PDA

View Full Version : Journal?

Andrew09
04-21-10, 06:18 PM
I've been on some month long backpacking trips and journalling every night (or every other night, depended on the day) seemed to give me a time of reflection which ultimately increased moral on the trail. I was just curious as to how hard it would be to do this during recruit training. I think it would be interesting to look back and see what I wrote one day. Not only that, I think it would be something healthy (personally) to do to better myself as a recruit--as long as it didn't interfere with anything else, obviously. I'm thinking during personal time? Which according to Sparkie's schedule (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71204), is around 8:30pm.

Thoughts? Objections?

Mledford
04-21-10, 09:05 PM
I was hoping to do the same thing. You should have time every night. If you miss one day then just summarize it the next night during your free time. It would be interesting to read it when you're older.

MonroeS
04-21-10, 09:24 PM
http://www.devildogdiary.com/

Actually a really really good book. I'd recommend picking it up.

MarinesFTW
04-21-10, 09:34 PM
I dont know why you wouldn't be able to. You wont be able to bring a journal with you but if they have them at the PX and your Drill Instructors wont get ticked off for you having one, then go right ahead!!! This idea passed my head also but I blew it off. I have about 6 people that want letters, and I want to be able to square away as much as possible so I wont have time for it.

Andrew09
04-21-10, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I believe I'm going to do my best to keep a journal.

I received a very insightful message for those of you who are debating whether or not you want to try and keep a journal.

Keeping a journal or a log of the day's events is the one thing I wish I would have done during recruit training, and even during my time in the fleet. There are so many memories that have faded because of the number of things that are thrown at you daily, you can't possibly remember every last detail. Even if you just write down the things that are unbelievably funny, it'd be well worth it. Good Luck

Oohrah Devildog
04-21-10, 11:22 PM
Devil Dog Diary was a great book i recommend it for anyone going to recruit training

MonroeS
04-21-10, 11:32 PM
Devil Dog Diary was a great book i recommend it for anyone going to recruit training

I was freakin' impressed that he managed to have a camera on Parris Island. It would be pretty cool to actually have some pictures of yourself from Boot Camp.

Andrew09
04-22-10, 12:17 AM
I was freakin' impressed that he managed to have a camera on Parris Island. It would be pretty cool to actually have some pictures of yourself from Boot Camp.

Pretty sure that is NOT allowed now.

Are there digital or disposable cameras in the PX? I'm getting malicious ideas...

ARIA
04-22-10, 12:42 AM
haha but no that is a freakin awesome i will defiantly try to do that idea imma write FistFu68 while im in Boot Camp ill let you know how its gonna work out lol (leaving on Monday)

Andrew09
04-22-10, 06:55 PM
Lol I wouldn't try it. Your call though.

I'm at the hotel/MEPS right now.

Mledford
04-22-10, 11:19 PM
Pretty sure that is NOT allowed now.

Are there digital or disposable cameras in the PX? I'm getting malicious ideas...His friend called PI and claimed to be a journalist that was writing an article on the author of Devil Dog Diary. He said he needed pictures, so they let him (the recruit) have a disposable camera (one that had been taken up earlier) to take pictures with.

ARIA
04-23-10, 12:08 AM
hmm i asked my recruiter today and he said your not allowed to have a journal but you can always write your journal and just mail it to like a family member or a close friend

sparkie
04-23-10, 08:20 AM
Journals,,cameras,,,How Bout cell phones,,wrist watch TVs.

Don't you people have some Pt to do?:evilgrin: