PDA

View Full Version : Physical fitness for Infantry

jc091393
11-20-09, 11:29 PM
Hello Marines,I was just wondering,I've heard that you have to have a 1st class pft to be infantry,is this true? I can pass the pft but barely.I have lots of time to improve it but I was just wondering if the above statement is true or if boot camp will get you in good enough shape for it.Thanks for the replies Marines!

dizark
11-21-09, 12:32 AM
I don't know if this is true, but I can think of a few Marines I went to boot with, who had a second class PFT and are infantry.

smoking gunz
11-21-09, 12:56 AM
No you do not need a first class pft to be infantry. Should you though, of course. You will not be promoted unless you have a first class pft. If you dont, especially being a boot your team leader will give you the extra attention that you deserve until you obtain and maintain a first class pft.

slug
11-21-09, 01:07 AM
You will get plenty of extra attention and loving care from your seniors and chain of command with such a pft score. Sure, jump in to the grunts, we accept all shapes and sizes!

Just make sure you let one of us brass check your weapon before you pull the trigger, less paperwork when you succeed the first time.

bgsuwoody
11-21-09, 11:41 AM
I am not going to sugarcoat **** like a lot of these guys. You will get your ass stomped in. You will not keep up, you will not progress, and quite frankly you will be given extra attention which will be remedial PT and just more unforgiving PT at the start. And if your senior Marines are smart they will make everyone do it because of your downfall. Dont be that guy spend the time now, it will pay dividends later. BTW If my boots have less than a 250 PFT in my Sqd we do remedial PT. So make that your lowest goal if you have one to set

Lupo22
11-21-09, 12:46 PM
We have a few Marines in my little "boot" squad who run low 1st class PFTs. Mostly because of pull-ups. They get their butts WORKED. Too much in my opinion. Your body needs time to heal and rebuild torn muscle tissue when you're doing 5 sets of max pullups every single day...it doesn't do much good.

jc091393
11-24-09, 10:31 PM
Thanks Marines! I'm trying to improve my fitness so that by the time I DEP I'll be in good shape! A few weeks ago I wasn't even able to do one single pull up so I feel like I'm improving! :) I really wanna work on run time though any advice? I've been running every other day or so at distances of 1.5 to 3 miles.

SlingerDun
11-25-09, 12:16 AM
I've been running every other day or so at distances of 1.5 to 3 milesSince you have proven capable of running 3 miles every other day, or so, then whats up with the 1.5?! It may not be a waste of time, but those easy day's won't help much if you expect to run faster and further. So after the 1.5 day, you could top it off with climbing bleachers until you're convinced it took you down a notch. You don't necessarily have to run stairs or bleachers but you need to eventually hurt.

--->Dave

Quinbo
11-25-09, 01:10 AM
Speaking of stairs. You need to go on a vision quest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BiC3OUNFqE

gwamo1
11-25-09, 08:55 AM
Personally, I find it hard to NOT get a first class. I am a terrible runner, but I still managed to get a 241 on the last PFT. 224 and below on the PFT, I tend to not give much attention to.

SlingerDun
11-25-09, 06:15 PM
There was a college student in the USA Oregon wrestling room that told me he was a high school Jr in Spokane when Vision Quest hit the theaters. Next season a swarm of new guys showed up at his room most of whom had never changed levels and hit a double leg in their lives but they all wanted a shot at that state title!

DADDYMAC34
11-27-09, 07:11 AM
Speaking of stairs. You need to go on a vision quest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BiC3OUNFqE

Sgt Quinn and myself certainly know how grueling Marine PT can be!!! Absolutely insane!!!!!!!!

Quinbo
11-29-09, 11:59 AM
LOL ... that a hole actually made us do stupid chit like hopping backwards up hill while holding one ankle. The freakin whales teeth relay on the rifle range, the track run a 440 in 2 minutes and sit out the next one more than 2 minutes you had to run another had jarheads crawling around the track by the time we were through, that freakin cargo net climb it or die trying your ass is so smoked when you get to the top you feel like passing out and you still have to climb back down. Ohhh yea body by Barnes. We never lacked for PT. Semper Fi Mac

Quinbo
11-29-09, 12:06 PM
I forgot about the indian runs on KT ... are you freaking ****ting me indian runs on KT? Body by barnes! We actually did have a Marine die from PT ... God rest your soul Kenan. The boss did back off a little after that but it was still brutal.

DADDYMAC34
11-29-09, 12:58 PM
I forgot about the indian runs on KT ... are you freaking ****ting me indian runs on KT? Body by barnes! We actually did have a Marine die from PT ... God rest your soul Kenan. The boss did back off a little after that but it was still brutal.

Kanas Tower if I remeber correctly. I believe I just puked in my mouth!!! Woody told me that PT was worst then when he got to Force Recon!!!

Quinbo
11-29-09, 01:07 PM
There was another thing Barnes did... if you wanted to hit the roach coach after PT you had to do 20 pull ups. No 20 pull ups no chili and rice and a pop for breakfast. He even had the 1st Sgt out there doing 20 pull ups for a breakfast burrito.

Quinbo
11-29-09, 01:12 PM
One other memory of Capt Barnes. We were on a break in Korea and this local came up trying to sell cokes. The captain said you can only sell us cokes if you have enough for everyone and I'll pay. The guy took off on his motorcycle and about that time we loaded up on am-tracs and took off. Here is some little korean guy chasing us with 20 some cases of coke on the book rack of his motorcycle. We never did get the cokes but we did get the one finger salute LOL