PDA

View Full Version : Going 2 USMC BC with Shermans Kyphosis.

Kyle42293
11-18-09, 09:13 PM
Hey, my friend wants to know, if he would be eligible to go to USMC BC with Shermans Kyphosis Disease, basically all it is is a curvature in the spine. He said it doesn't hurt much and still has good flexibility in his back and joints. when he bends over though to stretch his legs out or something though he looks like a hunch back, so he wants me to ask if he could even go to BC with the disease or if the recruiters wouldn't let him.

-Kyle

SGT7477
11-18-09, 09:38 PM
Hey, my friend wants to know, if he would be eligible to go to USMC BC with Shermans Kyphosis Disease, basically all it is is a curvature in the spine. He said it doesn't hurt much and still has good flexibility in his back and joints. when he bends over though to stretch his legs out or something though he looks like a hunch back, so he wants me to ask if he could even go to BC with the disease or if the recruiters wouldn't let him.

-Kyle
Who is hey?:evilgrin:

dizark
11-18-09, 09:39 PM
That's up to the doctors at MEPS, but be warned, some of the Marines on here will rag on you about making your friend come here and ask his own questions.

Phantom Blooper
11-18-09, 09:52 PM
According to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Scheuermann's disease most commonly occurs in the thoracic vertebrae (upper back), but it may also occur in the lumbar vertebrae (lower back). Any pain associated with the condition typically occurs at the central point of the spinal curvature. This pain may be worsened by physical activity or by prolonged periods of sitting or standing.

The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below.

The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.

The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver) are an authenticated history of:

Current or history of ankylosing spondylitis or other inflammatory spondylopathies (720) is disqualifying.

Current or history of any condition, including, but not limited to the spine or sacroiliac joints, with or without objective signs that:

(1) Prevents the individual from successfully following a physically active vocation in civilian life (724) or that is associated with local or referred pain to the extremities, muscular spasm, postural deformities, or limitation of motion is disqualifying.

(2) Requires external support is disqualifying.

(3) Requires limitation of physical activity or frequent treatment is disqualifying.

Current deviation or curvature of spine (737) from normal alignment, structure, or function is disqualifying if:

(1) It prevents the individual from following a physically active vocation in civilian life.

(2) It interferes with the proper wearing of a uniform or military equipment.

(3) It is symptomatic.

(4) There is lumbar scoliosis greater than 20 degrees, thoracic scoliosis greater than 30 degrees, or kyphosis and lordosis greater than 55 degrees when measured by the Cobb method. d. History of congenital fusion (756.15), involving more than two vertebral bodies is disqualifying. Any surgical fusion of spinal vertebrae (P81.0) is disqualifying.

Current or history of fractures or dislocation of the vertebrae (805) is disqualifying. A compression fracture, involving less than 25 percent of a single vertebra is not disqualifying if the injury occurred more than 1 year before examination and the applicant is asymptomatic. A history of fractures of the transverse or spinous processes is not disqualifying if the applicant is asymptomatic.

History of juvenile epiphysitis (732.6) with any degree of residual change indicated by x-ray or kyphosis is disqualifying.

Current herniated nucleus pulposus (722) or history of surgery to correct this condition is disqualifying.

Current or history of spina bifida (741) when symptomatic, if there is more than one vertebra level involved or with dimpling of the overlying skin is disqualifying. History of surgical repair of spina bifida is disqualifying.

Current or history of spondylolysis (congenital (756.11) or acquired (738.4)) and spondylolisthesis (congenital (756.12) or acquired (738.4)) are disqualifying.

Derived from Department of Defense (DOD) Directive 6130.3, "Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, and Induction," and DOD Instruction 6130.4, "Criteria and Procedure Requirements for Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Armed Forces."

Lisa 23
11-18-09, 09:59 PM

-Kyle

Hey, you should tell your friend that if he wants to ask questions, he should ask them himself, not have someone do it for him.

Kyle42293
11-20-09, 12:12 AM
thanks for the help phantom and dizark , hes in the clear his is 15 degree.. i woulda told him to post it, but, he does not have internet; i'll make sure that I don't post anything else for him or anyone else. sorry.

-Kyle

TazMatt
11-20-09, 08:50 AM
Kyle it is o.k. to post something for your friend if he doesn't have internet or even if he does. You will find the forum police always looking to bust some ones chops about nothing.WMarine is a fine forum police. She will keep you straight. HAHa

Lisa 23
11-20-09, 09:15 AM
Without making a big deal out of this........I was just trying to let the young man know that his friend should be asking the questions, not him. This friend who wants to know everything, can either use his friends computer who's asking the questions now, or he can go to a local library, if they have computers, and use the computers there. Been there and done that myself when my old computer was being reformated and had to wait for it to get done, and then I eventually had to get a new one.
About 3 pages back, someone else asked questions for their brother, and the thread was removed.
Not being a smart a$$ about it, but just thought I'd let you know.

SGT7477
11-20-09, 09:32 AM
Without making a big deal out of this........I was just trying to let the young man know that his friend should be asking the questions, not him. This friend who wants to know everything, can either use his friends computer who's asking the questions now, or he can go to a local library, if they have computers, and use the computers there. Been there and done that myself when my old computer was being reformated and had to wait for it to get done, and then I eventually had to get a new one.
About 3 pages back, someone else asked questions for their brother, and the thread was removed.
Not being a smart a$$ about it, but just thought I'd let you know.
Good job Marine, keep them in line, Semper FI.:flag:

Hotel4341
11-20-09, 11:11 AM
Kyle it is o.k. to post something for your friend if he doesn't have internet or even if he does. You will find the forum police always looking to bust some ones chops about nothing.WMarine is a fine forum police. She will keep you straight. HAHa

She's just making sure the question gets answered and not deleted. A good Marine will take care of everyone around them, even if it seems harsh at the time.

Phantom Blooper
11-20-09, 12:27 PM
something though he looks like a hunch back,

hes in the clear his is 15 degree

He is not technically in the clear until he is approved by a MEPS doctor.....regardless of MOS a Marine will be carrying allot of weight in a pack and allot of other gear resting on the shoulders and putting pressure on the spine.

A doctor would have to determine the outcome.

Also with bones like this a bone density test may be requested to see if at a later age Quasimodo may have an onset of osteoporosis.

It would be a matter of liability.

Good luck to him!

:evilgrin:

GSEMarine94
11-20-09, 01:51 PM
He is not technically in the clear until he is approved by a MEPS doctor.....regardless of MOS a Marine will be carrying allot of weight in a pack and allot of other gear resting on the shoulders and putting pressure on the spine.

A doctor would have to determine the outcome.

Also with bones like this a bone density test may be requested to see if at a later age Quasimodo may have an onset of osteoporosis.

It would be a matter of liability.

Good luck to him!

:evilgrin:

Damn Bloop I almost spit my drink all over my laptop with that one. :D