PDA

View Full Version : 0121 or 0151 Adminstrative

Chocopie
04-05-10, 05:34 PM
Ok, before I get bashed at to search for it. I already have, and am not filled with the information I would like to know.

Basically I would like to know, how a day in the life of work it will be for an Admin Marine?
Laying me out details of your day would be lovely.
Thanks ahead.

Lisa 23
04-05-10, 05:57 PM
Maybe this will help out some. <br />
<br />
MOS 0121 - - Personnel Clerk <br />
<br />
<br />
Type of MOS : PMOS <br />
<br />
Rank Range: Sgt to Pvt <br />
<br />
Job Description: Personnel clerks perform personnel and general...

echo3oscar1833
04-05-10, 06:01 PM
I'm wasn't admin, but I worked in the Company Office as a clerk for a bit, its the watered down version.

Wake up
Go to Work
Get your azz reamed by the First Sergeant Cause chit aint done
Get chit done
Get your azz reamed somemore
Get more chit done
File random paperwork on a chitbag who got drunk and got in a fight
Get reamed somemore
Get tired of getting dry reamed so you get some lube
Do more unattentive boring admin paperwork
First Sergeant Computer Breaks, call tech support
CWO/OIC is ****ed because he can't find half of his Marines
Do More Paper Work
Get azz reamed somemore
Get off Work
Get Drunk
Pass Out Drunk
Wake up
Do it all Over
:D

Quinbo
04-05-10, 06:02 PM
Day in the life of an 01. Sleep in till 0700 then trot over to the chow hall and call it PT. Wear brand spanking new cammies that have never seen the field. Line up your mountain dew and snickers bars next to your computer and surf the internet all day. Take a 2 hour lunch break. Get off at 1630 and complain about having to take out the trash on your way out. Call your boss Joe. Call Joe's boss dad. Mill about smartly. Completely trash someones SRB but make sure you have about 20 navy achievment medals in yours. Submit yourself for the medal of honor. Tell everyone you have PTSD from seeing your pet hamster die.

Zulu 36
04-05-10, 06:11 PM
Day in the life of an 01. Sleep in till 0700 then trot over to the chow hall and call it PT. Wear brand spanking new cammies that have never seen the field. Line up your mountain dew and snickers bars next to your computer and surf the internet all day. Take a 2 hour lunch break. Get off at 1630 and complain about having to take out the trash on your way out. Call your boss Joe. Call Joe's boss dad. Mill about smartly. Completely trash someones SRB but make sure you have about 20 navy achievment medals in yours. Submit yourself for the medal of honor. Tell everyone you have PTSD from seeing your pet hamster die.

But it was from the WAY the hamster died. If you get my drift. :D

(I know gerbils are usually the animal of choice, or so I'm informed).

Chocopie
04-05-10, 06:15 PM
those were quite humorous responses.
Thank you Wmarine, but I would like to hear it from a Marine's own prospective of the job.
As how life and work is about

BR34
04-05-10, 06:16 PM

Makes ya wonder, what did Admin Marines do BEFORE the internet?

BR34
04-05-10, 06:17 PM
Thank you Wmarine, but I would like to hear it from a Marine's own prospective of the job.

I work close to a bunch of Admin Marines. I don't know what they do when they're actually doing their MOS stuff, but I can say they NEVER PT except when we all have Co PT.

These guys, though, are Reservists, Active Reservists, Active Inactive Reservists, and on all kind of different reserve to active orders that I know absolutely nothing about. Might be different for active duty Admin types.

Zulu 36
04-05-10, 06:28 PM
Makes ya wonder, what did Admin Marines do BEFORE the internet?

Read books and magazines vs. surfing the net

Lisa 23
04-05-10, 06:29 PM
That's WMarine, not Wmarine.

Zulu 36
04-05-10, 06:31 PM

If you're serious about being a Remington Raider, get used to people teasing you like this over your job.

Chocopie
04-05-10, 06:40 PM
I apologize WMarine
Zulu 36, lol i would'nt mind. The 2 MOS's actually sound fun to me, or something I would like.
Unless i've been mistaken by About.com..
this is why, im trying to find Admin Marines to inform me with more detail about their jobs.

SGTBrentG
04-05-10, 07:44 PM
Honestly, as humorous as your responses have been, find another field. You will never get any respect. Doesn't matter how much PT you do, how many meritorious promotions you earn, if you fill a billet higher than your rank or how many times you smoke the grunts on the PFT, you will never measure up outside of your MOS. And you will regret it later in life because of the way you will be treated. Choose another MOS.

Chocopie
04-05-10, 07:50 PM
I certaintly would, if I were retiring military. But I am only serving my 4 years, as I am going to get the experience for I may be getting a AA degree in Paralegal studies.
I understand, that I wont be seen with much respect by fellow Marines, but in the end, I will be a Marine.

tdrt
04-05-10, 08:00 PM
If you're interested in paralegal and the legal field in general, why are you bothering with a general admin MOS. Go with a legal MOS

SGTBrentG
04-05-10, 08:01 PM
I certaintly would, if I were retiring military. But I am only serving my 4 years, as I am going to get the experience for I may be getting a AA degree in Paralegal studies.
I understand, that I wont be seen with much respect by fellow Marines, but in the end, I will be a Marine.

Well.....then you just answered your own question. Why does it matter to you what the job is going to be like if you already know you are doing your four years and moving on? You have been told that you wont have to PT, that you will work short hours and life will be grand. What are you waiting for? Sign the contract!

micarr57
04-05-10, 09:43 PM
when i was in i started out as an 1833 amtracker after about a year n half in my mos had a small glitch got an office hours to make a long story short ended up in co office put up with some **** from the people on the ramp but when you can do something for them that all go's away you can get lots done if you know the rite people did pt with rest of the co every time that was 30 yrs ago dont know how they treat remington raiders now semper fi

BR34
04-06-10, 06:36 AM
What is a remington raider? What does that mean? I'm guessing it's a old Corps term for admin? But what is it's origination?

Quinbo
04-06-10, 06:40 AM
Manual remington typewriters.

I guess current generation would get it if they were called remington rambos, or remington ninjas or something along those lines.

BR34
04-06-10, 07:06 AM
Typewriters? I think keyboard raider would be more appropriate then.

Zulu 36
04-06-10, 07:16 AM
Typewriters? I think keyboard raider would be more appropriate then.

Well, the Marine Corps tended to use Remington models and that's how it was done. It sounded more poetic using Remington Raider and it rolls off the tongue better. Keyboard Raider is so - bland.

Quinbo
04-06-10, 08:10 AM
Remington raider in my mind is not a derrogatory term. It's an identity not meant to be demeaning. There are grunts, and cannon cockers, and gun bunnys, and wire monkeys, and box kickers, and bb stackers, and bean counters. There are wing nuts and ballon chasers and picture takers.

In the end all Marines that like to give each other a hard time now and then.

BR34
04-06-10, 08:27 AM
Okay, fill me in.

Gun bunnys?
BB stackers?
Balloon chasers?

DIBLO7
04-06-10, 10:58 AM
First, it would be hard for him to choose the "legal" option since he only gets to pick the field "legal/admin." I thought when I first signed up I was going to get legal. Well guess what, my MOS became 0151, not 4421 as my recruiter so eloquently told me it "probably" would be..

Anyways, to your question of the day in the life of Admin, it depends greatly on if you're a 0151 or an 0121 and where your stationed.

If you're an 0151 you could be stationed with just about any unit anywhere in the Marine Corps. Your day to day business would generally be to get up for PT at 0600 at a minimum on Monday Wednesday and Friday's until about 0700. Then you'd have about 30-45 min to shower and get some chow before being in the shop.

Once in the shop depending on what your area of responsibilities are you could be doing anything from the Morning Report, which consists of getting ahold of every other section in your unit and figuring out the status of every Marine, then submitting it to "higher." Or for example if you did the legal stuff you would be working on the Week's NJP's, Court Martials, Admin Seps, Appellate leave packages, ect.

There areas of knowledge an 0151 has to know is quite vast, as you'll find Marines are coming into your office all day asking you random off the wall questions, and you need to be the expert on all of them. You will get used to knowing where to look and how to find all sorts of things in the MCO's.

For example, I am a MECEP student right now, but the other Marines here know I'm admin, I still have Marines coming up to me and asking me questions about things from travel claims to how to write proper correspondence.

Anyways, back on topic, depending on your billet, you'll have a wide assortment of stuff to take care of throughout the day with constant interruptions of the before mentioned type stuff. Don't get mad about it though, because you're in a customer service type MOS, you have your work to do, but you are there to serve the Marines. Depending on your unit you get drastically different amounts of time for chow. When I was with 3/4 we ate as a shop, all of us minus one for phone watch would go to the chow hall together, eat, and return with chow for the phone watch. When I got to security forces, we would get an hour and a half to eat or do whatever with the exception of the phone watch who went to chow early and then came back to watch the phones/answer questions.

Generally you will get off at around 1630-1700, depending on your workload and chain of command. Again, when I was at 3/4 I wouldn't get off normally until at least 1800 (but then again my Adj didn't like his family...). Other duty stations have been different, but it depends completely on the workload and your chain of command. Also, many times the legal guy in the office would have to stay late to do NJP's or other legal stuff.

You will deploy with your unit, when the unit goes to the field you will go to the field. You will see a whole lot more as a 0151 then as an 1021.

I can only speak limitedly on 0121's since I wasn't one. Generally they work in a PAC of some sort. The 21's job is to enter stuff into the "system" All the different units bring them their paperwork and the 21's make it show up in 3270. They are busy just like the 51's but all day they focus on a very narrow scope of items and are just punching diaries all day.

If you go admin don't expect to hear a lot of thanks, the only time people come to you is when something is jacked up.

Hope that helps.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-06-10, 12:54 PM
Gun Bunny: Any artillery MOS. Term dates back to at least the Vietnam era.

Cannon Cocker: Same. Likely to WWII or before.

Remington Raider: Someone who sits behind a manual typewriter all day (can be any 'admin' type MOS). Likely dates from the WWII period or after (recall the term 'Marine Raider' originated then).

DIBLO, great post.

Quinbo
04-06-10, 01:08 PM
BB stackers are ammo
Balloon chasers are weather

echo3oscar1833
04-06-10, 01:39 PM
BB stackers are ammo
Balloon chasers are weather

I knew the Gun Bunny one, I kinda thought thats what the other two where. I didn't want to post innacurate info though, thanks Bulk :D

Chocopie
04-06-10, 05:54 PM
Thank you DIBLO7, this has helped me out. :-)

echo3oscar1833
04-06-10, 06:36 PM
Thank you DIBLO7, this has helped me out. :-)

What are you saying my info sucked and I don't matter :D

micarr57
04-06-10, 07:32 PM
remington raider remington brand of typewriter raider only thing you raid is the gedunk locker mine was electric ball type was new state of the art top of the line 1977 no spell check used whiteout or didn't make mistakes mimmiograph machines and i wasn't really a POGUE