PDA

View Full Version : Information regarding MOS 0321 Recon, UZ contract?

RaymonH
04-18-10, 12:43 AM
Today I had a brief conversation with my recruiter about the UZ contract which is a 0321 Reconnaissance Enlistment.

From what I had previously read I was under the impression that you couldn't join straight into Recon, but now there is even a 7,500 enlistment bonus upon graduation (of the special school).

I have read in the forum that previously marines in SOI had to be selected or volunteer, when given the chance to, to go to the Basic Reconnaissance Course.

With the UZ contract upon completing bootcamp, with a 1st Class PFT, and scoring an expert in rifle qualification, the marine will attend SOI, and then the marine will attend BRC.

The Force Recon Association, forcerecon.com states that " The best chance of getting into Recon is to enlist with a UZ enlistment option contract. This enlistment option guarantees the enlistee the chance at getting into Recon."

Now I have read about R.I.P. and M.A.R.T. here on the site, but I am not sure if those schools still exist.

Is there anyone who has signed under this contract poolee, or more preferably any marines who have signed under this contract and have the MOS, that can give me more information?

Borknagar
04-18-10, 02:28 PM
The UZ contract only guarantees you a shot at RIP, nothing else..... With a high drop rate (I'm not talking about drop on request, but people not being able to cut it), you will be lucky to end up in an (regular) infantry unit, so I've been told.. ;)

This topic has been covered many times, there is a sticky in the Poll Hall and Ask a Marine threads......

P.S. R.I.P. and M.A.R.T. aren't schools, they are 'holding' platoons, if they still use them...

RaymonH
04-19-10, 12:53 AM
I have read the sticky, and numerous other topics on the recon subject, and above all I am aware of the physical demands the program.

I may have worded my question to openly.

Is there someone who can tell me how their UZ contract worked out for them? and even more specifically,
How long they personally had to wait to get into BRC?
If they had gotten into BRC any faster because of their contract,(compared to those who had a lateral move)?
In the sticky, recon explained, he says not to expect to get screened during ITB, does this include those under the UZ contract?
What do you do while in the 'holding' platoons?
If you fail to pass a part in BRC, are you rolled back or automatically dropped.
If you ultimately drop the recon mos, do you have any choice in your 03xx mos?
While in the 'holding' platoons, will you have time to further prepare your self for BRC? Is that what the 'holding' platoons are for?

EDIT: Should I repost the following questions in the Ask a Marine forum?

legioXvance
04-19-10, 06:39 AM
Yes you should, but be prepared to get flamed, they are getting pretty frustrated with the whole RECON thing I believe. I realize it's your dream to go RECON but its also 3/4's of all other poolee's lol. Except me, I guess I'm just weird.

MarinesFTW
04-19-10, 10:43 PM
I have read the sticky, and numerous other topics on the recon subject, and above all I am aware of the physical demands the program.

I may have worded my question to openly.

Is there someone who can tell me how their UZ contract worked out for them? and even more specifically,
How long they personally had to wait to get into BRC? It all depends, just like everything else.
If they had gotten into BRC any faster because of their contract,(compared to those who had a lateral move)? You dont lat-move into the MOS really, like everyone says, you try out for it, if you dont hack it, you go to a normal infantry unit, or so i've read on the other 500 threads about this.
In the sticky, recon explained, he says not to expect to get screened during ITB, does this include those under the UZ contract? You dont get screened, if there are spots you can voulenteer for it, having a UZ contract just makes it so you automatically have your chance to try out.
What do you do while in the 'holding' platoons? PT, PT, PT, did I say PT?
If you fail to pass a part in BRC, are you rolled back or automatically dropped. Not exactly sure but I think dropped - dont quote me on that.
If you ultimately drop the recon mos, do you have any choice in your 03xx mos? If I remember correctly from other threads, you try out for recon AFTER ITB so if you dont hack it, normal infantry unit.
While in the 'holding' platoons, will you have time to further prepare your self for BRC? Is that what the 'holding' platoons are for? Yep, you PT alot..

EDIT: Should I repost the following questions in the Ask a Marine forum? Well you could, but trust me, there are so many threads about this, take a few hours, read them all, you will learn alot..

I hope I helped but dont quote me on anything really, I dont know for sure, its just info that I've read over the past year and a half.

Garrett869
04-22-10, 09:08 AM
Marines can't post in the Poolee Hall, so you would be better off posting in Ask A Marine. But, I signed a UZ Recon contract and ship June 28, and as far as I know it's pretty much go to bootcamp, then SOI, then RIP or MART until your class at BRC picks up, graduate BRC and then go to your Recon Battalion. Once you get to your battalion they will more than likely send you to other specialty schools: Airborne, Dive, Scout Swimmer, SERE, Ranger, etc. Obviously, much easier said than done, but that's the idea. There is a 7,500 dollar bonus upon graduation from BRC. Also, in my contract it says if I fail to complete all of the training neccessary to earn the MOS 0321 Reconnaissance Man, I will be given the MOS 0311 Rifleman, which is still a pretty good job. And all UZ contracts are 5 years, not your standard 4.

Firstblood121
04-23-10, 11:45 PM
does anyone know how long Recon Marines are deployed for?? i recently got a Recon contract and was wondering about that. i already run a 1st class PFT, but im a lil worried about my Expert Rifle Qualification. is it hard?? lol

Capital M
04-24-10, 01:17 AM
does anyone know how long Recon Marines are deployed for?? i recently got a Recon contract and was wondering about that. i already run a 1st class PFT, but im a lil worried about my Expert Rifle Qualification. is it hard?? lol

just listen to your your PMI and coaches... take in everything they have to say and relax... and don't ****ing worry about your score. that's one of things that ****s a lot of people up.. Apply the fundamentals, relax and listen and you'll be in the black all day long.

lakewoodpoolee
04-27-10, 08:17 PM
For any Recon Marines out there? I have a quick question.
Do I have a chance to Pass BRC?
I'm a poolee whos IST Score is : 20 Pullups 100+ situps and 9:30-9:45 1.5 mi.
Thank you

CastNoShadow
04-28-10, 01:28 PM
Unfortunately it appears there have been some changes to the Recon contract and course over the past year and a lot of the information on the internet is either out dated or conflicting.

I would suggest taking it one step at a time and focus on completing each task as best as you can. If you are intelligent and a beast at PT, there shouldn't be anything stopping you from being a Recon Marine. If you want to go Recon, don't settle for anything less. There is no plan B.

martinj
04-29-10, 11:45 PM
I just graduated BRC today. The hardest thing in my life. there is a UZ contract (thats what i had) you dont even really need it. If you volunteer at SOI (which you can do as long as they dont have too many Marines in MART) you still get the 10000 if you make it through. the contract is just for the guaranteed spot to go to MART. As long as you put some heart and determination into it you will be able to get through BRC. Well thats as long as you dont get drowned in MART or slaughtered. And Garrett869 you got jewed my UZ is only 4 years with a 10000 bonus.