PDA

View Full Version : Recruit training rewards maturity, strong character

thedrifter
09-06-03, 08:38 AM
Recruit training rewards maturity, strong character
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 200395184510
Story by Sgt. L. F. Langston

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(September 5, 2003) -- With his platoon carrying an attrition rate of nearly 10 percent among platoon guides, the situation may have looked discouraging for some prospective recruit leaders, but there was one among 79 who was up to the challenge.

Mature and strong-willed best describes Pfc. Jason B. Williams, guide, Platoon 3007, and company honorman, Company K, according to some of the men responsible for making him a Marine.

"He's a strong leader and definitely abides by a key leadership trait of being unselfish," said Staff Sgt. Efrin J. Montejano, senior drill instructor, Platoon 3007, Company K.

The platoon had filtered through six other guides before Williams stepped up to fill the position.

Once Williams was given the chance as guide, he relied on his maturity and tenacity to improve situations.

"After seeing different guides, I had time to learn how to lead, and I understood I was an equal and still a recruit," said Williams, a 19-year-old from Albuquerque, N.M.

Williams' fellow recruits agree he has been the right man for the job.

"He's made a few mistakes, but has learned from them and I can say he takes care of the welfare of the recruits before his own," said Pvt. Joshua A. Zwahrlandrum.

Williams joined the Marine Corps after attending one year of college at the University of New Mexico.

He realized pursuing his education was key to continuing his goals in life, but felt the Marine Corps would further his growth.

"I thought the military could be a good starting point to really experience life and learn more discipline," he said.

Williams credits much of his success in recruit training to his family who he says instilled strong values in him.

"My father always had an answer to everything and my mother taught me about respecting others and answering life's little questions, said Williams."

Williams' maturity and strong character paid off most when he was selected as top recruit in Company K after winning the company honorman board.

"Marine Corps knowledge infused with his personal opinion was impressive and his maturity level was above the other candidates," said Capt. Jackson T. Doan, series commander, Company K.

Williams' recruiter said he is proud of his achievements in recruit training.

"Williams is an outstanding individual and I applaud him for his efforts and hard work," said Staff Sgt. Sixto A. Martinez, Recruiting Station Albuquerque, N.M.

Not even 20 years old, Williams set the example for his peers throughout recruit training, helping lead more than 70 recruits past the fear of failure and into a future as Marines.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200395184714/$file/REC_J_Williams_lr.jpg

PFC Jason B. Williams, guide, Platoon 3007, Company K, knocks out pull ups during his final physical fitness test.
Photo by: Sgt. L. F. Langston

The Drifter
:marine: