PDA

View Full Version : Disqualification from OCS

slaterrm
02-10-10, 09:15 PM
Hello everyone. I went to see my OSO this afternoon. He informed me that I (most likely) would not be able to get into the program because I would be denied at MEPS.

The problem is that I had a stupid couple of years when I was a teenager and self-harmed. There are scars on both my arms. I got a clean bill of health from the psychologist that I went to when I was 16. I was never diagnosed with a disorder, and I have never taken medication.

He said that MEPS would deny me because of the scarring... having to do with the fact that the scars will be visible in PT gear.

I guess I'm desperately looking for a second opinion. Scar removal is unfortunately not an option. Would MEPS deny me because of scars, even if I had a clean bill of health? Is there a waiver I could fill out to get around this?

Thank you.

Lisa 23
02-10-10, 09:18 PM
How about filling out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to. :thumbup:

thewookie
02-10-10, 09:23 PM
I'm desperately looking for a second opinion.

And you seek that second opinion here?

slaterrm
02-10-10, 09:23 PM
Sir, my apologies. I just filled in my profile as per the sticky thread.

SGT7477
02-10-10, 09:24 PM
That wasn't a sir.:evilgrin:

Lisa 23
02-10-10, 09:26 PM
Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission
Mental Health Conditions

Behavioral Disorders

History of suicidal behavior, including gesture(s) or attempt (s) (300.9) , or history of self-mutilation, is disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/neurotic.htm

Lisa 23
02-10-10, 09:27 PM
Does my avatar indicate that I'm a Sir to you....and did you bother to check my profile? :evilgrin:

slaterrm
02-10-10, 09:33 PM
Double apologies, Ma'am. I should have checked your profile before I replied.

Thank you for the information.
Is there any way that I could get around that disqualification?

Lisa 23
02-10-10, 09:34 PM
Double apologies, Ma'am. I should have checked your profile before I replied.

Thank you for the information.
Is there any way that I could get around that disqualification?

No.

Young lady, you're expecting the Marines here to give you the answers that you want to hear, but we can't do anything for you except give you advice, and at this point, there's not much advice to give to you other than you wanting to be a Marine more than likely isn't going to happen.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-10-10, 09:57 PM
DQ is DQ. It's one of those 'things' that you can't overcome at this point. Those scars would be indicative of past issues that, as a leader of Marines, would call into question your ability and judgement. Like it or not, that's just the way it is.

Phantom Blooper
02-10-10, 10:07 PM
Scar removal is unfortunately not an option.

Even if it was an option...this would only mask the situation.

If the OSO told you no then the answer would be no.

You can be the nicest person and believe you are stable....and now you may be....but if you were to become an officer your men and women would have no respect for you.

Marines don't mind following Marines with scars and battle wounds...but to self harm is taboo!

Good luck!:evilgrin:

FistFu68
02-11-10, 07:24 AM
:evilgrin: Don't worry about it Kiddo go on with your life get a Good Education,become a Politician or maybe even Marry a Marine! Good Luck :beer: :iwo: