PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Advice on Joining/USMC JAG

Pertinax
04-18-10, 10:16 AM
Hello,
I am entering law school this Fall and am interested in joining the USMC, as since I've been given so much in life I feel I really owe it to serve the public and give something back to my country. It’d be great at the same time to take on a real challenge and be able to grow from it.
With my background (outlined in my profile), is thinking about JAG the most obvious, sensible goal? I understand that the Corps is unique in training all of its recruits (regardless of final work area) as riflemen first, and that is an appealing principle. I hope it doesn’t sound brash, but if I’m supposed to be a lawyer, I should ideally have some real experience in the area, not just qualifications on paper.
What are the paths/advantages/disadvantages for joining during/after law school? Would I receive a commission for a certain number of years, or be non-com? From what I’ve read, I’d be expected to join OCS, followed by TBS. Is that correct?
Some secondary questions: Is there any support for repaying federal student loans? If so, where should I look for more information? And also, on the topic of fitness, I’m healthy and definitely not overweight, but am wondering if any of you could point me to some of the best ways of preparing physically for applying?
Thanks in advance for any help,
JM

stein07
04-18-10, 10:58 AM
Check out this site. www.marineocs.com

There will be lots of info there.

cowstep2
04-18-10, 01:03 PM
I would rather have a sister in a ***** house and a brother in jail than a lawyer in the family.