PDA

View Full Version : Question about changing MOS while in the DEP

RDespoiu
03-10-10, 11:14 PM
Hi Marines, I have a question about changing my MOS while I am in the DEP. I realize there aren't many recruiters on here, but I'm just hoping someone may be able to answer my question for me, because it seems my recruiter won't give me a real answer, and only says that we'll take care of it eventually since there's plenty of time.

I enlisted in December '09 and I'm scheduled to leave for boot camp on 20100913. My MOS at the moment is Legal and Administrative (sorry, I'm not sure what the code is...). I would very much like to get into either the Intel or Crypto Linguistic MOS, and my recruiter assured me when I enlisted that I could switch my MOS before I leave for boot camp IF a job I want becomes available, which I doubt will happen, but I'm keeping hopes up.

But in doing my research, it seems the new FY begins in October, so that leads me to believe that many new jobs should be open then, and if so, I'd like to push back my ship date even a month later to October so that I can get the job that I want, however my recruiter told me today that I can't get it pushed back, however, I know people get their ship dates changed quite often.

I'm not sure if my recruiter just doesn't want to go through more paperwork with me or if while in the DEP, you really can't push your boot camp ship date back farther (I've only known Poolees that got to leave for boot camp earlier, however I assumed the date could be pushed back). Any help from the Marines here would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I realize I should never have enlisted with the Legal Admin MOS if it isn't what I wanted, but I didn't realize it at the time, it's the past, and I'd just like to see if there's anything I can do to change it.

Again, thanks in advance for any advice, Marines! :)

-Roberto

spotts
03-11-10, 07:46 AM
You need to speak with your recruiter

Lisa 23
03-11-10, 08:29 AM
One of the posibilities could be that you would be getting close to being in the DEP for a year if you get your shipdate changed after the new FY comes around. And if that happens, then you'll be...

tdrt
03-11-10, 08:58 AM
I have no clue, but thank you for using proper capitalization and punctuation.

Good Luck.

RDespoiu
03-11-10, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the advice, Marines! I talked to my recruiter a bit more in depth today, and he said we're going to try and push my ship date to October as soon as these new jobs become available so I get the one I want.

Thanks again!

Lisa 23
03-11-10, 08:46 PM
Good for you in getting what you want!