PDA

View Full Version : Cant change MOS?

Poolee Schmidt
02-24-10, 08:20 PM
I called my recuiter asking if I can switch my MOS from 03XX to 58XX. (Cause I want to try and become a MP, and I guess you have to be 19 to be an MP and am 18) so I asked if we can push boot camp back a few months. He said no since I will be enlisted 365 days by the time boot camp starts.

Is there anything I can do. I dont want to go to boot camp with a MOS am not happy with. I picked 03XX at the time now I rethink that since I want to have some kind of job skill when I get out. I leave this June for Boot camp and I turn 19 in dec. so I was thinking push back boot camp a few months so ill be able to turn 19

ARTYPIG
02-24-10, 08:36 PM
Most Law Enforcement Agencies don't like prior MP's because the usually have to un-learn everything. Being a grunt you will come out with more skills than you think, especially if you volunteer for every school that comes along. You wanted 03 they gave it to you, now do your time, if you don't like it later, LAT move or jump ship. It really sounds like someone got to you and was giving you crap for being a grunt and influenced you to change your mind. You are going to the Corps, not them!

bcowperthwaite
02-24-10, 08:52 PM
I think your recruiter is trying to tell you that you can only be in the Delayed Enlistment Program for a maximum of 365 days. They can't push you out a month without discharging you from the DEP and trying to bring you back in. You risk losing your chance to enlist at all if you go over max DEP time.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-26-10, 12:00 AM
Stick with Infantry. For one, you'll get promoted faster. Two, if you are considering LEO work afterwards, you have a LOT to 'un-learn'.

fallfast90
02-26-10, 03:57 PM
The whole "unlearning" thing is false. Being a prior MP going into civilian LE helped me out alot. It helped me out the most when it came to writing incident and case reports. LE is an ever changing field, and you will always learn new stuff and you will have to decide what type of techniques you want to use. With that being said, being an MP opposed to being infantry really has no effect with the civilian LE selection process. Prior/reserve military is pretty much all the same to them.

Rocky C
02-26-10, 03:59 PM
I think your recruiter is trying to tell you that you can only be in the Delayed Enlistment Program for a maximum of 365 days. They can't push you out a month without discharging you from the DEP and trying to bring you back in. You risk losing your chance to enlist at all if you go over max DEP time.

EXACTLY!!!:thumbup: