PDA

View Full Version : Help getting in

Stevens44
04-03-10, 06:35 PM
Okay here's the deal, this is going to be a long story and I hope someone has some good answers. I've been trying to get in since I was 17 years old in High School, but I've been actually been interested in becoming a Marine since I was about 12 years old. Anyway going on, I failed the ASVAB a total of 3 times, 17, 23, 26.... Studied for 6 months and finally passed with a 36 went to MEPS did my physical etc and passed. So I'm qualified to go to boot camp. Going on I had a misdemanor a while back. Retail Fraud III degree, so there was a 90 day waiting period to get sworn in I finished all of this about 60 days through so my recruiter told me I had to wait 1 more month to swear in and he promised it'd be April 1st. Going on... now he's saying I'm not an "Alpha" I'm a "Bravo" and he's pretty much disowning me and told me I'm not the "Flavor of the month" and that he doesnt want me to wait so he's going to try to get another recruiter to fill me in for his contract for the month. This is confusing me please don't beat me down I've been working on this dream forever and I am not giving up until I earn the title "Marine". Thanks!

sparkie
04-03-10, 06:38 PM
http://www.goarmy.com/?bnrcd=A607-ITBP-ACNP-01012010-07-07021-TEXTAD

Stevens44
04-03-10, 06:42 PM
Thanks but no thanks.

sparkie
04-03-10, 06:44 PM
Don't burn your bridges.

TinDragon
04-03-10, 06:48 PM
You're probably about the last choice any recruiter would pick to get into the Marine Corps. You better just show your commitment and try to improve yourself in every way possible, because an extremely low ASVAB + misdemeanor is probably going to be way too much work for any recruiter who could just randomly point at better qualified wannabe.

Stevens44
04-03-10, 06:56 PM
I was going to get sworn in until MEPS found out about the 90 day waiting period. Now I have to wait till mid April or May. But my life is on hold for the Corps.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-03-10, 07:03 PM
Low ASVAB + Fraud. = Waivers. The Marine Corps is NOT doing waivers in many Recruiting Stations at this time for Criminal stuff. Just the way it is. Like many others, you have some basic choices, here:

1: Wait. Go to college or get a full time job. Check back every six months or so on the status. Keep informed, stay out of trouble, don't do dumb things, don't smoke dope, drive stupidly, steal, get fat, or the host of OTHER things that will also cause waivers. KEEP STUDYING to improve the ASVAB score.

2: Go Army. After the enlistment, (successfully), then re-enlist into the Marine Corps. Plenty of people do it. It doesn't kill them, won't kill you.

3: See what the 'other recruiter' has to say. Might still work out, just not with this recruiter. You are NOT an 'optimum' candidate at this point.

4: Give up and consider Barber College.

Your call.

sparkie
04-03-10, 07:16 PM
You said it good, Lep.

ameriken
04-03-10, 07:18 PM
What Sgt Lep and TinDragon said. The Corps is full and recruiters pretty much dont want to spend much time with anyone who doesnt have a clean background, diploma/GED/college, high ASVAB scores, etc. There's lotsa kids who have all the above and dont need waivers and the Corps is taking them first.

Good luck. The Army first, Corps later idea is a pretty good one.

Lisa 23
04-03-10, 07:26 PM
And how about filling out all of your profile so the Marines who are answering your questions, know who they are talking to....and you may also want to familiarize yourself with the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums too.

Phantom Blooper
04-03-10, 07:50 PM
Is not Retail Fraud the same thing as Retail Theft?

The Marine Corps nor the Army tolerates thieves!

What the SGT and CPL said is spot on advice!

Now fill out your profile!:evilgrin:

Sgt Leprechaun
04-03-10, 07:57 PM
Probably changing price tags or some goofy crap like that. Or giving discounts to "friends and family".

Annnndd.....he's gone.

Phantom Blooper
04-03-10, 08:30 PM
If you scored that low on the ASVAB test....how in the heck did you did you get into retail and working with paperwork?

Good thing they don't base the ASVAB tests on IQ......because you would still be licking windows and peeing yourself.....

The recruiter was being tactful when he told you that you were not the "Flavor of the Month"

Because like Baskin-Robbins the Marine Corps has 31+ favorites that can be enlisting before you.....

Keep out of trouble and maybe the enlistment field will open...but you will need to still have waivers....

2: Go Army. After the enlistment, (successfully), then re-enlist into the Marine Corps. Plenty of people do it. It doesn't kill them, won't kill you.

Good advice it will get your foot in the door.....

Get yourself an ASVAB study book from the library....and study!:evilgrin:

SGT7477
04-03-10, 08:36 PM
Oh shoot there is always the national guard, the BBgun warriors.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-03-10, 08:44 PM
They don't let the Air Guard have bb guns. We might put an eye out.

Lisa 23
04-03-10, 08:48 PM
They don't let the Air Guard have bb guns. We might put an eye out.

In my best singing voice (from a Christmas Story).....you'll shoot your eye out...you'll shoot your eye out!

sparkie
04-03-10, 08:50 PM
Aw,,,,,,, my favorite movie,,,,,,,,,

Zulu 36
04-03-10, 08:50 PM
Is not Retail Fraud the same thing as Retail Theft?

The Marine Corps nor the Army tolerates thieves!

What the SGT and CPL said is spot on advice!

Now fill out your profile!:evilgrin:

If he lives in Michigan (who knows, no profile), Retail Fraud covers shoplifting, refunding, retagging, etc. Anything to do with retail theft. The various degrees cover the amount of money involved.

sparkie
04-03-10, 08:51 PM
thinkin we should say G'bye.

Lisa 23
04-03-10, 09:16 PM
Again.....

And how about filling out all of your profile so the Marines who are answering your questions, know who they are talking to....and you may also want to familiarize yourself with the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums too.

Lisa 23
04-03-10, 09:17 PM
Excuse me.......:evilgrin: Ah, I don't think so there wise guy.

Well, I guess those black helos will be coming in soon.

Lisa 23
04-03-10, 09:30 PM
And you want help getting into the Marine Corps with a smart a$$ attitude like that.
You can't even follow the rules that Leatherneck has.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-03-10, 09:35 PM
Immediately extracted via the Leprechaun minions in the Black Helicopters.

Perhaps a 10 day timeout will learn the lad some respeck.

Lisa 23
04-03-10, 09:37 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/1027.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/1027.gif

Quinbo
04-04-10, 02:17 AM
I honostly think if you take the asvab and just blindly and randomly fill in the bubbles. Do cool designs, spell your name, recreate a tattoo whatever. You would get more than a 30. I think you get a thirty just for knowing which end of the pencil the erasor is on.

Phantom Blooper
04-04-10, 04:45 AM
Damn....he didn't even get a chance to fill out his profile.:evilgrin:

echo3oscar1833
04-04-10, 10:25 AM
I honostly think if you take the asvab and just blindly and randomly fill in the bubbles. Do cool designs, spell your name, recreate a tattoo whatever. You would get more than a 30. I think you get a thirty just for knowing which end of the pencil the erasor is on.

Thats what I did, and I passed :D:D

ameriken
04-04-10, 03:03 PM
Now we know why he is not the 'flavor of the month'.