PDA

View Full Version : I heard PFT is falling out and moving to CFT...

DevilDogsSon269
04-22-10, 05:41 PM
I was talking to my cousin who is an E-3 she was saying something about the PFT pushing out or something. Is this true and what exactly is a CFT and how can I prepare for one prior to shipping. I appreciate anything that can be given. Ive been looking forward to this for 15 years and I want to be as ready as possible to do the job as best as I possibly can. Thanks.

Lisa 23
04-22-10, 06:11 PM
As of now, I'm not sure if they do the CFT in boot camp or not. Check with your recruiter.

Marine Corps Combat Fitness Test (CFT)

Nov 9 2008

The Marine Corps has developed a Combat Fitness Test (CFT), that all Marines must pass, in addition to the standard Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test (PFT) (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blweight.htm). At this time, the CFT is pass/fail, but -- beginning in July 2009, the Marine Corps will establish points for these events, and they will count toward Marine Corps promotion points (http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marinepromotions/a/marineprom.htm), just as the PFT currently does.

The CFT consists of three events: an 880 yard run, ammo can lifts, and manuever under fire:

880 Yard Run. Marines will run for 880 yards while wearing boots and camouflage uniform (pants and t-shirt).

Ammo Can Lifts. Marines will lift a 30 pound ammo can from the ground, over their heads as many times as they can in two minutes.

Manuever Under Fire. Marines must move through a 300 yard course, and perform designated tasks, in the time limit authorized. The tasks include:

Moving in a quick scurry for 10 yards, then a high craw for another 15 yards.
Drag a casualty for 10 yards, while zigzagging through several cones. Then lift the casualty and carry him/her at a run for 65 yards.
Carry two 30-pound ammo cans for 75 yards, while zigzagging through a series of cones.
Toss a dummy grenade 22 1/2 yards and land it in a marked target circle.
Perform three push-ups, pick up the two 30-pound cans and sprint to the finish line.
For complete information about the new requirements, see ALMARS 032/08 (http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/CHANGESTOTHEMARINECORPSPHYSICALFITNESSPROGRAM.aspx ).
Right now, the CFT is pass/fail. In July 2009, the Marine Corps will establish a point system for each event. The current minimum requirements to pass the CFT are:

Combat Fitness Test Requirements

Males
Age - 17-26
880 Yard Run - 3:49
Ammo Can Lifts - 45
Maneuver Under Fire - 3:29

Age - 27-39
880 Yard Run - 4:00
Ammo Can Lifts 45
Maneuver Under Fire - 3:55

Age - 40-45
880 Yard Run - 4:19
Ammo Can Lifts - 44
Maneuver Under Fire - 3:57

Age - 46+
880 Yard Run - 4:30
Ammo Can Lifts 43
Maneuver Under Fire - 34:28

Females
Age - 17-26
880 Yard Run - 4:34
Ammo Can Lifts - 20
Maneuver Under Fire - 4:57

Age - 27-39
880 Yard Run - 4:40
Ammo Can Lifts - 21
Maneuver Under Fire - 5:27

Age - 40-45
880 Yard Run - 5:09
Ammo Can Lifts - 17
Maneuver Under Fire - 6:07

Age - 46+
880 Yard Run - 5:20
Ammo Can Lifts - 15
Maneuver Under Fire - 6:30

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/a/cft.htm

Rocky C
04-22-10, 06:12 PM
Ive been looking forward to this for 15 years and I want to be as ready as possible to do the job as best as I possibly can. Thanks.

You wanted to be a Marine since you were 3 years old ???

Quinbo
04-22-10, 06:21 PM
This one has to rank right up there with strange facts off the internet as fornication or killing a domestic animal as disqualifiers.

Males:
Age - 46+
Ammo Can Lifts 43

Females:
Age - 46+
880 Yard Run - 5:20
Ammo Can Lifts - 15
Maneuver Under Fire - 6:30

Beltayn
04-22-10, 07:27 PM
That's got to be a typo.

Beltayn
04-22-10, 07:30 PM
To address the OP, the CFT is not REPLACING the PFT as much as supplementing it.
For example, both scores factor equally into your cutting score for promotion to CPL and SGT, and Marines are expected to pass both. You will take the PFT for score in the Spring, and the CFT for official score in the Fall.

If you want to train for the CFT, google Crossfit.

FattyTheFerret
04-22-10, 07:46 PM
One good way to prep for the ammo can lift is to start lifting a 35 or 40 pound weight over your head as many times as you can. When you go to lift the 30 pounder it'll be a bit easier. Also, grip the damn thing, don't just let it rest on your wrists.

Lisa 23
04-22-10, 07:54 PM
Ooooops, my bad. It's a typo error. I corrected it below.

Males:
Age - 46+
Ammo Can Lifts 43
Maneuver Under Fire - 4:28

DevilDogsSon269
04-22-10, 08:02 PM
You wanted to be a Marine since you were 3 years old ???

my dad is a marine and my whole family is full of them Ive always wanted to be like him but in the corps ill tread my own path in it I just wanted to be like him be the great man he is.

Lisa 23
04-22-10, 08:07 PM
OK, when using the words Marine or Corps, they will be capitlized at all times. Try reading the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums too.

And for the love of the good Lord above, can you wannabes and poolees start using proper sentence structure...like capital letters at beginning of sentences, periods at the end, and punctuation marks were needed. This is getting ridiculous already.

FattyTheFerret
04-22-10, 08:08 PM
Perhaps a short writing quiz should be part of the signup process? :p

Lisa 23
04-22-10, 08:15 PM
Perhaps a short writing quiz should be part of the signup process? :p

Half would probably fail.

I know we all misspell a word here and there, but geeeez, how about using spell check, that's what it's there for.

DevilDogsSon269
04-22-10, 08:31 PM
OK, when using the words Marine or Corps, they will be capitlized at all times. Try reading the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums too.

And for the love of the good Lord above, can you wannabes and poolees start using proper sentence structure...like capital letters at beginning of sentences, periods at the end, and punctuation marks were needed. This is getting ridiculous already.

Again I apologize. I wasn't paying attention to my typing and forgot to pay attention to detail. I'll do better! I did read the site rules.

thezero
04-22-10, 09:01 PM
They do the CFT in Boot now. You have to pass it in order to graduate ALONG with the final PFT.

Also if you do crossfit right as another posted earlier you can work out for 30mins and be more broke off than just running or lifting but you get the best of both worlds with cardio and strength/muscle endurance building

MicMarine
04-23-10, 12:07 AM
I love assigning essays to the turds I come across.

2000 words on what the Poolee rules mean to you, and why you want to be a Marine. Bring it to PT at 0530 behind the gym. Your reading it as cadence after I review it. Now the whole platoon has you to thank for the formation run instead of basketball or individual PT at the gym.

Lisa 23
04-23-10, 08:12 AM
I love assigning essays to the turds I come across.

2000 words on what the Poolee rules mean to you, and why you want to be a Marine. Bring it to PT at 0530 behind the gym. Your reading it as cadence after I review it. Now the whole platoon has you to thank for the formation run instead of basketball or individual PT at the gym.
:thumbup:

Capital M
04-24-10, 02:16 PM
Don't really worry too much about the CFT. We ran it week 10? and by that time you're in good enough shape to it without much trouble. You also have Drill Instructors there to 'motivate' you in the MUF... it provides a little adrenaline rush. I ran MUF in 2:40 with a hit. 100 ammo can lifts (thought I would only be able to do like 70) and like a 2:59 800m dash.... all of which were a lot faster than I thought I was able to do. Just push yourself

It's a break off. but its only 7 minutes of pain.

My Senior told us what was going on was they were taking the PFT score for the first half of the year and CFT for the second half. Don't really know how that works or if its true but that was the rumor around Hotel.

Beltayn
04-24-10, 09:22 PM
Both scores count towards your cutting score for CPL and SGT. Failing either will land you on BCP in the fleet.

