PDA

View Full Version : Education requirements.

762SPR
03-09-10, 12:41 AM
Hi everyone.

I'm looking to get some clarification on the education requirements to enlist in the Marines.

I was home schooled all my life, and my parents didn't use any kind of standardized curriculum. The only "official" educational qualification I have is my GED. I took a practice ASVAB test a while ago and scored around 78.

It is my understanding from reading online that my GED puts me in Tier 2. And that the marines allow roughly 5% of their recruits to be in tier 2. My problem is that my recruiter is telling me that I need to get 15 college credits in addition to my GED. From what I read online that would put me into Tier 1... If I can get in as a Tier 2, why is he insisting that I get the credits?

I figure they don't like people with only GEDs because they are dropouts or stupid or whatever. I thought with an ASVAB of 78, and I could probably get at least 80 with some study easy, it would be an easy sell to get in as Tier 2. Also, aside form running (I'll be working on that) I could easily score a 200 on the PFT.

If I have to get the credits, that will mean waiting until the fall semester, completing it, and THEN waiting for another 6 months after signing to go to bootcamp. I really don't want to wait that long.

Is there some reason he doesn't want a Tier 2 recruit? Back when I was 17, the recruiter was essentially telling me that all I would have to do is have my parents print out a diploma and that it would be good enough. Or that I could get a GED, but that would be harder. Now with a different recruiter, it seems things have changed...

Have they? Or is my recruiter pushing me off so he can sign up an easier Tier 1 guy?

Thanks for any help!

TinDragon
03-09-10, 06:50 AM
You may be partially right... the Corps is actually pretty full now so recruiters can be picky as hell if they want to be, since they've got a huge pool of people to pick from. I do know that every time someone posts about it, recruiters want a 15 credit addon to the GED, so it's not just yours. You're probably gonna need the credits.

BTW, a 200 PFT isn't really all that impressive. If you want your PFT to be a big deciding factor, you're gonna want at least first class (225). A solid 300 probably wouldn't even help you though.

Silentwarrior17
03-09-10, 07:25 AM
There is no way around it, you have to go to school to get those credits. Now if your parents HAD done the standard testing and schooling it would be no problem. The Marine Corps does accept home schoolers as long as they have a deploma from a credited home school program and that everything checks out. On top of that the home schooler has to score a tier 1 on his/her ASVAB, which you did but you would've had to graduate with a home school deploma. There is no way around it now. Go back to school, get the credits and then attempt to earn the title. The recruiter isn't jerking you around, they are just telling you what has to be done. Nothing has changed when it comes to that aspect. It's always been like that and scoring high on your ASVAB and running a 300 PFT isn't going to change the face that you have to get the credits.

Lisa 23
03-09-10, 08:03 AM
And even if you were allowed to join with just your GED, which you're not, you'd be waiting quite a while to go to MCRD anyway. It's not like you sign papers and then go. There are many poolees ahead of you waiting to ship to MCRD.
There's a process to go through. Do you require any medical, criminal or tattoo waivers? Are you within weight standards for your height?

And when using the word Marines, it will be capitalized at all times.

Meeting The Recruiter
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/recruiter2.htm

Lisa 23
03-09-10, 08:11 AM
Oh, and how about filling out all of your profile so the Marines who are answering your questions, know who they are talking to. :thumbup: And you may also want to read the rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums to.

762SPR
03-09-10, 11:29 AM
And even if you were allowed to join with just your GED, which you're not, you'd be waiting quite a while to go to MCRD anyway. It's not like you sign papers and then go. There are many poolees ahead of you waiting to ship to MCRD.
There's a process to go through. Do you require any medical, criminal or tattoo waivers? Are you within weight standards for your height?

And when using the word Marines, it will be capitalized at all times.

Meeting The Recruiter
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/recruiter2.htm

Thanks for the info. That is my biggest problem. After I get done with a semester of school, it will probably be another 6 months before I even set foot at the recruit depot...

So just to be clear, they don't allow you to enlist at a Teir 2 (Only GED), you need to "Upgrade" to a Teir 1 with the 15 credits first?

I meant without including the running score, I could score 200. Reading it again, I guess I could have worded that better.

My apologies for not Capitalizing Marines. I try to do it, like in my first paragraph, but sometimes my fingers get away from my brain when I'm typing! :)

Thanks again!

Lisa 23
03-09-10, 11:43 AM
The Marine Corps is very selective these days being that they are beyond their quota, so it's best if you have those 15 college credits with your GED.

US Military Enlistment Standards
Education

For enlistment purposes, the military breaks education into three overall categories: Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3. The vast majority (over 90 percent) of all enlistments are from the Tier 1 category.

Tier I
Applicants in Tier I have a high school diploma, or at least 15 college credits. This means a high school diploma, not a GED. Depending on state law, completion of high school by home study may or may not be considered equivelant to a high school diploma.

Tier II
Tier II includes GEDs, home study (in some states), Certificate of Attendance, Alternative/Continuation High School, Correspondence School Diplomas, and Occupational Program Certificate (Vo/Tech). The services limit the number of Tier II candidates it will allow to enlist each year.

In the Air Force, the limit is less than one percent each year. In such cases, the applicant must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to qualify (Note: The "AFQT" is the overall ASVAB score (http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/asvababcs.htm)).

The Army will allow up to 10 percent each year to be Tier II candidates, but they must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT.

The Marines will only allow about 5 percent each year to be Tier II, and the Navy about 10 percent. Like the Army and Air Force, Tier II recruits must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to qualify.

The Coast Guard only accepts Tier 2 candidates if they have prior military service, and even then requires them to score higher on the AFQT (50 for prior Coast Guard Service, 65 for prior service in other branches).

Tier III
Individuals who are not attending high school and are neither high school graduates nor alternative credential holders. The services almost never accept a Tier 3 candidate for enlistment. If you fall into this category, your best bet is to get at least 15 college credits, so that you will be qualified as Tier I.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enleducation.htm

Also, do a search on the site about GED's and college credits as it been covered before.

762SPR
03-09-10, 01:33 PM
OK, I guess I'll see if I can get in on that 5%. If not I'll have to wait.

Thanks for the help!

tdrt
03-09-10, 01:48 PM
If being a Marine is that important to you, you will do what you need to do to even if that means waiting another 6 months or a year. By not meeting the education requirements, you are limiting yourself as to what MOSs and other opportunities are available to you.

Zulu 36
03-09-10, 03:59 PM
OK, I guess I'll see if I can get in on that 5%. If not I'll have to wait.

Thanks for the help!

I don't think you quite understand. The Marine Corps will allow UP TO 5% Tier II to be enlisted. It doesn't mean they WILL allow that many, if any at all.

Also, remember you are trying to be in the 5% of a nationwide group, not just a few wanna-be's at the local recruiting office.

If recruiters are well-stocked with Tier I candidates with no waivers needed, the likelyhood they will even consider you is very remote.

Get the 15-hours of college, study for the ASVAB, and kick that pig out of the park when you take it for real. You'll just have to devote the time to get it done right. Plus keep working on the PT, having a high First Class PFT doesn't hurt either down the road even when you are a Tier I.

If you get cracking now, you'll be easily good to go in a year.

762SPR
03-09-10, 06:14 PM
I can't get any credits until the fall semester, that's why I want to try now. I don't see why it would hurt to try. As unlikely as it is that I actually will get in. I'll see I guess.

rktect3j
03-09-10, 06:16 PM
Take your time. Do it right. Patience and a little extra effort will get you there. 15 college credits isn't that difficult. Look at it as a test and know that earning the title Marine will be much more difficult to obtain.