PDA

View Full Version : Awesome preparation for long marches

OneRadRudeBoy
12-25-09, 09:51 AM
I'm about to embark on a little backpacking trip from Las Vegas up to Salt Lake City, and I just realized that a backpacking trip, not only being incredibly fun and enlightening, would make perfect practice for long hikes in boot camp.

so far I've got about 30 lbs of gear (I know, it's not nearly as much as what I'll be carrying at MCRDSD.)

not to mention I've got a nasty pair of surplus boots.

my advice, pick a spot a few hundred miles away, get your gear, and go! just make sure you're careful.

sparkie
12-25-09, 03:20 PM
Ask around, and you'll get a lot of good old tips on a march. The one that always saved me was wearing womens short nylons under my socks. No rubbing on the skin, no blisters. Other thing was a pair of towels under your shirt, for the pack straps. Without that, you could get holes rubbed down to your spine. Learned that one the hard way.

OneRadRudeBoy
12-25-09, 08:12 PM
Thank you, Marine.

USMC Sokol
12-26-09, 09:59 PM
That sounds like a fun and helpful way to be prepared for hikes during RT.

ETWilliams0209
01-04-10, 07:25 PM
Just finished a 4.5mi hike (both ways so 9mi total) in Virgin Falls, TN last week. 800ft change in elevation, down on the way in, up on the way out. Had to carry a tent, sleeping bag, change of clothes (heavy since it got down to 20F or below that night), and food and water for two people (brother and I). Owned by some tree hugger so the trails are "minimal impact to the environment" i.e. they suck and the terrain is tough and the path hard to stay on. Just for kicks my friend (wannabe Marine) and I ran about the last quarter mile out, 'cause we're crazy like that :no:.

Your shoulders will get noticeably bigger afterward if you have never carried a 30-40lb load any significant distance before.

sparkie
01-04-10, 07:33 PM
"minimal impact to the environment",,,,, What? Damm those deer for making game trails all these centuries,,,,,,,,,,,,

ETWilliams0209
01-04-10, 07:43 PM
"minimal impact to the environment",,,,, What? Damm those deer for making game trails all these centuries,,,,,,,,,,,,

No crap :confused: . The sign going in said "Take nothing but pictures, Leave Nothing but Footprints"... bummer because on the way out my little bro was toting along his 1911 when we spotted a big ole boar about 30yds out, he would have been tasty.

sparkie
01-04-10, 07:46 PM
I always carried more out. So do my kids. Doesn't mean I threw myself overboard for some firewood. Or whittling on some friggin stick.

Pancaek
01-06-10, 02:17 PM
Definitely don't break a strap on your pack 5 minutes before the hike.

Its a little late to fix it at that point.

sparkie
01-06-10, 06:03 PM
Definitely don't break a strap on your pack 5 minutes before the hike.

Its a little late to fix it at that point.

Always had a sewing kit, and used it.