PDA

View Full Version : Showers

bballbrad22
12-13-09, 11:50 PM
Hi, Marines! I was just wondering if, in boot camp, you are allowed to take showers in your hour of free time. I know you get very little time to take a regular shower, so taking another one would be nice. Thanks, Marines!

CplGiraffe
12-13-09, 11:58 PM
I don't think you need to worry about this right now and I'm sure the question has been answered before. However I feel generous...
During your time there in most of first phase you will take a shower in the small window of time given and will not be allowed another. However on t 26 I believe it is your shower time will be eliminated and you must take one on square away time. However if your platoon does something dumb the drill instructors will be more than happy to do it the ole fashioned way.

josephd
12-14-09, 12:24 AM
like Moss said, during your first few weeks/first phaze you will be showering, shaving, ****ing, etc. by the numbers and being counted down. After that you will/should be allowed more time and/or allowed to do it on your free time. Just don't get your Senior upset by doing something dumb and getting it taken away. Cindarella showers are the best!

dizark
12-14-09, 12:35 AM
Hmm, when I went to boot, both the companies I was with had normal shower time but the time frame grew longer as the days went on. In my second company, we would shower before free time, do some other stuff, then go on free time. I remember a kid taking a shower during his free time right near the beginning of Phase 3 and got in trouble for it.

Zulu 36
12-14-09, 07:06 AM
The worst part (at least when I went through) is you took your shower in the evening, but sometimes the Drill Instructors turned the platoon into sugar cookies early the next morning. You stayed that way all day. However, it is those times when you will be glad you have no hair on your melon.

Donut Brigade
12-14-09, 07:13 AM
We showered and shaved by the numbers first three days, then DIs left us alone to do it on free time.

SGT7477
12-14-09, 08:08 AM
It depends on your DI's and how scuzzy you are.

Apache
12-14-09, 08:25 AM
Trust me on this
You will be told what to do when and for how long

Tookie22
12-14-09, 07:48 PM
We were on the numbers until t17. Right after initial drill you can actually shower on your own.

commdog7
12-14-09, 08:26 PM
We showered by the numbers every day until graduation. I think once or twice the SDI let us shower during our free time, but that was it. It all depends on your Drill Instructors.

ameriken
12-14-09, 08:30 PM
Of all the thousands of questions that could be asked about getting through Boot Camp and making the best of the Corps, I cant believe there are actually threads about showers.

polizei
12-14-09, 08:43 PM
Are you freaking serious? I just graduated in May, and we NEVER were allowed to shower during free time, and MOST of the cycle we were being counted down...just must be 3rd Bn or my DI's...I do talk to one of my DI's on facebook every once and a while and he did say we've had it the worst he's ever seen...(our platoon was actually pretty good too though).

Oh well! Anyway, stop worrying about it, you'll know everything you need to know when you get there!

Phantom Blooper
12-14-09, 08:43 PM
Marine Corps always has been GREEN....H2O conservation.

Prepares you for the DUCK showers of DUCKING in and DUCKING out....onboard a naval ship.

Don't worry there won't be anyone there who wants to smell you.

:evilgrin:

hussaf
12-14-09, 08:57 PM
Oh wait, I thought this was a forum asking for shower partners. Never mind then. I got all excited for a second...

MLMonk
12-14-09, 09:25 PM
Oh wait, I thought this was a forum asking for shower partners. Never mind then. I got all excited for a second...

lol..Don't ask don't tell right?

When I went through we never once had showers during free time. It was more like "port side you got 15 minutes to be online" just about the whole cycle. Only 1 time our senior gave us 45mins to shower, and our guide thought it would be smart to rush us through for 10mins, but then the SDI called him an idiot and told him he gave us 45mins for a reason.

ecfree
12-14-09, 09:39 PM
NO showers on free time.....You have one hour to,shine your shoes,boots,and brass,square away your uniforms,write letters and clean your weapon and not to forget,read the Marine Corps manual........S S S in the 5 minutes allotted to you and not during free time....

