PDA

View Full Version : Recent Disqualification on Medical Terms.

wolves31
01-07-10, 10:48 PM
I was recently disqualified from the Armed Forces for in medical terms Chronic Keratitis of the right eye, which means my right eye is constantly dry. I went through Marine Corps. Recruiters and filled out all of the medical read-ups with them and handed in my medical documents to them. The letter states that I am disqualified from enlisting in any branch and even being evaluated at MEPS.

When I was born I had a tumor that had attached itself and formed completely around my tear duct. To remove the tumor, the tear duct had to come with it, they wouldn't be able to save it. My whole life to keep my eye lubricated I have had put drops of artificial tears in my eye. Through the winter months, when the air is dry, I have to put a drop in about once a month and I won't have any problems with dryness. All of my life I have dreamed of being a United States Marine, I never thought of doing anything else. I dreamt of serving my country and the most honorable way in my opinion was to join the Marine Corps. When I heard the news, it really hurt, now two months later, it hurts just as much as it did the first day. It's like I won't accept the fact that I can't get in. I feel like I've failed, and there is no accomplishment that would even be close to matching the accomplishment of one day being a Marine.

I posted this thread for two reasons: one, I talked to a recruiter that said that I could get a medical consult with a civilian doctor to evaluate me, can I really do this, is this an option and/or what other options I may have. Two, I'm just looking for advice, I'm depressed, I feel like I have no motives anymore, no ambition. I used to go and run and lift weights for hours before. Now, I barely want to get out of bed. I didn't come here to ask for pity, I came here to get constructed criticism, and motivation from the men I had once dreamed and still wish to one day be. Don't hold back, give me your honest to god opinion. Thank you for taking the time in reading my post, and please, this is my last ditch effort, if I don't do anything now, I never will.

Juicemang
01-07-10, 10:56 PM
Well, do all that you can to get the medical stuff squared away and get cleared for military service.

As for the depression, don't be depressed. The fact that you even approached a recruiter puts you above and beyond inumerable amounts of people your age. That you even went to a recruiter and have done everything you can to get accepted for training is very commendable.

Like I said, don't give up, keep trying. If there's anything to be motivated about at all, it's to get that medical stuff taken care of. If it doesn't work out, at least you'll know you did everything you could do. The rest is out of your control. Don't blame yourself, because even if you aren't cleared for training, you already have done more than thousands and thousands of America's youth have even thought of doing for their country.

wolves31
01-07-10, 11:11 PM
I just feel like there's more that I could have done, even though I went and talked to a recruiter, researched for hours and hours, talked to many Marines. I just feel on my part, I could have done more, and I don't know why I feel that way. I mean the Marines that I have talked to, have told me there's nothing else that I could have done more without being enlisted. But I still feel like, I could have done more.

Juicemang
01-07-10, 11:28 PM
Don't give up, that's all I can really offer you.