PDA

View Full Version : Referrals

Yonkers
03-23-10, 07:29 PM
I've been asking around everyone I know to see if they want to or have friends that want to join the Marine Corps, as I need two referrals to get promoted apparently.

Anyone else doing this? What are your techniques?

So far there is one person that is 90% going to sign up that I referred, and I got a few that are 50%...

And does anyone know any more things you can receive for referring more people? Like I heard a backpack or something of that nature at one point, but I do not know the specifics.

scarver007
03-23-10, 07:52 PM
yea ive been having a hard time finding referrals too. Everyone in my town wants to join the army. But my rss is giving out hoodies and stuff like that for referrals

Yonkers
03-23-10, 08:22 PM
yea ive been having a hard time finding referrals too. Everyone in my town wants to join the army. But my rss is giving out hoodies and stuff like that for referrals

There's so many misinformed people.. it's just... amazing. The problem with my area is that most people are brainwashed into thinking that if they go to college that equals automatic success in life. Thing is, they don't realize the costs of anything, and are really just going by what their parents (and school system) have told them.

scarver007
03-23-10, 08:46 PM
There's so many misinformed people.. it's just... amazing. The problem with my area is that most people are brainwashed into thinking that if they go to college that equals automatic success in life. Thing is, they don't realize the costs of anything, and are really just going by what their parents (and school system) have told them.

Thats how it is here no matter how bad alot of people i know do in college they keep trying to finish it because they think it will mean an automatic ticket to a good job but all they are doing is racking up student loan debt, its ridiculous

Yonkers
03-23-10, 09:00 PM
Thats how it is here no matter how bad alot of people i know do in college they keep trying to finish it because they think it will mean an automatic ticket to a good job but all they are doing is racking up student loan debt, its ridiculous

Aye, that's what my idiot sister did, she ended up owing 10 thousand plus in loans and such... and now she's working as a waitress!

Mledford
03-23-10, 11:27 PM
I've been having a lot of trouble getting referrals. I've been in DEP for 6 months and I've not gotten any referrals. I got one person that was going to maybe join, but had a DUI and couldn't join. I live in the mountains of North Carolina so my pool to choose from is limited. I've posted asking for referrals in my facebook status, asked around my high school (around 400 people), talked to friends (the majority of my high school) and I've had only 1 person consider it.

So needless to say, I need some tips!

NinjaMerdman
03-24-10, 01:56 AM
Mledford: I guess all I can say is keep at it. A lot of people who sign up were for sure "No's" at first. The people who go home and look at Marines.com because you talked to them are the ones that start to get a feeling inside about the corps. So just keep bothering them! That's what the recruiters do!

Yonkers: Let them know about the truly amazing amount of ways to go to college while in or after being in the Marine Corps. I'd be willing to bet some people are just ignorant of the fact that there's far more then just the GI Bill. Especially mention the MECEP program, that got me pretty stoked.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinetrng/a/mcecp.htm

I've gotten got two referrals for the promotion, and my recruiter owes me two more when I get back from Boot Camp. (So I've technically gotten four total). What I did was invite them to a no obligation PT session that my RSS holds every week. The fellow poolees at my station and I showed them what being a potential Marine was like. To say the least, We put a hurting on them. So basically, show them how tough even the less than recruits are, then they'll see what the Marines are made of.

Sorry for the long post guys, hope this helps!
-Duke!

Mulls
03-24-10, 08:19 AM
Aye, that's what my idiot sister did, she ended up owing 10 thousand plus in loans and such... and now she's working as a waitress!

college isn't like high school. you can't skate by and get good grades. you have to work your ass off to get a serious degree and you must amass a great amount of knowledge to make it through. idiots aren't the ones who make it through college bud. she chose to take a risk in her own way - not everybody wants to join the military where you get food, housing, clothes, and a steady paygrade. we're nothing special for having taken a physical at MEPS and having been deemed satisfactory for service. i went into college with 12 credits and i got 41 by the end of my first year, which got me the same promotion that referrals get you - i'd say the Marines value education as well.

KChap12
03-24-10, 10:17 AM
You just gotta talk to people a lot about it, I have like 4 referalls lol

NinjaMerdman
03-24-10, 02:09 PM
You just gotta talk to people a lot about it, I have like 4 referalls lol

Agreed!

MarinesFTW
03-25-10, 12:01 AM
3 people who filled out the starting paper work then quit and 2 others who weren't man enough to go through with it.. No contract PFC for me..

Yonkers
03-26-10, 10:41 AM
Hopefully referred my first person yesterday, my recruiter gave me a bunch of information pamphlets for me to show people when I'm trying to get them. Hurray :D

Mledford
03-26-10, 02:58 PM
Update: I hopefully got a couple of referrals today. My recruiter came to school. ;)

scarver007
03-26-10, 03:28 PM
Update: I hopefully got a couple of referrals today. My recruiter came to school. ;)

Your lucky that you'r still in school and get to talk to different people everyday. I have been out of high school for 2 years so everyone i know is balls deep in college

NinjaMerdman
03-26-10, 03:54 PM
Your lucky that you'r still in school and get to talk to different people everyday. I have been out of high school for 2 years so everyone i know is balls deep in college

I feel that! It can get tricky to find people when they're all really close to graduating college.

Poolee Knox
03-28-10, 10:29 AM
Hey does anyone know how to post your referrals on here, do u have to contact an admin.

IST
Pullups-16
Crunches-127
Mile 1/2-9:05

Yonkers
03-28-10, 01:10 PM
[quote=Poolee Knox;623488]Hey does anyone know how to post your referrals on here, do u have to contact an admin.

I don't believe there is a spot for them in your profile... and if there was I believe that the referrals they would be talking about would be for this site.

You could put your IST results and your referrals in your signature if you like, go to "My Info" on the options at the top and select "edit signature". Fill in what you would like, and that will show up every post you make.

tylhodgson
03-31-10, 11:21 PM
I've already got 1 referral. I'm just working on my 2nd one so that I can get that PFC promotion. It's tough trying to find people you know. Just make it known to everyone that you are joining the marines. Talk to everyone you know and they may be interested or know someone else who is interested.

I have about 1.5 months left!
San Diego.

ajacobsen19
03-31-10, 11:42 PM
Well Im just waiting on one more, got super lucky on the first one, he was super moto about it just hadnt talked to the recruiter yet, and he was my best friends boyfriend. Got him to the workout and all was good, and about two weeks after I joined. The second one is a lot harder. I have about two and a half months left, and the PFC contract would be great. Everyone around here joins the national guard. :/

Borknagar
03-31-10, 11:46 PM
Everyone I know either is going/interested into the Regular Army or Army National Guard/Army Reserve.... or not interested... the rest are either serving or far away... :D

So, I don't think I will be able to do much about referrals.. :(

legioXvance
04-01-10, 12:11 AM
Everyone I know either is going/interested into the Regular Army or Army National Guard/Army Reserve.... or not interested... the rest are either serving or far away... :D

So, I don't think I will be able to do much about referrals.. :(

I'm in your boat haha, even my best friend and wing mate went air force, and every one else went national guard, had one friend become a Ranger, wasn't to disappointed in him haha

but i'm discovering i'm becoming closer to guys at my RSS than any of my friends. slowly i'm becoming more and more distant from all the people i used to know

Borknagar
04-01-10, 12:13 AM
Exactly! I can relate to what you are saying - I have begun that process of segragation from mainstream society since I depped in.... and understand what my Marine friends have been telling me!

Damn those referrals!! ;) I guess it's more attractive when you become a soldier or airman when you initially sign up, and gain rank in the meanwhile, while having to do 'fun' stuff...

P.S. That's why they say 'the few, the proud'.....

legioXvance
04-01-10, 10:23 AM
And if they join the National Guard they get to go out and drill on the weekends, they just think that is the best thing in the world, and what bugs the hell out of me is when they wear their early issued uniforms and dog tags around expecting respect and discounts....:mad:.

oh well, patience is a virtue, and soon we will get to wear the title :yes: "The Few, The Proud" indeed!

AEGUY63
04-02-10, 09:17 PM
You just need to be persistent with your contacts. When I make contact with a potential applicant or someone who even has a tiny spark of interest you just gotta feel them out, identify what their interests are etc. Then bring them into the RSS have them talk to the Recruiter and see where it goes from there. Just bear in mind, don't be too hard on it in the beginning. Btw, I have 2 Referrals working on #3 now.

Prwalker
04-02-10, 11:15 PM
I asked a few friends if they wanted to go work out, not mentioning anyhting about pt with the Marines. They thought we were going to the gym, I had other plans ;).

Another poolee at my RSS asked his friend if he wanted to go to the mall.. He was surprised when they rolled up at the Marine office. The recruiters got a laugh out of that one.

Yonkers
04-13-10, 08:45 AM
I asked a few friends if they wanted to go work out, not mentioning anyhting about pt with the Marines. They thought we were going to the gym, I had other plans ;).
Very Sneaky! :thumbup:

the802
04-13-10, 02:43 PM
I cant get referrals either! The few in my area that are interested in the Military are pursuing the National Guard....