PDA

View Full Version : Every MOS besides 03xx??

Bama Boi
04-27-10, 08:08 PM
I know that one of the Marine Corps mottos is that every Marine is a rifleman. With that said, can every Marine outside the 03xx field actually perform well in combat and hold their own without any grunts around?
I've been wanting to know this for a while now and never got around to asking.

Thanks for your time Marines.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-27-10, 10:29 PM
Yes. However (comma) since 'combat' can be defined as everything from close in, hand to hand, to artillery, mortar, and IED blasts, that is a loose definition.

Just remember, while 'Every Marine is a rifleman', not every Rifleman can do admin, supply, bulk fuel, drive a tank, etc etc. Nor would I expect them to, as it's not their primary MOS. Admin clerks don't do tactical stuff every day, so.....

slug
04-27-10, 11:20 PM
No. The simple answer is an obvious No.

We grunts train for that and can operate accordingly, as it's our job.

I'm a machine gunner, and it's easier to explain it like this. Sure, anyone can hold down the trigger of a HMG and maybe learn immediate action, but that doesn't constitute a machine gunner. There's much more to it than pulling a trigger, as is the same for acting accordingly in combat. There's a reason why they leave combat to grunts, and not the personnel other than grunts.

brian0351
04-27-10, 11:44 PM
Actually, there have been times that non-03 Marines have found themselves in combat situations. In fact there was an Iraqi Insurgent notice put out instructing the insurgents to ignore convoys with Marines and target the ones with the Army because the Marine personnel on convoys "Dismount and fight like infantry".

I'll see if I can find that. Remember basic combat training is better than NO combat training.

Quinbo
04-28-10, 07:19 AM
Every Marine is a rifleman on qual day.

See Jack I knew I would find a way to use that quote.

Splash0341
04-28-10, 07:44 AM
No not all, but their is IMLC, ISLC, IMGLC, for POGS at divison schools that can quickly get you up to speed on most of the Organic weapons in the Marine Corps.

they do class time, practical employment, how to do ADDRACS and **** like that to properly gain PID and engage a Target and then a live fire shoot.

in NOV. 2004 Admin were used as combat replacements in the Battle for Fallujah...so with that being said allways be ready whether your fight the wars on the front line! or fighting the war on Carpel tunnel in front of the computer!

Semper Gumby Gents!

polizei
04-28-10, 11:17 AM

I'm a machine gunner, and it's easier to explain it like this. Sure, anyone can hold down the trigger of a HMG and maybe learn immediate action, but that doesn't constitute a machine gunner. There's much more to it than pulling a trigger, as is the same for acting accordingly in combat. There's a reason why they leave combat to grunts, and not the personnel other than grunts.

How about certain MOS', or do you feel it's POG wide? What about MP units for example? Even tough I'm reserve, we still train on conveys, live MK19 shoots, .50cal, etc. and train with tactics. And this isn't even as much as active field MP's. I would like to say they would be able to hold their own, but I can't, because I've never deployed.

Just curious on what you think. I wouldn't nearly expect admin or supply to know the proper way of clearing a house, like we would (and infantry). I could be wrong, but I think while MP's aren't even close to infantry, we would probably fare better than other non-combat MOS', no?

slug
04-28-10, 12:08 PM
How about certain MOS', or do you feel it's POG wide? What about MP units for example? Even tough I'm reserve, we still train on conveys, live MK19 shoots, .50cal, etc. and train with tactics. And this isn't even as much as active field MP's. I would like to say they would be able to hold their own, but I can't, because I've never deployed.

Just curious on what you think. I wouldn't nearly expect admin or supply to know the proper way of clearing a house, like we would (and infantry). I could be wrong, but I think while MP's aren't even close to infantry, we would probably fare better than other non-combat MOS', no?
Combat Support MOS's are as far as I'd go in knowing how to conduct themselves in combat. Again, knowing how to pull a trigger does not constitute knowing the job.

BR34
04-28-10, 12:16 PM
Slug, the op's question was can non-03 Marines "hold their own", not "can non-03 Marines do a grunt's job."

smoking gunz
04-28-10, 12:29 PM
Can non 03 Marines hold their own, yes and no. A lot of non 03 do convoy security now. Can they hold their own on convoys yes. Can they hold their own if they need to dismount or run normal foot patrols no. As an 03 we trained everyday for combat. Its our primary mos and our jobs. The only non 03's that did foot patrols were always implemented with us and it was only a few of them and didnt happen very often.

Covey_Rider
04-28-10, 03:59 PM
Hey now, let's not limit combat arms to the 03xx field. Currently a Combat Engineer and am proud to say that my Marines knew more, and performed much better than a very large portion of the grunts that we worked with out here in A-Stan. Much love for all of you though haha.

Bama Boi
04-28-10, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. They're much appreciated. But I was kind of hoping non infantry Marines would be able to handle their own and be effective in a combat situation.

One of the reasons why I asked this question was because I wanted to do something technical or something besides infantry but still have great combat training and maybe see combat.

Komenko
04-28-10, 10:32 PM
Hey now, let's not limit combat arms to the 03xx field. Currently a Combat Engineer and am proud to say that my Marines knew more, and performed much better than a very large portion of the grunts that we worked with out here in A-Stan. Much love for all of you though haha.

Grunts wouldn't be able to get through a mine field, breach a door with explosives, or bull doze a house down with out Engineers. ENGINEERS UP!!!

also i do recall a Female MP in the Army reserve getting awarded with a Silver Star for taking on more than 100 insergents with her convoy! of course she had help!

Its all Team work people! every MOS is important to each other.

Quinbo
04-28-10, 10:52 PM
I can't remember if she was an MP. I do know she took charge and kicked some ass. She did indeed earn the silver star for her actions.

crazymjb
04-28-10, 10:58 PM
Hold there own, usually, "be infantry," no, but it is not their job. With most MOS's that at least see a good amount of time in the field, IE Motor-T, Engineers, Comm, etc, they seem to more or less be able to hold there own, at least from what I have seen in a training environment. Admin, I'll just keep my mouth shut but lets say I've been less than impressed, consistently. But again, they don't have to be super secret scout sniper squirrels who can kill a man with a stapler, it is NOT THEIR JOB.

If you want to be Macho Marine warrior killer man, than you should probably go the 03 Route, or at least tanks or tracks. There is nothing wrong with being another MOS, but if you want to be a grunt you kinda have to be a grunt. The Marine Corps has specialties for a reason. I talked my girlfriends Sgt through dis and as of a Mk19 on the phone, as well as had a motor-T Sgt teach me how to correctly operate a Humvee when I was getting my license. Would I be fit to run a convoy, probably not. Would he be fit to run a gun line, probably not.

Mike

Komenko
04-28-10, 10:59 PM
She was!!! <br />
<br />
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/16/AR2005061601551.html

CH53MetalMan
04-28-10, 11:16 PM

This is a good answer. Spot on Jar Head.

:flag:

Covey_Rider
04-29-10, 05:46 AM
Tanks are running route clearance out here now...semper gumbi

Splash0341
04-29-10, 06:30 AM
UM yeah we would. we send the PFC out with a mine detector. call a Demo man to put a water charge on the door. and CFF on the House. we dont need a Bulldozer to get a house to come down:D <br />
<br />
we...

Bama Boi
04-29-10, 04:35 PM
Well once deployed, can a Marine volunteer for convoys or a patrol? I thought about doing that.

smoking gunz
04-29-10, 07:50 PM
You need to make a decision. If you want to do convoys and foot patrols go 03xx. If you want a technical job then do it and forget about about convoys and patrols. You cant be infantry admin.

slug
04-29-10, 09:39 PM
If you have to think about it, the grunt life is not for you. Go elsewhere, it will eat you alive.

Komenko
04-29-10, 09:43 PM
LOL i do remember a few of my Marines who were in Fallujah who told me some grunts needed a D9 to bring a house down!

Bama Boi
04-29-10, 09:47 PM
If you have to think about it, the grunt life is not for you. Go elsewhere, it will eat you alive.

I wasn't contemplating on being a grunt or not. I was just curious to how non-infantry Marines could handle themselves in combat.

Splash0341
04-30-10, 06:28 AM
LOL i do remember a few of my Marines who were in Fallujah who told me some grunts needed a D9 to bring a house down!

Yeah they just wanted to see the Armored Beast plow down Johnny Ahkbar's **** all nice and slow like! lol:D

Quinbo
04-30-10, 06:46 AM
Now that would be a sight .... an armored D-9 LOL. I wanna see that.

Splash0341
04-30-10, 07:03 AM
http://gadgets.boingboing.net/gimages/800px-D9R-pic0010.jpg

these are pretty kool to see rollin down the street!

Quinbo
04-30-10, 07:27 AM
Holy crap!! That rocks! I want one.

All would be engineers .... I worked for the phone company a while back and we leased D-9's and D-7's. The operator came with the tractor and was paid $200 an hour. We would get it as needed then give it back. They didn't want us breaking their big toy.

Komenko
04-30-10, 07:32 AM
Yeah they just wanted to see the Armored Beast plow down Johnny Ahkbar's **** all nice and slow like! lol:D

Actually the grunts were trying to clear the house and the insergents got crushed!

Splash0341
04-30-10, 07:39 AM
Actually the grunts were trying to clear the house and the insergents got crushed!

Yeah now they can fit in a fallafel:banana:...or how ever you spell that ****:thumbup: