PDA

View Full Version : IF I were to be dropped from Sniper School...

Wannaberekeke
03-03-10, 10:43 AM
Would I be bumped down to 0311 or 0331 automatically? Or would I have the opportunity to pick another MOS? I've heard different things so I'm not sure. I did a search, but I didn't find anything, so sorry is this was already asked.

Thanks, Marines :flag::usmc:

Smitty Puffs
03-03-10, 10:45 AM
You go back to your scout/sniper platoon and wait for another opportunity. that's assuming you werent dropped for an integrity violation. if you cheat on the range or help your partner then they will not hesitate to drop you.

Theres no shame in failing scout/sniper school. A lot of PIGS are more then some HOGS they just couldnt get all the points they needed to graduate, made a mistake on the stalking lanes, etc.

Hanzo
03-03-10, 11:01 AM
Depends on what you did before that. If you are attempting to become a Scout/Sniper, remember that 8541 is a secondary MOS, you would've already earned your primary MOS which would be an infantry MOS of some sort. On the other hand, if you're non-infantry and going to the school to be qualified such as Marine Security or something along those lines, you would still have a primary MOS and you would simply go back to your unit.

Smitty Puffs
03-03-10, 11:04 AM
its 0317 now. Not 8541. Just for future reference.

Hanzo
03-03-10, 11:08 AM
its 0317 now. Not 8541. Just for future reference.

I stand corrected, thank you.

Lisa 23
03-03-10, 11:13 AM
In my opinion, you're getting ahead of yorself. Take it one step at a time. Talk with a recruiter and take the ASVAB first. Do you have anything that may require a waiver......medically or criminally? Do you have any weight to lose?

Wannaberekeke
03-03-10, 11:14 AM
Depends on what you did before that. If you are attempting to become a Scout/Sniper, remember that 8541 is a secondary MOS, you would've already earned your primary MOS which would be an infantry MOS of some sort. On the other hand, if you're non-infantry and going to the school to be qualified such as Marine Security or something along those lines, you would still have a primary MOS and you would simply go back to your unit.

So to attempt at Scout Sniper, I would have to already have an already achevied MOS like Rifleman? So if I for some reason couldn't go back I would just Go back to Rifleman?

Wannaberekeke
03-03-10, 11:15 AM
In my opinion, you're getting ahead of yorself. Take it one step at a time. Talk with a recruiter and take the ASVAB first. Do you have anything that may require a waiver......medically or criminally? Do you have any weight to lose?
I am extremely fit, I do the insanity workouts, have been for a few months. So im fit physically. Although I do have diagnosed depression. Though minor, I'm sure I'll still need a waiver. But I hear those are uncommon these days, Will this DQ me? Or is that only if you take medication for it? I haven't taken it in over a year.

Hanzo
03-03-10, 11:20 AM
So to attempt at Scout Sniper, I would have to already have an already achevied MOS like Rifleman? So if I for some reason couldn't go back I would just Go back to Rifleman?

Well, thats the way it used to go. Now that Scout/Sniper is an 03 MOS, it may have changed. That looks like a primary MOS rather than the secondary 8541 it used to be. Since my intel is apparently old, I'm going to back off before I give you incorrect information.

Smitty Puffs
03-03-10, 11:38 AM
heres how it works dude:

-go to boot camp
-go to SOI
-Go to your unit
-Every battalion has a Scout/Sniper platoon. They will eventually hold an Indoc or Screener (basically a haze fest that ranges anywhere from 24 hours to 2 weeks depending on the unit. A screener could also simply be an interview)
-If you qualify for the indoc or screener you can take it. If the platoon likes you and you pass, you will be accepted in
-You must be in the platoon for a year and a half before you can go to Scout/Sniper school
-Many Marines serving in a SSP never get a chance to go to Sniper school but they are still successfull in the scout/sniper billet.

And dont tell anyone a damn thing about your depression. They WILL DQ you for that ****. And like WM said, One step at a time. dont get ahead of yourself.

Rocky C
03-03-10, 11:42 AM
I am extremely fit, I do the insanity workouts, have been for a few months. So im fit physically. Although I do have diagnosed depression. Though minor, I'm sure I'll still need a waiver. But I hear those are uncommon these days, Will this DQ me? Or is that only if you take medication for it? I haven't taken it in over a year.

That's a DQ!!!

Smitty Puffs
03-03-10, 11:44 AM
ya if you have depression you're not gonna last very long in the community. it's not necessarily the "happiest" job in the world. and by the way, it's nothing like how you think its going to be.

Wannaberekeke
03-03-10, 11:46 AM
What if I get asked about depression? Just say no?

Lisa 23
03-03-10, 11:51 AM
Having diagnosed depression is a DQ like RhoneIsland said, and DO NOT lie about it, it will catch up to you.
Your best bet is to talk with a recruiter.

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission
Mental Health Conditions
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/neurotic.htm

Lisa 23
03-03-10, 11:54 AM
Medical Wiavers
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/medicalwaiver.htm

Rocky C
03-03-10, 11:57 AM

Mood Disorders

Current mood disorders including, but not limited to, major depression (296.2–3), bipolar (296.4–7), affective psychoses (296.8–9), depressive not otherwise specified (311), are disqualifying.
History of mood disorders requiring outpatient care for longer than 6 months by a physician or other mental health professional (V65.40), or inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential facility is disqualifying.
History of symptoms consistent with a mood disorder of a repeated nature that impairs school, social, or work efficiency is disqualifying.
Current or history of adjustment disorders (309) within the previous 3 months is disqualifying.

Behavioral Disorders

Current or history of conduct (312), or behavior (313) disorders is disqualifying. Recurrent encounters with law enforcement agencies, antisocial attitudes or behaviors are tangible evidence of impaired capacity to adapt to military service and as such are disqualifying.
Current or history of personality disorder (301) is disqualifying. History (demonstrated by repeated inability to maintain reasonable adjustment in school, with employers or fellow workers, or other social groups), interview, or psychological testing revealing that the degree of immaturity, instability, personality inadequacy, impulsiveness, or dependency will likely interfere with adjustment in the Armed Forces is disqualifying.
Current or history of other behavior disorders is disqualifying, including, but not limited to conditions such as the following:

(1) Enuresis (307.6) or encopresis (307.7) after 13th birthday is disqualifying.
(2) Sleepwalking (307.4) after 13th birthday is disqualifying.
(3) Eating disorders (307.5), anorexia nervosa (307.1), bulimia (307.51), or unspecified disorders of eating (307.59) lasting longer than 3 months and occurring after 13th birthday are disqualifying.
Any current receptive or expressive language disorder, including, but not limited to any speech impediment, stammering and stuttering (307.0) of such a degree as to significantly interfere with production of speech or to repeat commands, is disqualifying.

History of suicidal behavior, including gesture(s) or attempt (s) (300.9) , or history of self-mutilation, is disqualifying.
Current or history of anxiety disorders (anxiety (300.01) or panic (300.2)), agoraphobia (300.21), social phobia (300.23), simple phobias (300.29), obsessive-compulsive (300.3), other acute reactions to stress (308), and posttraumatic stress disorder (309.81) are disqualifying.
Current or history of dissociative disorders, including, but not limited to hysteria (300.1), depersonalization (300.6), and other (300.8), are disqualifying.

Current or history of somatoform disorders, including, but not limited to hypochondriasis (300.7) or chronic pain disorder, are disqualifying.
Current or history of psychosexual conditions (302), including, but not limited to transsexualism, exhibitionism, transvestism, voyeurism, and other paraphilias, are disqualifying.

Current or history of alcohol dependence (303), drug dependence (304), alcohol abuse (305), or other drug abuse (305.2 thru 305.9) is disqualifying.

Current or history of other mental disorders (all 290–319 not listed above) that in the opinion of the civilian or military provider will interfere with, or prevent satisfactory performance of military duty, are disqualifying.

Wannaberekeke
03-03-10, 12:13 PM
So, basically. I'm screwed?

Lisa 23
03-03-10, 12:20 PM
How long have you been being treated for depression and are you taking meds for it?

Wannaberekeke
03-03-10, 12:24 PM
How long have you been being treated for depression and are you taking meds for it?

Diagnosed at 10. took meds for awhile, been off them for over a year.

Rocky C
03-03-10, 12:26 PM
So, basically. I'm screwed?

I'm sorry you suffer.
Good Health to You Always.

It's a DQ for sure....

Lisa 23
03-03-10, 12:28 PM
I was just curious.
Good luck to you!

Wannaberekeke
03-03-10, 12:37 PM
Well thanks for all the help, Marines.

Looks like I might just have to dumb myself down to the Navy :mad:

Th3 Maelstr0m
03-03-10, 12:54 PM
im sure there will be plenty who have issues with the forthcoming statement, but:
im not going to say lie. all im going to say is that i know many a Marines who were in similar circumstances & just "withheld info" of this nature so they can serve. & guess what? some turned out great Marines. Others were turds.
i know a lot of people say lying to get into the service is an integrity violation, & those that lie are not worthy of the Title. In many ways this is true. In some ways it is not.
For example, i also know that a lot of Marines lied to get into the Corps during WWII (including CMOH recipient Jacklyn H. Lucas), & i doubt anyone is going to say he lacked integrity of character.
so is it wrong to lie to get i? thats up to u, & how bad u want it.
& yes, if u are caught, u will be in a world of shyt.
just my $.02

Smitty Puffs
03-03-10, 02:00 PM
Just don't tell them dude. They wont ever find out about it. You know how hard it is to get a hold of Medical records? They wont go through the hassle unless they have a reason to.

polizei
03-03-10, 02:29 PM
Yea, because I want a depressed Marine sniper watching my back when people are shooting at me...

Lisa 23
03-03-10, 02:56 PM
Depression is a very serious illness and shouldn't be taken lightly, and most of all, shouldn't be lied about in order to get into the Marine Corps. We shouldn't be encouraging someone to "lie" by "withholding" info about themself to a recruiter and the doctors at MEPS, especially someone who's been diagnosed with depression.
What happened many, many years ago has nothing to do with those wanting to get into the Marine Corps these days. Different time, different era.

Rocky C
03-03-10, 03:00 PM
Don't tell the Kid to Lie!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't tell the Kid to withhold info!!!!!
You just Pizzed me off!!!!!!!

Once a Liar. Always a Liar.
Once a Cheat, Always a Cheat.

He's Suffers from Depression, don't put these ideas in his Head!!!

YOUR MARINES!!!

Stand Down with this SH*T..............Remember "Semper Fi"???

Semper Fi,
Rocky

TJR1070
03-03-10, 03:12 PM
This azzhole smitty is some piece of work now, he's trying to give some poor kid advice to fraudulently enlist. Enough messing around, if anyone knows who this Marine is please PM me with his name and unit!

Wannaberekeke
03-03-10, 03:51 PM
Don't worry about me lying, thats something I'm NOT going to do. I already told my recruiter that I have depression, and he didn't say anything about it (The only reason I'm not in the DEP yet is because I'm waiting to transfer schools), Just gotta hope for the best I guess, could be waivered, might not. But Just gotta move on with life if it doesn't.

Again, thanks to all you Marines :flag::usmc:

Smitty Puffs
03-03-10, 03:52 PM
haha calm down guys. That wasn't me writing that ****. I got offline to head to the store a couple hours ago and left a former Marine by himself at my house. Glad to see where that got me.

Rocky C
03-03-10, 03:57 PM
haha calm down guys. That wasn't me writing that ****. I got offline to head to the store a couple hours ago and left a former Marine by himself at my house. Glad to see where that got me.

BULLSH*T!!!!!!!! and you just called A Marine, A Former Marine.
That's 2 Threads in a Row today.

You Stepped in Deep SHIAT, Back out Gently now RIGHT???

Smitty Puffs
03-03-10, 03:59 PM
Bull****? Negative. And yes, he's a former Marine. Got out in 06'.

I have a considerable history on these boards. If you look at my past im sure some users will see that those comments were a little out of the ordinary.

Smitty Puffs
03-03-10, 04:12 PM
But anwyays, to get back on topic:

If your depression is still an issue then the military isn't something you want to be joining. It will probably inflame it even more. Now, with that said, if your depression is no longer an issue and it was a problem that you have experienced years earlier, then I would follow the advice of my friend and just not disclose it. But, you have to be VERY confident that it will not be a reoccuring problem. I have never seen someone get a waiver for depression, they will simply just DQ you at MEPS if you disclose that. But, you know you vetter then anyone so the person who makes that final decision should be you!

Fraudelent enlistment? please. I SERIOUSLY doubt any of you disclosed everything that you should have at MEPS.

Rocky C
03-03-10, 04:15 PM
Bull****? Negative. And yes, he's a former Marine. Got out in 06'.

I have a considerable history on these boards. If you look at my past im sure some users will see that those comments were a little out of the ordinary.

And you call Yourself A Marine......

Nuff Said.......

Th3 Maelstr0m
03-03-10, 04:15 PM
But anwyays, to get back on topic:

If your depression is still an issue then the military isn't something you want to be joining. It will probably inflame it even more. Now, with that said, if your depression is no longer an issue and it was a problem that you have experienced years earlier, then I would follow the advice of my friend and just not disclose it. But, you have to be VERY confident that it will not be a reoccuring problem. I have never seen someone get a waiver for depression, they will simply just DQ you at MEPS if you disclose that. But, you know you vetter then anyone so the person who makes that final decision should be you!

Fraudelent enlistment? please. I SERIOUSLY doubt any of you disclosed everything that you should have at MEPS.

x2

Wannaberekeke
03-03-10, 05:41 PM
Its never been a reoccuring problem, I was in a bad spot, it was treated and now I'm fine, Have been for awhile. All I can do is hope though :flag::usmc:

Rocky C
03-03-10, 05:56 PM
Its never been a reoccuring problem, I was in a bad spot, it was treated and now I'm fine, Have been for awhile. All I can do is hope though :flag::usmc:

Stay well.
Prayers Outbound wether you want them or need them, that's just how it is with me.

Rocky

Old Marine
03-03-10, 06:07 PM
I doubt very much that this Smitty Puffs is a Marine. He has used the same lame excuse twice today on two different threads.

Wannaberekeke
03-03-10, 07:25 PM
Stay well.
Prayers Outbound wether you want them or need them, that's just how it is with me.

Rocky

Thank you very much, Sir. I appreciate it :usmc:

Smitty Puffs
03-03-10, 08:16 PM
I doubt very much that this Smitty Puffs is a Marine. He has used the same lame excuse twice today on two different threads.

No skin off my back, Gunny.

Marine84
03-04-10, 08:06 PM
Depression IS serious! Do what you want cause you're the one that has to live with it, but I think the majority of us would say fess up and if you're disqualified, you're disqualified. IF you lie about it and depression slips up on you again, it WILL come out that it was pre-existing and YOU will be the one to get in trouble for it.