PDA

View Full Version : MEP's Question

williamstamato
04-05-10, 01:03 AM
I have in fact searched the forums about my question but could not find a clear cut answer, and I have been curious.

I am Junior in High School and currently am planning to enlist in the DEP as early as October of next year.

I am currently 5 foot 7 inches and 214 pounds (Lost 20 pounds since Feb.)

My question is, Do I have to be at exact height weight standards upon signing a contract at MEPS? I have read the chart and do believe i have to be at 197 pounds (Marines correct me if i am wrong), but I know kids who have gotten into the DEP a bit hefty to say the least. Also, I do know I have to be at certain weight upon leaving for Recruit Training.

I do not want to drop much more weight because I still have one more season left of Varsity Football, but want to sign ASAP to better my chances of getting my desired job.

Any Marines have an appropriate answer for me? Thanks!
P.S. sorry for writing quite a long post LOL

matrix0775
04-05-10, 01:45 AM
5'7 and 214 lbs is still alittle high but it is work able. That (BMI) weight reference chart is a guide to what the Marine Corps expects for a recruit to weigh before enlisting. Ok I see that you play sports in school. Great this will help you physically. When you get to basic you will lose that pesty weight. I also played alot of sports in school. I am 6'4 210lbs. But i went to basic straight out of high school weighing 226 lbs and upon graduation i weighted 165 lbs. The corps will cut the fat or so to speek.

matrix0775
04-05-10, 01:52 AM
:evilgrin:
5'7 and 214 lbs is still alittle high but it is work able. That (BMI) weight reference chart is a guide to what the Marine Corps expects for a recruit to weigh before enlisting. Ok I see that you play sports in school. Great this will help you physically. When you get to basic you will lose that pesty weight. I also played alot of sports in school. I am 6'4 210lbs. But i went to basic straight out of high school weighing 226 lbs and upon graduation i weighted 165 lbs. The corps will cut the fat or so to speek.

DaGhost
04-05-10, 09:36 AM
If the recruting station that you are gonna be recruited out of goes by the standards, then you will have to be at 197lbs in order to contract (DEP in) in order to ship to boot camp you will have to be 185lb---194lb within that range...you have a good bit of work to do 21lbs ain't much, and you being an athlete should be able to cut that weight.

williamstamato
04-06-10, 12:43 AM
If the recruting station that you are gonna be recruited out of goes by the standards, then you will have to be at 197lbs in order to contract (DEP in) in order to ship to boot camp you will have to be 185lb---194lb within that range...you have a good bit of work to do 21lbs ain't much, and you being an athlete should be able to cut that weight.

Okay thanks thats the answer I was looking for Sir. I will talk in further detail with my recruiter on how strict the standards are at my station. I will most definitely keep my diet up and drop a few more pounds and take off the last few shortly before signing my contract. Thanks alot Marines!!:thumbup: