PDA

View Full Version : Assaultman MOS a dead end?

EagerMarine
03-24-10, 05:54 PM
Hello Marines!

I ship to MCRD San Diego on Dec. 6th and was wanting to do something with demolitions. Naturally I looked at EOD first and then found out you need to try out for EOD so I will when the time comes. Then I talked to a Combat Engineer friend of mine who said blowing **** up was a big part of the division side; however, I don't want to sign into the field because everything else in it isn't what I want to do at all. So I began to look into infantry and saw the MOS 0351 for Assaultman. I fell in love at first sight. It would be the perfect job for me and I would work my ass off to become one (although I would be happy in pretty much any other Infantry job as well). However, my joy was short lived when I started seeing things about Assaultman only being able to go to LCpl, the cutting scores were closed out on the cutting score site, and that alot of the demolition work now goes to Combat Engineers and EOD. It seems to me that they might be trying to get rid of it completely. Does anyone know the validity of all this? Is it really coming to an end? If not, hell yeah! If so...well, back to square one I guess.:(

brian0351
03-25-10, 01:22 AM
So what MOS are you contracted for? <br />
<br />
FYI, 0351 is not a contracted position...you have to score high on your basic infantry course in SOI in order to claim it on your wishlist. <br />
<br />
0351s are not...

EagerMarine
03-25-10, 04:35 AM
Thanks for replying Sergeant.

Currently, i'm Open Contract, but before I ship to boot were getting my MOS picked out. Also, I know not to ship open contract if I don't have what I want so no worries.

Alright I get that. So you need to really prove that you can do it in your field exercises and things like that?

I noticed that you were both a 0351/0352. Did you get one and then change to another one or did they move you to 0352? Just curious on the circumstances of that.

Thank you sergeant.

EagerMarine
03-25-10, 04:58 AM
So is it possible to go from Infantry and after my first enlistment Lat Move into Combat Engineering?
(Not that I wouldn't give Infantry my all, it is another job I want to do.)

Sorry I had another question that I forgot to put on here, I don't mean to double post it.

smoking gunz
03-25-10, 12:48 PM
When I was getrting out the rumor was they were doing away with the 0351 mos. We had several guys mos change from 0351 to 0352. Not sure since I am not a 0351. After your first enlistment you can lat move. However that mos has to have spots open. You will lose any mos re enlistment bonus, and you would have to go to that mos school with a bunch of boots.

EagerMarine
03-25-10, 12:56 PM
Sergeant, thank you very much. This info def. helped.

brian0351
03-26-10, 02:46 AM
Thanks for replying Sergeant.

Currently, i'm Open Contract, but before I ship to boot were getting my MOS picked out. Also, I know not to ship open contract if I don't have what I want so no worries.

Alright I get that. So you need to really prove that you can do it in your field exercises and things like that?

I noticed that you were both a 0351/0352. Did you get one and then change to another one or did they move you to 0352? Just curious on the circumstances of that.

Thank you sergeant.

Correct...in a training environment they may let allow us a demo shoot. Or to train with the engineers for a day or two. It was never anything more than that. Hell, our demo kits we're so old and useless that we never bothered bringing them anywhere. Of course this was 10 years ago, two wars may have changed the outlook on the MOS.

I got 0352 from the reserves. I was set back to SOI from my reserve unit in order to get the MOS so I could ship to Iraq with them. They never shipped me...so I quit and came out as a contractor.