PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions: 4341 and DEP info.

EagerMarine
04-04-10, 11:27 PM
Hello!

I'm supposed to be shipping December 6th to MCRD Sand Diego. My medical/legal sheets are 100% clear, no problems, I scored an 89 on the ASVAB and I signed into DEP with Open Contract with the intent to pick my MOS before I leave, preferably by the time the summer is out.

First, I want to be a Combat Correspondent. I have been involved in Journalism all through high school and the college I have taken and already know I enjoy it and I believe I can give the Corps alot of myself, and be more helpful if I were there. Does anyone out there know if it is a usually filled MOS, one that has alot of people gunning for it?

Second, in the DEP, if my recruiter doesn't get me a contract before MEPS for the 43 field or I get to MEPS and they say it is full, can I just tell them i'll wait or walk? And if i do threaten to walk, will they pretty much point me to the door since they seem to really be making quota?

Before I am bashed for not wanting to truly be a Marine if I'm worried about my job, I do want to be a Marine. Wanted to since freshman year of high school; however, I wont' sign a contract for something I wont' be happy doing or will not be able to give myself too 100% because I hate it.

Thank you all for your time and I hope you all can help a Poolee out!

Thanks Again,

Mitch Hoover
12/6/2010

BTW (If you look at my past posts, I was interested in assaultman, but that was before I even knew about anything involving Public Affairs. I didn't know that was even an option.)

surfermarine85
04-09-10, 09:01 AM
Ok man, it's like this. I was a 4341 for my first enlistment and hated my life. I came in open contract after I was originally told I was going to be artillery. If you want to be a Marine like you say you do then stay away from this job field. You will be a desk jockie and never get to see any combat unless your switching favors under your OIC's desk. I would suggest something not so gay. Unless you're a female I would suggest doing a more active job for your first enlistment and then once you get all the combat out of your system lat moving to 4341.

brian0351
04-09-10, 10:08 AM
Needs of the Marine Corps.

But remember...no-one responds to threats. If you say "I want this or I'm walking", I'm willing to bet they'll let the door hit your a$$ on the way out.

Now if you act like and adult and lay out a plan with your recruiter beforehand so he can help you, you would have more of a chance at getting what you want. Tell him, "I would be happy with X, Y, and Z. What would be my options if I don't get those? Will you be willing to delay my departure and wait for a slot to open?"

And yes, in the DEP you can chose to leave whenever you want but don't expect to be able to come back.

tdrt
04-09-10, 10:33 AM
Ok man, it's like this. I was a 4341 for my first enlistment and hated my life. I came in open contract after I was originally told I was going to be artillery. If you want to be a Marine like you say you do then stay away from this job field. You will be a desk jockie and never get to see any combat unless your switching favors under your OIC's desk. I would suggest something not so gay. Unless you're a female I would suggest doing a more active job for your first enlistment and then once you get all the combat out of your system lat moving to 4341.

I think you nailed it!

Mitch, choose a more "active" MOS first, then lat move into 4341. Nothing stopping you from writing while in an another MOS. And secondly, you will gain more 1st-hand insight into what you are writing about from a different perspective rather than being on the "outside" looking in.

EagerMarine
04-09-10, 11:43 AM
Thanks for all your responses! I'll def. be thinking about everything you all said. I don't ship till Dec. 6th so I can still change to a combat MOS no sweat. I don't know if I want to go into the 03 field, any ideas folks?

Also, excuse for the immature question about asking if I could walk, that would be a **** move doing that after making a commitment to the Corps.

Thank you all for your time.

Mitch

Lisa 23
04-09-10, 12:16 PM
Keep in mind, that if you do decide to change your MOS, it'll probably mean that your ship date gets changed also. Check into that. And read everything over carefully, and make sure it's what you want "before" signing any papers. Also, if you have any questions about your contract, ask "before" signing those papers, too. Don't get talked into anything you don't want.
And it's Marines, not folks.

Good luck to you.

EagerMarine
04-09-10, 01:23 PM
My apologies Marines. I'll know from now on.

EagerMarine
04-14-10, 08:10 AM
Hello Marines!

Just thought I would update you on my MOS situation. I took your advice to pick something more active. I'm now enlisted in the AG field code, Aircraft Crew Chief, and will be signing this week. Hopefully I can get my ship date moved forward as well, fingers crossed.

Thanks again!

Mitch Hoover
12/06/2010 (For now...)

brian0351
04-14-10, 09:00 AM
Bah...air wingers! Enjoy your hot chow, liberty and nice living conditions...the Grunts will hate you for it ;P

tdrt
04-14-10, 09:03 AM
Hello Marines!

Just thought I would update you on my MOS situation. I took your advice to pick something more active. I'm now enlisted in the AG field code, Aircraft Crew Chief, and will be signing this week. Hopefully I can get my ship date moved forward as well, fingers crossed.

Thanks again!

Mitch Hoover
12/06/2010 (For now...)

oh, ya, swing with the wing!!

JWDevilDog
04-14-10, 09:07 AM
however, I wont' sign a contract for something I wont' be happy doing or will not be able to give myself too 100% because I hate it.

I agree entirely. I "settled" on an MOS and now, two years later, I find myself wanting to lat-move to what I originally wanted to do.

Bah...air wingers! Enjoy your hot chow, liberty and nice living conditions...the Grunts will hate you for it ;P

Lol even the other POGs don't much like the Wingers.. I speak from experience. Those a*sholes never listen to me when I'm bringin' in their Helos!

EagerMarine
04-14-10, 09:58 AM
I agree entirely. I "settled" on an MOS and now, two years later, I find myself wanting to lat-move to what I originally wanted to do.

Lol even the other POGs don't much like the Wingers.. I speak from experience. Those a*sholes never listen to me when I'm bringin' in their Helos!

I'll be fully appreciative when you drop off that beauty, you have my word! =]

JWDevilDog
04-14-10, 10:05 AM
I'll be fully appreciative when you drop off that beauty, you have my word! =]

Oh I don't land them, I just guide them in.