PDA

View Full Version : Quiz for Poolee's

Private Brown
03-25-10, 11:24 AM
I was thinking that developing a quiz about the things you learn in boot camp would be a good idea. Especially over the history. It is fairly easy to review JJDIDTIEBUCKLE, Hymn, Principles, General Orders, Creed, etc.. but trying to make sure you remember all the USMC history is just a big hassle for me. Maybe a few questions that hit on each area of what you learn in boot camp could be assembled? Maybe with a few things that made boot camp obstacles, rappels, and/or other things that most Poolees don't do or know about that recruits learned along the way? Maybe some of the common acronyms that recruits would be better off to know before boot camp? Just a little something to keep you up to date. Learning it is one thing, remembering it is a whole new ballgame.

I don't know how to make quizzes for forums, but would try to help if this idea is good to go.

Yonkers
03-27-10, 09:51 AM
I always google USMC quiz when I'm bored, there's a few good ones out there.. just do random ones.

Private Brown
03-27-10, 12:17 PM
I didn't even think about googling them....

alphasquirrel
03-28-10, 02:18 PM
Q #1: What is the Marine Corps birthday?

Q #2: Where was the Marine Corps founded?

:D

If you know anyone with a Green Monster (the Book you get issued to you in Boot Camp though I think it may be a different color now) it's a good idea to try to read through it. I hear it has not changed much and certainly things like Marine Corps history wouldn't change.

The beginning of each chapter gives you learning objectives and basically tells you what you will be required to know at the end of the chapter/section, etc.

I have my husband's Green Monster and thankfully he was an attentive student and highlighted all of the key points and acronyms and things his DIs told him were important.

My husband's Green Monster has been my Bible for a few weeks now. Every day a new GO gets put up on the family message board and my husband will often surprise me with a pop quiz such as, "What is the difference between the enlisted and officer's EGA?" or "What was the first amphibious lading of the Marine Corps?" or "Describe the insignia of a Master Gunnery Sergeant," etc.

If you don't know any Marines who can or will lend you their book (as many will not) then I think you can purchase them from Marine specialty stores online.

Okay I went and got my husband's Green Monster and flipped through the history pages and copied down SOME of the learning objectives from Marine Corps history. This is really only from History I and History II.. there are five history sections, I think?... Here are som examples of the learning objective/questions asked:

When was the rank of SgtMaj adopted?
Who was the first SgtMaj in the Marien Corps?
What was the reason for the Barbary Pirates war?
What is the significance of the officer sword?
What occured at the Battle of Bladensburg?
What is the origin of the blood stripe?
When was the Marine Corps' emblem adopted?
Who was the first female Marine?
What year was the Marine Corps emblem modified?
Who was the first Commandant of the Marine Corps?
What was the quartrefoil used for?
What is the origin of the term "Leatherneck?"
What is the significance of the Spanish American war?
Who were the two Marines to be awarded two Medals of Honor?
What was the year Marine Aviation began?
Who was the first Marine Aviator?
Where did the term, "First to Fight" originate?
What is the Significance of the Battle of Belleau Woods?
Where did the term "Devil Dogs" originate?

From Mission and Organization:
What is the document that establishes the Marine Corps Missions?
What are the seven elements of the Marine Corps Mission?
What is the location of the three Marine Divisions?
What is the location of the three Marine Air Wings?

Maybe later I will go through the whole book and pull out all of the history learning objectives and their answers.

ARIA
03-28-10, 02:23 PM
Woooow AlphaSquirrel those questions are a bit tougher then the ones at the recruiting office haha. :D

alphasquirrel
03-28-10, 02:32 PM
Woooow AlphaSquirrel those questions are a bit tougher then the ones at the recruiting office haha. :D
HAHA.. I expect so. ;)
What's funny is that even though my husband graduated from Parris Island in '97 I can turn the tables and ask him one of these questions and he rattles off the answer like he just read it five minutes ago. It's inspiring and a great learning tool.

Like I said, I think I'll try to copy all of the history learning objectives and their answers and post them as a quiz. Maybe it can be "stickied" for those who want to study up on their Marine Corps history.

:usmc:

alphasquirrel
03-28-10, 07:29 PM
There.. I made another thread. Marine Corps History Enabling Learning Objectives (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?p=623754#post623754).

Hopefully that's the kind of quiz you are looking for.

I'll post the answers later on tonight. Let's see how many answers you can come up with before I post them. :D

Private Brown
03-28-10, 08:37 PM
That is what I'm talking about! Great job alphasquirrel! :thumbup:

richshaver
04-01-10, 01:19 PM
well i am a poolee also. but what u really need to no is your general orders. those r pretty nice to remember. also i have a couple buddies in the core and my brother is in. when u get in to boot camp SOUNDOFF! what i would do if u want to be a company honor man like i do its get the guidebook for marine. its our bible. half the stuff about the core is east to memorize. but get the ranks and general orders down so u can say it sleeping. the ranks are important cuz u don't want to call a staff Sargent a Sargent he will prolly light u up

legioXvance
04-01-10, 01:30 PM
alright man, i have a high tolerance, but good God man.

