PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Scores

Garrett869
03-26-10, 02:08 PM
How hard is it to get an expert rifle score at boot camp? I'm a pretty good shot, but I've heard that it is a completely different style of shooting.

Thank you Marines.

thewookie
03-26-10, 02:53 PM
How hard is it to get an expert rifle score at boot camp? I'm a pretty good shot, but I've heard that it is a completely different style of shooting.

Thank you Marines.

Well, if it was easy everyone would be wearing cross rifles, but it isn't. So you get a mixture. I would guess based on my time working on the range that 60% get expert, and then 20/20 split for sharpshooters and marksman. But that's the fleet. Bootcamp MCRD percentages are probably 40/30/30. Or something like that.

Some guys pick it right up, some take time. One thing for sure is the ones who grew up shooting are NOT always the best shooters. Keep that in mind.

Good luck

polizei
03-26-10, 03:40 PM
Most important thing I can think of would be to take your time...oh and make sure you go to the bathroom before you have to shoot...I didn't, and it cost me those valuable 9 points I was from expert. :evilgrin:

BR34
03-26-10, 04:22 PM
Do recruits use ACOGs?

spotts
03-26-10, 05:15 PM
Make sure that you listen to the coaches on the range at boot camp. They know what they are doing and if you listen to them you just might earn your crossed rifles.

SGT7477
03-26-10, 06:56 PM
If you don't know a thing about trigger squeeze you will learn from the best.

Potato Salad
03-26-10, 07:15 PM
Do recruits use ACOGs?

I heard that MCRD recently made the switch to the M16A4.

ameriken
03-26-10, 07:42 PM
Before you ever fire off a round, the week before you qualify you will be 'snapping in'. When you snap in, listen, learn, and take it very seriously.

It's difficult, it's painful, it's boring, but IMO it is the most important key to getting a good score in boot camp and in the years to follow.

FattyTheFerret
03-26-10, 08:59 PM
Do recruits use ACOGs?
Not as of last FY.

polizei
03-27-10, 09:24 AM
We used ACOG's in MCT, but not boot...I thought you HAD to qualify with iron sights, and re-qual with iron sights IF you wanted to upgrade your rank.

They better not be letting recruits use ACOG's...I think my M16 was probably 20 years old, and lived it's entire life through recruit beatings. :evilgrin:

xbh
03-27-10, 06:02 PM
I thought shooting expert was pretty easy. Just listen to your coaches/pmi. The most important thing is sight alignment/sight picture. Also POSITIVE MINDSET. In boot camp, the majority of recruits shoot sharpshooter. There's usually about 1-5 recruits that unq the first time, but they give you plenty of chances to qual. Those recruits that unq are usually the ones with NO self confidence.

Hopefully your coach isn't a dick. I noticed that all the recruits signed to a coach like that, did not shoot expert.

And no, recruits still use m16a2's with iron sights. We had m16a4's with RCO's (ACOGs) and bipod in MCT though. SOI is actually getting a lot of new gear the fleet uses. All the nvg's, lasers, etc.

FattyTheFerret
03-27-10, 06:32 PM
My PMI broke down the sight alignment/sight picture thing very well. We still had to memorize the verbage but we were told it's easier to simply remember "keep the square thing in the middle of the round thing then put the square thing on what you want to hit".

xbh
03-27-10, 06:35 PM
My PMI broke down the sight alignment/sight picture thing very well. We still had to memorize the verbage but we were told it's easier to simply remember "keep the square thing in the middle of the round thing then put the square thing on what you want to hit".

Ours was "cut the target in half with the front sight post." Worked very well for me.