PDA

View Full Version : New to the Community

MrDMercado
03-30-10, 01:12 PM
Hello, My name is Daryl and i am new to this Community.
I will be graduating Highschool on May 25th. I turn 17 on May 30th so therefore i have to wait until after i graduate to enlist into the Marines. Wich also means i havent been able to talk to my recruiter on a recruiting topic as that is illegal. So as far as my knowledge about joining the Marines it has soley come from breifly talking to my recruiter on a general subjects, talking to my brother wich is a Corporal of Marines and my 3 years in Marine Corps JROTC. Although i have been in JROTC for 3 yrs i find that i have nothing to boast about, for example, i will learn everything in Basic as intended to be learned, none of this, "ppsshh..I already know this attitude".

I will coninue this thread later as the bell is about to ring and i have to catch the bus. Sorry, but i will be back to finish up later..

tdrt
03-30-10, 01:22 PM
LMAO -- oh, dear. Here we go.

Lisa 23
03-30-10, 01:23 PM
And the Marine Corps has boot camp/recruit training, not basic. That's the Army.

Osotogary
03-30-10, 03:36 PM
Thanks, Daryl, for the text message. Is that "i" as in lower case or "I" as in upper case? I think "I" is still the way to do it. LOL.
Actually, thanks for introducing yourself, albeit very briefly. I'm sure that the membership will guide you as you become familiar with this website. (Please see WMarine's input.) Learn as you go. There is nothing like starting and moving forward toward your goal(s).
All the best.
Gary

MrDMercado
03-30-10, 07:27 PM
OK sorry about that, i wanted to make the thread already before i left school.
Anyways, i was thinking of trying to get the MOS 6176--Tiltrotor Crew Chief, MV-22. I was reading before i joined on a really informative post about being a crew chief and the training involved. And supposedly my recruiter says that if i go into the DEP i can get a specific job guaranteed before i go to basic.If that's true then that's what I'm going to shoot for.

Other than that nothing else really to know.. I'm a graduating junior.. And last PFT i did at competition was last Saturday which won us second place in state competition was:

Pull-Ups:18
Sit-ups: 112
Run: 1:55
(a lap and a half around a highscool track wich was somewhere around 600 meters i think.)
1.5mile:9:10

Lisa 23
03-30-10, 07:39 PM
Again...

And the Marine Corps has boot camp/recruit training, not basic. That's the Army.

sscjoe
03-30-10, 07:46 PM
Time for Kims popcorn and Jims frog, but Lisa's all over it.

Lisa 23
03-30-10, 08:06 PM
My apologies to everyone for me being so nit picky...it just irritates the crap out of me when someone calls Marine Corps boot camp basic twice after I pointed it out once already. :evilgrin:

Now on with are regularly scheduled program...:D

Osotogary
03-30-10, 08:31 PM
My apologies to everyone for me being so nit picky

No, no, no, WMarine. It is better that the young man learns these lessons here and now but , frankly, I thought that he would have picked up on the difference because of his three years in Marine Corps JROTC.
Thanks for your additional input MrDMercado. Please be sure to capitalize the letter I and, if you can, check your spelling, as in highscool.
By the way, I am not a Marine but a father of one. Since you are just kind of "testing the waters" it might be a good idea for you to take some extra time to present your thoughts, double check your input...just in case. You never know who will be reading your input.
Take care.
Gary

ecfree
03-30-10, 08:44 PM
My apologies to everyone for me being so nit picky...it just irritates the crap out of me when someone calls Marine Corps boot camp basic twice after I pointed it out once already. :evilgrin:

And that's the basics of it all..............:D

MrDMercado
03-31-10, 09:21 AM
No its fine. What WMarine said is true. I just need to pay more attention to what i write. That was my fault, I was out of line.

tdrt
03-31-10, 09:56 AM
Welcome, Daryl. Don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have, but do pay attention as to how you are instructed/directed.

BTW - excellent MOS choice. Good Luck!

