

Zwoods2010
05-01-10, 01:03 AM
WMarine you obviously misunderstood the question. I did not ask if I would get one, or if Marines would give me one, I simply asked what my chances were of getting one. With that said, No need to be mean I just had a question. Marines were my top choice beside the Navy seals, I just pursued seal's first. And yes the Marines must want me seeing as how as soon as my waiver was denied, the Marines called me about getting one for the USMC. So yes, they must, Thanks for the PM help and in no way did I intend to offend anyone. By the way, The waiver is being reviewed and am expected to recieve it so I'm guesing there not beyond full. Thank you, and have a good day.

Lisa 23
05-01-10, 07:25 AM
No, I didn't misunderstand your question.
Just so you and everyone else knows, I'm not being mean to you at all.

You, like many others, ask if waivers will get approved, whether it's for something medically or criminally, and we here as Marines, have no idea if waivers will get approved or not, nor how long it could take. It's not up to us.
Some waivers can be waived, while some simply cannot. Different situations medically and different offences criminally, require waiver approval at different levels in the recruiting chain-of-command. No two waivers are alike. Waivers that may be approved one week for whatever condition medically, can be disapproved another week.
And it's important to note that the applicants who require a waiver ARE NOT qualified for enlistment, unless/until a waiver is approved.
If your waiver gets approved, well....good for you.

Zwoods2010
05-01-10, 11:30 AM
AAppreciate the insight but again my question was drected to ask if anyone else had this problem and had recieved one for my problem. I was simply trying to see what my chance was.

Lisa 23
05-01-10, 11:44 AM
What may have happened for a Marine getting a waiver for a migraine a few years ago, may not happen today. You won't know what your chances are unless you talk with a recruiter face-to-face and find out for yourself.

Zulu 36
05-01-10, 05:58 PM
You are arguing against the best answer you are going to get on this subject. Waivers are few and far between these days. Your chances are slim, but not non-existent. There is often no rhyme or reason to waiver approvals or denials from day to day, week to week, etc.

Talk to the recruiter. He has the up to date info.