PDA

View Full Version : I need help switching my MOS.

joshpike4
11-19-09, 04:40 AM
Hey poolees I was just wondering if any of you had advice or similar experiences with your recruiters to this subject. I am currently a UH contract for 03xx infantry. My main goal is to switch to a UZ 0321 recon contract. I have contacted my recruiter about this and I know its just an option contract. Of course if I fail the tests I know I am still going to be 03xx. I am all set with that I was just wondering if any of you had experience with getting the additional contract and how to go about it. Short of bugging my recruiter everyday to get me the option I don't know what else to do. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks

TheRichmondKid
11-19-09, 06:06 AM
Bug your ****in' recruiter, it's what hes there for!

TheRichmondKid
11-19-09, 06:07 AM
Also better have a perfect PFT if you even want to think about Recon. Stay motivated!

dds0113
11-19-09, 08:51 AM
I was originally going for the UZ also, but I decided to go with UH anyway. I read the contracts and from what I understand, someone please correct me if I am mistaken, if you have the UZ contract and fail indoc, you are automatically a 0311 without the choice. Therefore since it seems on most occasions in ITB you get the chance to try out, or you can try out anytime you want after ITB, why not keep your options open? If your first choice is 0311 more power to you. Personally I find 0351 more interesting.

Also you can change contracts all the way up until the date your shipping (yet again from what I have been told by my recruiter please correct me if I'm wrong). Of course this is only applicable if there is a slot available.

GDean
11-19-09, 09:45 AM
from what i have heard at the indoc if you do not have a UZ contract you are NOT guaranteed a tryout. you may get one if there are slots, but they deffinitely do not have to let you. Try for that UZ! show your recruiter that you are motivated mentally and physically and you may get it switched. i started as Security Forces and earned a switch to UZ. It is deffinitely possible and from what I have heard, the most direct way to get into Reconnaissance.. the 7.5 thousand dollar bonus upon completion of BRC doesn't hurt either!

Capital M
11-19-09, 10:20 AM
Also better have a perfect PFT if you even want to think about Recon. Stay motivated!

This.

UZ contracts are rare. And kids with a high PFT are given priority. Right now you don't even meet the requirements for 0321; You have a 3rd class PFT. My recruiter's exact words:

Don't take this the wrong way but until you have that your recruiter probably isn't going to try very hard because he knows that you probably won't make it through RIP

Stay motivated. Get those crunches to 100, get those pull ups near 20. And bug the **** out of your recruiter for it everyday and contract may find its way into your hands.

Good luck man

Jensen139
11-21-09, 10:34 PM
Why do you want to be a recon Marine? When did you enlist into the DEP?

joshpike4
11-22-09, 06:38 PM
I have been in the DEP for about 5 months now. My PFT stats have been steadily improving. I dont necessarily want to be a recon marine I just want to understand all the options and ways to go with the 03xx MOS.

MarinesFTW
11-22-09, 08:22 PM
Yeah, like everyone else said, you have to be doing over a 175 PFT, you better get to work on that. If I was a recruiter, I would make you work and earn that contract, not just give it away where someone more qualified could use it. No offense or anything.