PDA

View Full Version : East Coast, West Coast, or Overseas?

ChaseB2010
12-17-09, 11:42 PM
If you had final say on it would you go East coast, West coast, or overseas? Why? Where did you have great experiences and where did you have bad experiences?

awbrown1462
12-18-09, 06:39 AM
I would have chosin a place I had not been before I had a choice when I re-uped and picked west coast where I was from. Ended up staying for 4 yrs I should have picked some place I had never been now I will have to pay to go any where LOL

Ironman9
12-18-09, 07:24 AM
Come on...no brainer. Westttt sideee.. You got Holywood, Venise Beach, Malibu, Huntington Beach LA, BIG BEAR, THE BAY, Grapevine, Long Beach, Newport Beach...the beaches, 2-pieces and more 2 pieces. S.D., Pacific Beach in the houuuse...Vegas is what...5 hours away, 2 if your at the Stumps lol good times. You can ski and surf in the same day. Its just too bad you guys can't go to Mexico like we did back in the day...lol good times...

Vandrel
12-18-09, 07:49 AM
I picked east coast for 2 reasons, 8 hours from home and best deployments. When our instructors were talking to us about our options our SSgt had the example that said it all for me, he said "I'm not going to say east coast is better or west coast is better but what I will say is I came from the east coast and as you can see on my charlies right now I didn't sit around my entire career and enjoy libbo". His example was a funny one because most of the other instructors we had were west coast Cpl-Sgt's and had 2-3 ribbons at most compared to the SSgt sporting 3 rows. We also had another Sgt who was east coast as well that had just as much as the SSgt. I joined the Marine Corps to deploy and see some action, not go on libbo and enjoy happy hour, that was all I needed to hear to make up my mind.... (East Coast, CHECK!).

WESTPAC's are nice, yeah the Pacific/Asia area has it's good points but in my opinion nothing will top a MEDFLOAT or UNITAS on the east coast.

Both sides will have their pro's and con's.

As for overseas, well that will never be a total career duty station. You may get overseas and spend a year or so stationed somewhere but you will eventually have to pick east coast or west coast. I was in Okinawa for several years, it was a great time and my family loved it too. In the end it was a nice experience but I enjoy the states and the comforts of home.

Hologram
12-19-09, 10:22 AM
I chose West Coast first for several personal reasons, Overseas, East Coast, but if I had been prior service and got to pick unit preference I would've picked Miramar MWSS, Iwakuni MWSS, and 3rd Intelligence Bn in Okinawa.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I'm getting orders to 3rd Intel.

Apache
12-19-09, 10:46 AM
They all are what you make of them

Marine1955
12-19-09, 11:21 AM
You need to hit overseas japan main land or Okinawa. thats where you need to go.Bottom line if you miss out going there you can't tell anyone you got to go to Japan for free and you'll love the people there, great food, women and culture. I was over there two years and love it. you have plenty of time to see the states once you come back but try to see Japan after you get out and try to buy a plane ticket to go and have all the hassle with customs and pass ports.Your young so live a little and good luck.