PDA

View Full Version : Leave

Chocopie
04-02-10, 05:33 PM
I have a question about leave, so I know we have 30 days of leave per year. I just found out, that it must be earned.. like you get 2.5 days of leave for every month.
Do I start building leave in bootcamp or after it? (after the 10 days)
Another question is about the holidays, I have to use the saved up "leave days" if I want to go home for Christmas? Or Does the Marine Corps have special holiday leaves as well

Lisa 23
04-02-10, 05:42 PM
This should help answer any questions you have about taking leave.

Military Leaves, Passes, and Liberty
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/leave.htm

You may also want to check this thread out.
vacation
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92109&highlight=taking+leave

Quinbo
04-02-10, 05:48 PM
You start earning 2.5 days a month the day you step on the yellow foot prints. Taking 10 days after boot camp will actually put your leave balance in the hole and you'll be another month before you are back at zero. You earn leave while you are on leave though, same same 2.5 days a month. Normally if you are stateside there is a liberal leave policy for the holidays. You do have to use earned leave to go home for Christmas etc. There are procedures and policys set up so that everyone is not on leave at the same time.

I was actually able to take a full 30 days leave one time. I had 90 days on the books and come oct 1 it would go back to 60 so I was forced to use it or lose it. My 1st Sgt basically said you are going on leave starting today. Generally though you will never get the chance to take a whole month off. You'll just piece meal a week here and week there throughout the year.

ameriken
04-02-10, 05:52 PM
Are there still 72 and 96 hour chits where if approved you can take an extended weekend without affecting your leave time?

tdrt
04-02-10, 05:57 PM
And to add on to what Bulkyker said, you also get all federal holidays and major holidays off -- a lot of 3-day weekends unless you get stuck with Duty. But you won't get, say, a week off at Christmas unless you take leave.

TinDragon
04-02-10, 06:03 PM
Are there still 72 and 96 hour chits where if approved you can take an extended weekend without affecting your leave time?
Yep, there are. I took one of those while I was down at Pensacola... took a 4 day break to Memphis without losing any leave.

Chocopie
04-02-10, 06:22 PM
Thank you, this has helped me alot.

thewookie
04-03-10, 07:03 AM
so I know we have 30 days of leave per year

Who is we?

Kurokawa
04-04-10, 06:10 PM
You start earning 2.5 days a month the day you step on the yellow foot prints. Taking 10 days after boot camp will actually put your leave balance in the hole and you'll be another month before you are back at zero.

Actually, they no longer take those 10 days out. I noticed this when I checked MOL and noticed I still had the leave saved up from boot camp, and got confirmation that it is no longer taken out from other Marines here at SOI.

echo3oscar1833
04-04-10, 06:34 PM
Actually, they no longer take those 10 days out. I noticed this when I checked MOL and noticed I still had the leave saved up from boot camp, and got confirmation that it is no longer taken out from other Marines here at SOI.

Sometimes it takes a bit for the leave you take to catch up on the system. It was that way when I was in to, my 10 days didn't actually get taken out for about 6 months after graduation. By then I was in the Fleet, I would assume they still take it out dude, it just hasn't caught up yet. :D

BR34
04-04-10, 06:38 PM

It's going to be taken out when you check into your first duty station.

As you should already know, don't believe **** your peers tell you about how the Marine Corps works. They don't know any more than you.

Quinbo
04-04-10, 06:48 PM
I read today that R&R leave from the gan is non chargeble. Do a year dodging bullets and you get 15 days of free leave. Also extended the 60 day cut off to 90 days. All you gotta do is go fight...

BR34
04-04-10, 06:51 PM
Yep, it's called PDMRA, which I believe stands for Post Deployment 'something' Respite Absence.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-04-10, 06:59 PM
"Morale"?

BR34
04-04-10, 07:01 PM
'Mobilization'. I guess I could have just googled it at first.

http://www.vamortgagecenter.com/blog/2009/05/21/post-deploymentmobilization-respite-absence-pdmra/

Tookie22
04-06-10, 10:45 AM
They take bootleave. Took nine months but it caught up. Kinda sucks. We have 30 days predeployment and I get to take 14. I was also charged leave for mct so make sure you check often and fix any...

TinDragon
04-06-10, 12:04 PM
From the looks of that article, that PDMRA thing looks like it's only Army, but maybe I read it wrong.
I do know that when you're on leave you earned while deployed, your income is non-taxable, just like it is while you're actually deployed.

BR34
04-06-10, 12:16 PM
From the looks of that article, that PDMRA thing looks like it's only Army, but maybe I read it wrong.

I think it's for all branches of service.

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/2007/Messagesfinal43.aspx