PDA

View Full Version : now what?

Chocopie
04-13-10, 02:45 PM
My arm is broke.. the cast will be on there for 6 weeks..
but i leave for bootcamp in 7 weeks..,. and the docker said it will need 6 to 12 weeks to be at 100% back to normal

Cruz92
04-13-10, 02:49 PM
lmao... mine is too. (arm).. except I hav'nt got a cast on mine yet..since idk if I am going to get surgery or not yet. My orthopedist has to decide.
A recruiter told me.. if I need only a cast my date might get pushed back. If I need surgery, I will need like atleast 10 months of rest to recover.
I leave in 8 weeks... i did'nt know that one needed 6-12 weeks to be 100% after the cast is off... oh oh..

Cruz92
04-13-10, 02:50 PM
sucky thing about this.. is I cant exercise at all. So my ist scores are going to plummet

alphasquirrel
04-13-10, 05:24 PM
Even if your recruiter tells you it's okay to keep your regular ship date I would ask to have it pushed back.

That close to having your cast on you are going to need to build back strength (SLOWLY) and let your arm completely heal. And you don't want to fail your IST or get hurt again in Boot Camp. You could hurt it in such a way that it becomes a permanent problem.

Also, remember that you go to MEPS again before you ship out and they will look at your arm and may tell you it's a no go.

This happened to my brother with a gun shot wound. His recruiter said he was fine. His doctor said he was fine but the MEPS doctor said no way. He had to wait an addition three months and he said he's VERY glad he did because it still hurt and gave him problems even with the additional three months.

Don't rush it. Let it heal.

LJ27
04-13-10, 07:00 PM
Wow how did you do that??

Vazquez90
04-15-10, 10:20 PM
Well i'm lucky compared to you guys. I'm currently dealing with shin splints and i hate the fact i can't go out for a run, but im biking so that levels it out.I'm just really worried that it whole fully heal before boot camp, and then come back during.

Tutt
04-22-10, 01:03 AM
In late march of '09 I sprained my ankle really bad twice (about ten days apart) and my ship date was May 11. It wasn't happening then. So the next available date for my MOS was Nov. 2. In August I contracted MRSA (think a staph infection on roaids) and because of the safety precautions that had to be taken & Poolees being pushed back anyways, my Nov. 2 date wasn't happening. That meant since I was in the DEP for 365 days exactly one month after that, I had to get dropped from the DEP. I am just now being able to get to MEPS again on Tuesday.
The point of all this? I had to wait a lot longer than you will have to (if you push your date back) and I lived. Moreover, I am nearly 23 years old and have to feed myself, pay the rent, electric bills, satellite, etc, etc. My life has been put on hold from this so I understand as much as anyone the bummer, but I am sure glad I waited. It is all working out for the better, I have a better situation set up for me and it was the right thing. Just wait it out brother. Even if its longer than twelve weeks. Just keep running as much as you can and do the crunches. Obviously you cannot do pull ups or push ups but do EVERYTHING that you can do. Don't be like me and slack off all winter and now suffering the consequences.
Just TAKE YOUR TIME. Haste makes waste.