PDA

View Full Version : Custom Orthotics Waiver?

Private5069
01-20-10, 09:24 PM
Hello Marines,
I have a question that has been weighing on my mind for a while now. I have flat feet that pronate and as a result when I started running two miles a day they caused me severe pain to the point were I couldn't walk. So I made an appointment with a podiatrist and he gave me a prescription for custom orthotics and feet excerises. Since I have been wearing these insoles I have not had a problem running. However I know these insoles are also a DQ for enlisted in the armed forces. My question is can I get a waiver for this problem? or does this permanently disqualify me from the Marine Corps? By the way I recently took the insoles out to see if the pain would come back and it did. So I need them apparently.

Thank you in advance

Hanzo
01-21-10, 02:31 PM
I'm not a recruiter, nor do I work at MEPS, so I can't say whether or not you could get a waiver, but the fact of the matter is, trying to bring custom orthodics with you AND use them during training is just not realistic. I was given some at sickbay after I had some trouble with my feet and I quickly ditched them and dealt with the pain because there simply wasn't time to put them in my boots. I think most people overestimate how much time you'll have to get ready. Recruits without special needs will have a very hard time doing everything quick enough, add in extra steps and its not feasible.

I can't speak for other branches, but if you NEED them, I hate to tell you, but the Corps probably isn't for you.

Private5069
01-21-10, 09:16 PM
Well thank you for your honest answer. Unfortunatly it is not what I was hoping for but you make a good point. My only other hope is that the doctor I spoke to said it might be possible to build up my foot strength to the point where there isn't a need but it isn't looking good. Oh well this is not the worst thing that could happen to me.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-23-10, 02:15 AM
To further elaborate, it's a permanant DQ, sorry.