PDA

View Full Version : Best time to go to basic?

BRV219
04-19-10, 10:24 PM
I searched to the the best of my ability and could find nothing on my question, so I believe this is the correct place for it. I am currently a junior in high school. I was wondering when is the best time to head out for basic? After high school or after college? Thanks!

fs19
04-19-10, 10:41 PM
That really depends on you. If you are planning on going to college right after high school, you can get in, and you can afford it without drowning yourself in debt, then I would go to college and become an officer after you graduate. If you can't go to college now for whatever reason, or don't want to quite yet, then enlist after high school and start working on your degree either while you're in or after you get out.

It just boils down to a personal decision you're going to have to make for yourself.

Lisa 23
04-19-10, 10:48 PM
The Marine Corps has recruit training/boot camp. The Army has basic.

BRV219
04-19-10, 10:56 PM
The Marine Corps has recruit training/boot camp. The Army has basic.

Sorry for the mistake, it will not happen again.

redman1
04-20-10, 08:01 AM
Everybody has a opinion so mine is go in after high school and after your active duty go to college on the VA. Also don't go in boot camp in July like it did in 68 boy was it hot and the sand flees O Well.
Semper Fi Redman

Hanzo
04-20-10, 09:02 AM
There are pros and cons to both. I went after college.

Pros: I was more mature and was able to see through some of the mind games and put things in better perspective. I had lived on my own and paid my own way so I understood that while many of my fellow Marines complained about the pay, we were making out like bandits.

Cons: Because I was older than my fellow Marines I didn't always fit in as well. We got along great and all, but when libo came and they all wanted to get drunk in a hotel room on boxed wine that somebody's older brother bought them, I was past that point in my life. Also, many of my NCOs were younger than me, which, in itself wasn't a problem, but when some ****bird Corporal punched me in the nuts because he was upset about something and he was 2 years younger and 4 inches shorter than me, it was hard not to take his head off.

BR34
04-20-10, 11:08 AM
I think it's a good idea to get a couple of years of real world experience before enlisting. That doesn't mean purely college. AFAIC the enlistment age should be raised a few years so jr Marines would know how to live without their moms before coming into the Marine Corps.

...I really don't like babysitting "grown" men.