MrDMercado
03-31-10, 12:00 PM
I have always had an interest in the Aviation field of work. Being around planes or helicopters just gives me an amazing feeling. Having the privilege to work with something I enjoy being around...

tdrt
03-31-10, 12:41 PM
Patience, my dear. It'll all happen soon enough. In the meantime, looks like you may need to retake the ASVAB so do a little extra studying and work on your PT.

Riven37
03-31-10, 05:03 PM
Maybe I can help you in my Grad book from 1969 it speaks of Marine Basic training therefore, the Corps at PI did call Marine Training Basic training get it you old FART !

Lisa 23
03-31-10, 05:05 PM
Maybe I can help you in my Grad book from 1969 it speaks of Marine Basic training therefore, the Corps at PI did call Marine Training Basic training get it you old FART !
Excuse me, but are you calling me an old fart.

tdrt
03-31-10, 05:09 PM
Lmao

Rocky C
03-31-10, 05:22 PM
I'm staying out of this Thread :)

Hi Lisa, Hi Troy........

MrDMercado
04-01-10, 09:56 AM

WHY??

Im siding with WMarine on this one..

bquick13
04-02-10, 09:46 PM
My apologies to everyone for me being so nit picky...it just irritates the crap out of me when someone calls Marine Corps boot camp basic twice after I pointed it out once already.

Now on with are regularly scheduled program...

Glad to see nothing has changed during my short hiatus. :bunny:

Good luck to the newbie. :yes::p

MrDMercado
09-09-10, 10:23 AM
I am bringing this thread back to life as I am Already Graduated From High School and am awaiting some Court papers to go through so I can continue my Enlistment in the USMC.. I have taken My asvab and my recruiter basically said you Qualify for anything you would want to do.. Puzzled, I looked at him and Asked,"Can I be a Crew Chief"?.. He then looks up the Appropriate Contract and Shows me AG Contract, "Yes you Qualify". By reading on this Forum and searching I had Already known about it. With a Big Smile I said that is the Contract I want. So hoping that no one takes my slot and I don't Flunk the Medical Exam for this MOS It will be what I am Shooting for. Now Again All I have to do is wait -_- One more Month!

tdrt
09-09-10, 10:32 AM
I am bringing this thread back to life as I am Already Graduated From High School and am awaiting some Court papers to go through so I can continue my Enlistment in the USMC.. I have taken My asvab and my recruiter basically said you Qualify for anything you would want to do.. Puzzled, I looked at him and Asked,"Can I be a Crew Chief"?.. He then looks up the Appropriate Contract and Shows me AG Contract, "Yes you Qualify". By reading on this Forum and searching I had Already known about it. With a Big Smile I said that is the Contract I want. So hoping that no one takes my slot and I don't Flunk the Medical Exam for this MOS It will be what I am Shooting for. Now Again All I have to do is wait -_- One more Month!

That's awesome! Good luck! Keep up informed.

Wyoming
09-09-10, 10:50 AM
****, let's get back to the old fart business. LOL.

yellowwing
09-09-10, 12:03 PM
I'm moving this from Family over to Ask a Marine.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-09-10, 09:44 PM
I sense a disturbance in the force....

LOL.

Congrats, kid!

MrDMercado
09-17-10, 10:08 AM
I talked to my recruiter and I fell short a couple points from the ASVAB I took back in High School so I am going to have to take the ASVAB again.. That should be no problem though..While asking him questions about the Contract I wanted, he printed this out for me and told me this is what I can get if I Pass the Medical and ASVAB requirements.. Here is the link..http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb229/mbonilla-7/23774460937_ORIG.jpg

Now hopefully Everything goes good...Parents sign Next Monday and a week from then I will be Saying hello to MEPS.. :yes:

hbharrison
09-17-10, 11:31 AM
I'm staying out of this Thread :)

Hi Lisa, Hi Troy........

Rocky a very good choice, I'm with you on this one. See'ya:D