You used the wrong no, its "know." the letter r is, are. core is Corps :evilgrin:, marine is Marine:evilgrin: prolly, is probably, u is you, cuz is because or cause at least, staff sargent is Staff Sergeant, sargent is Sergeant, if you want to be the company honor man learn how to write and for the love of God spell Corps right, and Marine is always with a capital M. Also you are gonna memorize a hell of a lot more than that if you wanna be the honor man. I have the same goal, and i have all Marine Corps history memorized now, code of conduct, general orders, rifleman's creed, the M-16A2 inside and and out, core values and what they mean, Marine Corps leadership traits, etc etc.

I don't mean to be a jerk but i gotta draw the line sometimes man, wow lol.

richshaver
04-01-10, 01:43 PM
Sorry about that i was typing fast. I apologize to everyone.and I no about the Corps spelling i was just not thinking.

legioXvance
04-01-10, 01:54 PM
alright, you're forgiven haha

Private Brown
04-01-10, 02:28 PM
I understand you are just trying to help but you are beating a dead horse. Ditto of legioXvance other than a little bit of history and the M16a2 (maybe so actually but I have reviewed the a4 version instead and haven't looked at the a2 since I'm pretty sure a4 is the modern standard issue). I am going to become familiar with a lot more than that as well. Everything even remotely related to the Corps is fair game. i.e Code of Conduct, UCMJ, acronyms and phrases, cadences, do's and don'ts, etc...

All this while making sure I don't stretch myself thin. It is sometimes hard to tell if you are though. Which is another good reason to have quizzes to keep yourself in check.

Private Brown
04-01-10, 02:39 PM
Well, the edit didn't take. Please excuse this double post, but I managed to screw up the edit and now am unable to.

edits-

"Everything related to the Corps is fair game. I am aiming for at least a privates knowledge before entering boot camp."

My goal is to go in as a know it all without the attitude and with an open mind.

legioXvance
04-01-10, 03:02 PM
My goal is to go in as a know it all without the attitude and with an open mind.

THAT is something we all must remember, not to let our heads get big, because we will get bent over and thrashed when we get to boot. good call Brown :thumbup:

richshaver
04-01-10, 04:44 PM
the M16a2 (maybe so actually but I have reviewed the a4 version instead and haven't looked at the a2 since I'm pretty sure a4 is the modern standard issue).

The M-16a4 is the standard issue rifle.All I believe you need to know is the M16a4 is a lightweight 5.56 mm air-cooled, gas operated magazine-fed assault rifle with a rotating bolt actuated by direct impingement gas operation has a 20 inch barrel and has a 2 fire modes semi-automatic and 3 round burst fire.

legioXvance
04-01-10, 05:28 PM
my bad guys, i meant the A4, saying A2 just sounds nicer in my head for some reason haha

Private Brown
04-01-10, 05:55 PM
Magazine fed, gas operated, air cooled, shoulder fired weapon

This is what I have been told you need to know. To hell with that lets take a few minutes to learn more shall we? We shall

M16A4 (removable carry handle)
Caliber.. ........................................... 5.56 mm
Weight.. ........................................... 7.9 lbs - w/30 (loaded) round mag 8.79 lbs
Length ............................................. 39-5/8 in
Mechanical Features:
Rifling ........................................... (RH 1/7 inch twist)
Detachable carrying handle w/integral accessory mounting rail
Firing Characteristics:
Muzzle Velocity ........................... 3100 fps
Chamber Pressure ...................... 52,000 psi
Cyclic Rate of Fire........................ 800 rpm (approx)
Fire Selector................................. SAFE-SEMI-BURST
Max Effective Rate of Fire:
Semi ............................................. 45 rpm
Burst ............................................. 90 rpm
Sustained rate of Fire ................... 12/15 rpm
Max Effective Range ....................... 550 meters (individual/point targets)
600 meters (area targets)
Max Range...................................... 3600 meters

legioXvance
04-01-10, 05:57 PM
nice Brown, i carry this info in my wallet everyday, so i can review when ever i'm bored!

Private Brown
04-01-10, 06:01 PM
I made a document that has everything other than the really long stuff such as the UCMJ, acronyms, etc.. and read it all the time I am not working out or doing something. I am constantly looking for more info as well. I'll make me a book and then start reading it on the head. :D Best way to learn something right there.

legioXvance
04-01-10, 06:30 PM
got that right, my throne is my favorite place, i will miss that more than my own family while i'm at boot haha

Private Brown
04-01-10, 08:03 PM
My EGA will be my crown.

legioXvance
04-01-10, 08:41 PM
Brown, that is an OUTSTANDING signature haha :thumbup:

Private Brown
04-01-10, 09:30 PM
"Got to be the best"

Not just a motto but a way of life.

0300ninja
04-27-10, 11:33 PM
I understand you are just trying to help but you are beating a dead horse. Ditto of legioXvance other than a little bit of history and the M16a2 (maybe so actually but I have reviewed the a4 version instead and haven't looked at the a2 since I'm pretty sure a4 is the modern standard issue). I am going to become familiar with a lot more than that as well. Everything even remotely related to the Corps is fair game. i.e Code of Conduct, UCMJ, acronyms and phrases, cadences, do's and don'ts, etc...

All this while making sure I don't stretch myself thin. It is sometimes hard to tell if you are though. Which is another good reason to have quizzes to keep yourself in check.

Correct, the a4 is modern standard issue in the rest of the Corps. Although, you will be issued the a2 in Bootcamp.
:thumbup: