PDA

View Full Version : John Gray aka Flatfoot Changed Duty Stations

thedrifter
08-23-03, 10:39 PM
Yesterday John passed through the Pearly Gates....to join the other Marines who have gone before him....

He now stands guard and waits for us to join him.....

He will be surely be missed by all who knew him......

He is in Our Thoughts and Prayers....

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

THE FINAL INSPECTION

The Marine stood and faced God
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes wew shining
Just as brightly as his brass.
"Step forward now, you Marine,
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other check?
To My Church have you been true?"
The Marine squared his shoulders said,
"No, Lord, I guess I ain't,
Because those of us who carry guns
Can't always be a saint.
I've had to work most Sundays
And at times, my talk was tough,
And sometimes I"ve been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.
But, I never took a penny,
That wasn't mine to keep...
Through, I worked a lot of overtime
When the bills got just too steep,
And I never passed a cry for help,
Though, at times I shook with fear,
And sometimes, God forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.
I know I don't deserve a place
Among the people here,
They never wanted around
Except to calm their fears.
If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand,
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand."
There was silence all around the throne
Where the saints had often trod
As the Marine waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God,
"Step forward now, you Marine,
You've borne your burdens well,
Walk peacefully on Heaven's street,
You've done your time in Hell."

TO ALL THAT SERVE,
SEMPER FIDELIS

AND WHEN HE GOES TO HEAVEN.......

TO ST. PETER HE WILL TELL, ........

ONE MORE SOLIDER REPORTING SIR....

I SERVED MY TIME IN HELL......

http://www.vietvet68.com/graphics/guardians.jpg

CAS3
08-24-03, 06:19 AM
My prayers are with John's family and friends. He was a true friend here and will be sadly missed.

Semper Fi
Colleen

lurchenstein
08-24-03, 02:15 PM
Rest in Peace, John.
My condolescences to John's family.

mrbsox
08-24-03, 03:01 PM
Head bowed,
Eyes closed,,,
Rest in Peace John :marine:
And enjoy the Bob Hope shows. Save me a seat !!

I never met John, but spoke with him a few times on the phone. I know he is through fighting a battle he fought, and won before.

Semper Fidelis
Terry

prmama
08-24-03, 04:20 PM
To his friends and family. John was a great person to talk with. He was there when you needed someone to listen and joke around with. He will be missed.
God Bless ya John
Heather

greensideout
08-24-03, 06:01 PM
Later John----

Your wit and humor is already missed but not forgotten---

You have joined the Marines that preceded you---

Now you are there welcoming the Marines that follow you---

See you at the gate my friend----

Semper Fi

marinemom
08-24-03, 07:48 PM
John was a very special person - and he served his country, his Corps and those of us on the site with honor, courage, comitment and an amazing sense of humor.

He cared about people and he especially cared about Marines - always asked how my son was and what he was doing. His was interested in what went on - how the new members of his beloved Corps were doing their duty.

John, you will be sincerely missed. I am sure that Chesty welcomed you home with full honors.

FREEBIRD
08-24-03, 07:57 PM
To John and his family,
I never met John in person, but felt I knew him well,
We did a lot of talking on the computer and I will as others surely miss him. He was "ONE OF THE MARINE CORPS FINEST" and I'm sure he's on guard duty now, all the newbe's get guard duty.
So to John I say " Keep the Gates guarded well, and save me a place with you Brother"
Semper Fie my Brother,
Mike Walton (FREEBIRD)
USMC 69-76

gylancaster
08-24-03, 08:08 PM
John will surely be missed by all of us Marines and our friends who knew him. John has now reported to Chesty for duty and I know that he will carry on in the Marine Corps Traditions and bring his wit to those who are on duty with the big 6.
Semper Fi John you will be missed by all of us whom you have touched.
Semper Fi
Ray Lancaster
GySgt USMC (ret)

MillRatUSMC
08-24-03, 09:37 PM
0May God bless our brother John aka "Flatfoot".
Our condolescences to John family.
He has join MGunz and Nomad and many more Marines.
I never met John but he had the same manners as MGunz and Nomad.
They would listen to your problem and offer a bit of advice.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

lakers
08-24-03, 10:02 PM
John, I always enjoyed chatting with you, you was always good at making me smile and was always so nice and sweet to me. Thank You John, you will be sadly missed. Your family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers. Love Ya Friend. :cry:

GOD DOES CARE

Whatever Your Cross, Whatever Your Pain,
There Will Always Be Sunshine After The Rain.

Perhaps You May Stumble, Perhaps You May Fall,
But God's Always Ready To Answer Your Call.

He Knows Every Heartache, Sees Every Tear,
A Word From His Lips Can Calm Every Fear.

Your Sorrows May Linger Throughout The Night,
But Suddenly Vanish At Dawn's Early Light.

The Savior Is Waiting Somewhere Above,
To Give You His Grace And Send You His Love.

Whatever Your Cross, Whatever Your Pain,
God Always Sends Rainbows After The Rain.

troop901
08-25-03, 02:02 AM
All I can say is thank you John. You took the time to listen to me because you were there also and you knew what it takes and what it takes out of you. You had the trump card though John and I think you knew it.
And thank you Freebird, Roger and Jerry for remembering our friend and comrade in arms in a respectful way. Just remember me at the gates when I say, reportin for duty sir, because I know you will be standing duty because they only allow the best to stand it.
SF Ol salt, once again SF

Seeley
08-25-03, 11:16 AM
John I'm going to miss you. You were always willing to share your wisdom with me in the chat here and always had a great attitude about yourself. You always had a joke up your sleeve too.

BigCat
08-25-03, 11:45 AM
John...You were a beacon of sunshine here. My only regret is that I never had the chance to meet you face to face. You were a true friend to so many and you'll be sadly missed. Semper Fi my friend!

Sparrowhawk
08-25-03, 12:16 PM
He will be missed.

God rest Bro

Cook

CplHardCharger
08-25-03, 12:20 PM
So sorry to hear the sad news. You will truly be missed FlatFoot. :( Rest in peace and we will soon meet again!

Semper Fidelis

CplHardCharger
08-25-03, 12:27 PM
God Bless and Rest In Peace

peepaw
08-25-03, 07:56 PM
I wish to give my condolesceces to John's family and his many friends. For a good Marine and Man has gone on to be with Chesty. Keep them stright buddy. SF Marine:marine:

foxman
08-25-03, 08:14 PM
My Thoughts and Prayers are with John's Family as they greeve for the loss of their Loved One. Semper Fi Flatfoot. You've completed your Mission,we have ours yet to do, but because we knew you, this is a better place for more than just a few. Love Ya JARHEAD.

thedrifter
08-25-03, 10:06 PM
At 2100 Thursday 28th of August 2003 in the Chatroom we here at leatherneck are planning on holding a Memorial Service for John.............We would like to see all his friends there.

Sempers,

Roger

ivalis
08-25-03, 10:18 PM
Never met the ornery SOB in person. We had many a heated discussions on the chat. I'm glad the pain is over, saddened to miss the give and take.

Hope the big guy shows him a barco-lounger, a remote, and satellite TV. He deserves no less.

JAMarine
08-26-03, 10:34 AM
I would like to Thank Everyone who helped hold John up this past few months. In the past few years I've heard John when he was Happy, In Anger and when he was In Pain. I have prayed that we could have the technology to cure and stop his pain.

I have been on vacation this past couple of weeks and was not able to be contacted. I received a few messages from John's "x" wife this past week as John went back into the hospital. I only wish I would have known. She sends the message of Thanks to all.

Thanks to the "Evening/Nightly" Crew in Chat. I won't try to mention names because I know I'll forget one or two. John felt close to you all. You know who you are.

Thanks to all who were in DC for the Trip. The phone call we made to him in the hospital meant so very much to John. He told me in tears one evening that phone call made a difference in his life.

A special Thanks to Ron and his wife (aka-greensideout) for making a trip this past winter to see John as he lay in the hospital. Thank you My Friend.

If I go on any further the keyboard will probably short out due to the tears that fall for this Good Man. Or maybe it's because of the guilt I feel for not being here for him.
Regardless, I feel enriched and blessed for having known John.

As shown below, my flag will fly at half staff in Honor of John Gray until I decide to raise it back.
As I was lowering it last night my 18 year old (Who himself will shove off to Army Basic Training in two weeks) asked; "Dad, what happened? Why are you lowering the flag"?
All I could mutter through choking back the tears is;
"A Friend Died".

Dear John,
I'm so sorry.
I'm sorry for all your pain.
I'm sorry I wasn't here for you.
I love ya Marine.
I'll see you soon.
Your Brother,
rich

jo_beth
08-26-03, 06:26 PM
I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to say "good journey to you, John."
I know we will meet again beyond here.
I'm glad I got to know you and have you as my friend.

NT, Baby!!!

gapeach
08-26-03, 07:16 PM
John Gray, or JAG as I called him was one of the few from the originial "The Few" chatroom. I've known him for a while, and we both swapped war stories of the chemo and cancer treatments, we upheld each other in the fiercest battles past the ones of the Corps. I know that he has a place at the pearly gates and in heaven awaiting us all. He is no longer in pain, and for that I am happy, but for his passing, I am saddened because I can't pick up the phone and call him or see him here on the site. I will miss him dearly, and I pray that we all can find peace in knowing one of The Few, The Proud, The Marines. Semper Fidelis JAG.

MarineBrat
08-26-03, 08:52 PM
Goodbye John

I will never forget your strength and courage. I will always save a place for you in the chatroom!

Marine~Brat

~Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but rather openings were our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy~

shoreparty
08-27-03, 12:20 AM
THE NEWS I JUST RECIEVED HAS SADDEN MY HEART,,,FF,YOU MANY TIMES MY FRIEND LISTEN TO ME AND UNDERSTOOD,! GOD BLESS YOU MY BROTHER, WE AS BROTHERS OF A TIME LONG AGO KNOW WITH OUT SAYING ! TO HAVE SPOKEN TO YOU IS AS IT WILL ALWAYS BE MY FRIEND!!,,,,,,SEMPER FI MY BROTHER,, A TRUE MAN,A TRUE MARINE !!!!!!!!!!!! DAVE WINGIELD, from oregon,nam 67/68

firstsgtmike
08-27-03, 12:52 AM
I didn't know him, and I consider that MY loss.

For those that did, who loved and respected him, consider this picture.

A crowd gathering at the edge of a lake, to wave goodbye to a loved one moving away from them in a canoe. He is looking back and waving to them until they disappear from sight. When he turns around, to face front, he sees another group of family and friends waiving and waiting to welcome him when he arrives.

One group loses, another group gains. Rest assured, that he will be in the welcoming committee when YOU make the journey across the lake.

When you have orders for a PCS, it's comforting to know that you will be renewing old friendships at your new duty station.

SSgtOfMarines
08-27-03, 02:57 PM
John and I got into it one day in chat. We didnt talk for over two months. Before I left for the gulf, we were back on speaking terms. He was one of the FIRST to welcome me back.

Semper Fidelis Brother
Rest in Peace

Sgt E

Super Dave
08-27-03, 04:02 PM
Semper Fi John....
You served your country well..Rest in Peace you will be missed...

thedrifter
08-29-03, 07:51 PM
From the bottom of my heart I wish to thank all the Marines and Friends of John who said so many kind and good words about him in posts on this thread. Also those who showed up for his Memorial in the Chatroom last night. I just know that John is smiling down upon us all. Semper Fi and God Bless you my friend.

Sempers,

Roger