MontezumaCpl
12-14-09, 10:40 PM
Ahh, the 3 S's hadn't heard that in a while!

Thanks, Merry Xmas and Semper Fi! :evilgrin:

DocGreek
12-14-09, 10:42 PM
:D...."HEY, MARINE, COULD YOU PICK UP THAT BAR OF SOAP FOR ME???"....:D

hussaf
12-14-09, 10:44 PM
:D...."HEY, MARINE, COULD YOU PICK UP THAT BAR OF SOAP FOR ME???"....:D

My friend who went to bootcamp the year before me actually had 'soap on a rope' sent to him by his grandma!

Matt Brzycki
12-15-09, 09:34 AM
This reminds me of my first shower in basic training. All the shower heads got turned on. We marched into the shower area single file, walking under each shower head without stopping. In and out in about 10 seconds.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

dizark
12-15-09, 10:32 AM
We did that for our quick showers after a long PT session or a hump, such as a 3 mile run. It was called PT RT, I believe.

BR34
12-15-09, 11:01 AM

Wait, wait, wait, WAIT, just wait one minute, while I try to process this.

Okay, your name is Adam.

His name is Brad.

You got "all excited" when you thought he was asking for shower partners? Okay, now, am I seeing this right, or am I just f*ck up in the BHG?

SGT7477
12-15-09, 12:27 PM
This reminds me of my first shower in basic training. All the shower heads got turned on. We marched into the shower area single file, walking under each shower head without stopping. In and out in about 10 seconds.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)
I'll never forget that myself, Semper Fidelis.:D

polizei
12-15-09, 02:26 PM
NO showers on free time.....You have one hour to,shine your shoes,boots,and brass,square away your uniforms,write letters and clean your weapon and not to forget,read the Marine Corps manual........S S S in the 5 minutes allotted to you and not during free time....

I forgot how to shine my tan combat boots, can you enlighten me. :bunny:

The 3 S's are pretty accurate...but you don't shine shoes or boots anymore, nor do you work on uniforms or brass, or clean your weapon for that matter. At least, I didn't...except in 3rd phase, where I IP'd my uniforms to get ready for graduation.

Ruby
12-15-09, 02:45 PM
Lol, In first phase we were counted down, but after that, our DI's split the platoon up into two groups, and the first group had to run in and shower while the group that remained in the squadbay rattled off the general orders as fast as they could. As soon as they were finished, you were done. Then it was the other group's turn, and it was done the other way around. We could recite those orders so fast by graduation that you could barely understand a word of what was said.

ecfree
12-15-09, 02:48 PM
I forgot how to shine my tan combat boots, can you enlighten me.

The 3 S's are pretty accurate...but you don't shine shoes or boots anymore, nor do you work on uniforms or brass, or clean your weapon for that matter. At least, I didn't...except in 3rd phase, where I IP'd my uniforms to get ready for graduation.
Lad,when I went through PI,we shined everything that didn't move.....Our boots were the black rough leather that we used saddle soap on.....So you're telling me you had a dirty weapon and dirty brass and shoes.....
And thats the new Corps ?
Well then,I'd have to say that the Old Corps was mare squared away............:D
SEMPER FI..........BOOT......:iwo:.........Ed

BR34
12-15-09, 03:19 PM
Lad,when I went through PI,we shined everything that didn't move.....Our boots were the black rough leather that we used saddle soap on.....So you're telling me you had a dirty weapon and dirty brass and shoes.....
And thats the new Corps ?
Well then,I'd have to say that the Old Corps was mare squared away............:D
SEMPER FI..........BOOT......:iwo:.........Ed

There is nothing brass in the new Corps. Space age polymer all around!

giveen
12-15-09, 03:21 PM
Get ready for some quick showers!
I remember times where I had 30 seconds to get wet, soap up, and rinse.

And that was my DI being generous.

Lisa 23
12-15-09, 03:21 PM
Ecfree, they have anodized brass and corfram shoes now. No brass, shoes or boots to polish. Even the cammies are wash and wear. As for not cleaning your weapon, well, couldn't tell you about that one. I remember cleaning ours almost every day, depending on what was going on.

hussaf
12-15-09, 03:22 PM
What belt do you guys wear in bootcamp before you qual for MCMAP?

commdog7
12-15-09, 03:29 PM
What belt do you guys wear in bootcamp before you qual for MCMAP?

Web belt.

hussaf
12-15-09, 03:44 PM
Web belt.

Well since they are still giving those out in bootcamp, that is something they will have to shine.

Lisa 23
12-15-09, 03:46 PM
Well since they are still giving those out in bootcamp, that is something they will have to shine.
Nope.......anodized belt buckle.

hussaf
12-15-09, 04:26 PM
Huh, well I'm not that old. I got out of bootcamp in 01, but I still remember shining all sorts of stuff....more than just leather boots.

SGT7477
12-15-09, 04:41 PM
Ecfree, they have anodized brass and corfram shoes now. No brass, shoes or boots to polish. Even the cammies are wash and wear. As for not cleaning your weapon, well, couldn't tell you about that one. I remember cleaning ours almost every day, depending on what was going on.
Shoot they have it easy, no more spit shine?:evilgrin:?

BR34
12-15-09, 04:44 PM
Huh, well I'm not that old. I got out of bootcamp in 01, but I still remember shining all sorts of stuff....more than just leather boots.

There was still a whole host of things we used up a seemingly endless supply of Brasso on (this was only 3 years ago).

Zulu 36
12-15-09, 05:02 PM
No more spit shining the leather brim on the barracks cover either. What is the world coming to? :(

Supersquishy
12-15-09, 05:18 PM
No more spit shining the leather brim on the barracks cover either. What is the world coming to? :(

Its becoming the new "Eco-Friendly" boot camp, no petroleum based boot polish and methyethylketone based brass polish to destroy our environment.:sick:

Tookie22
12-15-09, 05:42 PM
You'll be a webbelt ninja until you can actually wear your tan belt

hussaf
12-15-09, 05:50 PM
There was still a whole host of things we used up a seemingly endless supply of Brasso on (this was only 3 years ago).

With that, I now remember Brasso'ing pretty much the whole bathroom for one of the barracks inspections... We also used Aqua Velva to clean just about everything else.

commdog7
12-15-09, 05:55 PM
What does brasso have to do with taking showers?

Rocky C
12-15-09, 05:59 PM

Shiney Hiney ???:D

BR34
12-15-09, 06:04 PM

For starters everything that can shine will stop shining once the water from a shower hits it. Had to brasso the **** out of the shower heads and controls.

I guess you 4th Bt Marines have self-shining metals though, eh, Sgt? :D

polizei
12-15-09, 06:04 PM
Lol! No there's nothing to shine anymore...and I never said I didn't have to clean my weapon, but I never did it during free-time! No one did...

And the only thing we used Brasso on was the duct work and bathroom. Oh the torture of cleaning...

commdog7
12-15-09, 06:16 PM
For starters everything that can shine will stop shining once the water from a shower hits it. Had to brasso the **** out of the shower heads and controls.

I guess you 4th Bt Marines have self-shining metals though, eh, Sgt? :D

Our stuff always shined, because we were awesome. :banana:

My point was this thread has gone rogue.

Lisa 23
12-15-09, 06:29 PM
Hi, Marines! I was just wondering if, in boot camp, you are allowed to take showers in your hour of free time. I know you get very little time to take a regular shower, so taking another one would be nice. Thanks, Marines!

Personally, I can't believe someone actually started a thread about showers. There are a lot more important things to worry about going through in recruit training than whether you can take a shower on your free time or not.
You'll find out when you get there and start going through recruit training. Every Drill Instructor has their own routine of doing things anyway. So what anyone says here can be the complete opposite of what the Marines here are telling you.

echo3oscar1833
12-15-09, 06:31 PM
Our stuff always shined, because we were awesome. :banana:

My point was this thread has gone rogue.

Define Awesome:banana::D

Lisa 23
12-15-09, 06:37 PM
I forgot to add.....I'm not saying that hygiene isn't important, because it is....but geeeeesh.
And like I said, there are more important things to worry about during recruit training than whether you can take a shower on your free time or not. You'll find out when you get there.

Matt Brzycki
12-15-09, 08:02 PM

That's exactly what I was thinkin! Thread starts out with a question on takin showers in basic training and segues over to a question on what belts you wear before MCMAP and a discourse on Brasso.

Hilarious!

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

SGT7477
12-15-09, 10:17 PM
Ours looked like glass when they were done could just about shave with that shine.:D

SGT7477
12-15-09, 10:19 PM
Personally, I can't believe someone actually started a thread about showers. There are a lot more important things to worry about going through in recruit training than whether you can take a shower on your free time or not.
You'll find out when you get there and start going through recruit training. Every Drill Instructor has their own routine of doing things anyway. So what anyone says here can be the complete opposite of what the Marines here are telling you.
Exactly Marine, Semper Fidelis.:flag:

SGT7477
12-15-09, 10:20 PM
Shiney Hiney ???:D
Brass Balls?:bunny:

Rocky C
12-16-09, 05:26 PM
Brass Balls?:bunny:
HAHAHAHA!!!
F*cking Ronnie, Good One My Brother :thumbup:,
Semper Fi,
Rocky

RYDERKUR
12-16-09, 05:56 PM
Lol! No there's nothing to shine anymore...and I never said I didn't have to clean my weapon, but I never did it during free-time! No one did...

And the only thing we used Brasso on was the duct work and bathroom. Oh the torture of cleaning...

There's not the "Senior Drill Instructor..??" anymore? I forget what it was called, but it was like a 4 inch piece of Stainless Steel or something on the floor between the squadbay and quarterdeck.

Vandrel
12-16-09, 07:09 PM

hahahaha

hussaf
12-16-09, 07:36 PM
Thanks Van, I'm glad my humor didn't go completely unnoticed!

Phantom Blooper
12-16-09, 07:46 PM
Two pages of washing ones nasty azz and then shining stuff up with Brasso .....This thread is washed up!:evilgrin:

03INF
12-17-09, 05:56 AM
All I remember is about 80 of us- naked dudes running down the far-side of the squadbay to make it back online, laughing our asses off.

polizei
12-17-09, 07:21 AM
There's not the "Senior Drill Instructor..??" anymore? I forget what it was called, but it was like a 4 inch piece of Stainless Steel or something on the floor between the squadbay and quarterdeck.

Huh? There's still a SDI, and I have no idea about the 4" SS strip. I didn't have one in my squadbay. They did have them in the other buildings though...which I had to shine and clean during the "*****" week.

NoRemorse
12-17-09, 07:23 AM

I'd like to say that's the Mot line and it is by no means ever to be stepped on.

RYDERKUR
12-17-09, 08:04 AM
I'd like to say that's the Mot line and it is by no means ever to be stepped on.

Yea, that's it! Thanks. I remember brasso-ing the F out of that thing.

BR34
12-17-09, 08:21 AM

That was MY s*it! I was Mot line recruit for morning clean up for about 9 weeks of my boot camp experience.

CPLGRAY90-94
12-20-09, 12:39 PM
Shower? Hahahahahaha! We don't need no stinkin showers!

Marine1391
12-20-09, 09:09 PM
I never remember being able to take any showers on free time. It was always a scheduled thing and we all had to do it at a certain time. We weren't allowed to be in the showers on our own time. We were, however, allowed to wash our hair in the big sinks (I guess that's the equivalent of guys shaving). My hair got so nasty in bootcamp that I had to get 5 inches cut off when I got home just to get rid of the dead ends.