BR34
04-24-10, 09:28 PM
Don't really worry too much about the CFT. We ran it week 10? and by that time you're in good enough shape to it without much trouble. You also have Drill Instructors there to 'motivate' you in the MUF... it provides a little adrenaline rush. I ran MUF in 2:40 with a hit. 100 ammo can lifts (thought I would only be able to do like 70) and like a 2:59 800m dash.... all of which were a lot faster than I thought I was able to do. Just push yourself

It's a break off. but its only 7 minutes of pain.

My Senior told us what was going on was they were taking the PFT score for the first half of the year and CFT for the second half. Don't really know how that works or if its true but that was the rumor around Hotel.

Damn, I remember you from your poolee days. Congrats on graduating, Marine!

SlingerDun
04-24-10, 10:54 PM
...CFT and how can I prepare for one prior to shipping. I appreciate anything that can be given...Now that i know what a CFT is I'll tell you how i would prep for it, and get paid!
I see you have no occupation and 6 months to kill....
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon3.gif apply for shovel ready go-pher jobs: building construction, concrete stripper, bricklayer hoddy, warehouse trailer lumper, landscaping, roofing outfits, farm hand... 8 hours or more of physical labor in any of the above occupations will only benefit you in prepping for a military tour, and life.

--->Dave

thezero
04-24-10, 11:46 PM
Ooh Rah MicMarine. I have seen several essays handed out to Marines around here for them doing stupid ****. Now is it 4 letter or longer words that count or 5?

MicMarine
04-25-10, 12:02 AM
Both scores count towards your cutting score for CPL and SGT. Failing either will land you on BCP in the fleet.

Not BCP (Body Composition Program) , RPCP (Remedial Physical Conditioning Program, sometimes called RCP). Both are bad, I would rather be on BCP, (I was a Training Chief for 3 years) RPCP is just a way of getting hazed. BCP=Fat body, RPCP=Out of shape and can not meet the minimal standards on PT related things. The MAP (Military Appearance Program), is a a loop hole blocker they created a few years ago. You can pass the BCP standards but can be put on MAP for looking like a sea bag with lips. All programs are bad to be assigned to.

polizei
04-25-10, 08:19 AM
One of our Sgt. just told us the Corps has changed the BCP and the fat-body in general. I believe IIRC, BMI is 20% now instead of 18%, and if you are in a fat-body program and don't show progression...

Beltayn
04-25-10, 09:50 AM
Not BCP (Body Composition Program) , RPCP (Remedial Physical Conditioning Program, sometimes called RCP). Both are bad, I would rather be on BCP, (I was a Training Chief for 3 years) RPCP is just a way of getting hazed. BCP=Fat body, RPCP=Out of shape and can not meet the minimal standards on PT related things. The MAP (Military Appearance Program), is a a loop hole blocker they created a few years ago. You can pass the BCP standards but can be put on MAP for looking like a sea bag with lips. All programs are bad to be assigned to.

I stand corrected.

Capital M
04-25-10, 11:28 AM
Damn, I remember you from your poolee days. Congrats on graduating, Marine!

Thank you Cpl!

Komenko
04-25-10, 11:45 AM

also don't forget that if your a Sgt and you fail it, you get a nice Advirse FitRep to sign! That right there is bad news altogether and you might as well call it quits!

MicMarine
04-25-10, 06:14 PM
Can you read? MCO 6100.13 and MCO 6110.3

polizei
04-26-10, 01:59 PM
Can you read? MCO 6100.13 and MCO 6110.3

Yes I can...and where did I ask for the MCO numbers?

MicMarine
04-26-10, 08:51 PM
Yes I can...and where did I ask for the MCO numbers?

Well you decided that your Sgt knows more than I do. That is why I post the MCOs. BF% is goes by age now. So LCpl try and read, to further your education. Things change often, so the MCO I listed were the last ones I remember having in my binders.

Oh, and by the way, the "my Sgt said..." always makes you sound like a boot.

polizei
04-27-10, 10:21 AM
It's ok SSgt. I'm a boot. I always will be, especially to someone like you, who has more time in than I could ever imagine. :thumbup: