PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else excited/nervous?

joshpike4
11-17-09, 01:44 AM
I am shipping out in January and am so excited. All I think about every single day is becoming a Marine. I have been in the DEP for over six months now and I am finally closing in on my ship date. I just wanted to share my excitement with other people and to see how you guys are all preparing. I can't wait to be part of something thats bigger than myself. I feel the butterflies in my stomach like before a big football game(athletes you know what I am talking about). But this is like a million times stronger than that. If anyone is shipping to San Diego the same day as me message me. 20100125

xxGirl19xx
11-17-09, 02:52 AM
Wow, I know exactly what you mean. I have been in the DEP for three and a half months now and I ship out on December 1st. Imagine how the butterflies will feel when you have less than a week left! I wish you the best of luck and stay moto throughout bootcamp!
:)

JenLat
11-17-09, 03:08 AM
I'm right there with you guys. I've wanted to earn the Title since I was in junior high. I got sidetracked by college, but now I'm finally going to fulfill a life goal of mine.

Ship date 14 DEC 09! Cannot wait!

Capital M
11-17-09, 06:46 AM
I got sidetracked by college, but now I'm finally going to fulfill a life goal of mine.

You and me both.:thumbup:

sparkie
11-17-09, 07:20 AM
Try this,,,,,,,,:evilgrin:

http://www.funtoosh.com/pictures/images/panic.jpg

dds0113
11-17-09, 09:02 AM
Pretty sure I've already messaged you prior to this, memory is failing at the moment.

Capital M
11-17-09, 09:48 AM
Try this,,,,,,,,:evilgrin:

http://www.funtoosh.com/pictures/images/panic.jpg

Sgt, I think your book advice is more practical, it gets the point across in a more "physical" way... and relieves tension better;)

Take a nice thick book on the bus.. Not for reading,,,,,to smack yourself on the head while saying " Why did I do this?",,,,"Why did I do this?"

derikdrock1989
11-17-09, 11:28 AM
I know exactly how you feel, I been in the DEP since May and I leave on Jan 4th. Its right around the corner.

GDean
11-17-09, 02:05 PM
im right there with all of you. I enlisted may 20th or somethin, and i leave Dec. 1. only 12 days left!!! this has been a dream of mine for my whole life. I recently found a picture of myself at around 8 years old with cammies on and a U.S. Marines patch over the left pocket. For all of you that still have a month ago.. hang in there. The waiting only gets harder as you get closer.

sparkie
11-17-09, 08:16 PM
Look,,,,,, It's like this,,,, Once you hit the prints you'll barely have time to squat or breathe. It's outta your hands so for now, get over it. Best advice ever on these threads is "Enjoy your Family". You are about to get a new one.

I, for one, shall look forward to calling you all Brothers, and Sisters. Semper Fi,,,and enjoy the ride.

Sparkie Out.

Endurance89
11-17-09, 08:31 PM
Look,,,,,, It's like this,,,, Once you hit the prints you'll barely have time to squat or breathe. It's outta your hands so for now, get over it. Best advice ever on these threads is "Enjoy your Family". You are about to get a new one.

I, for one, shall look forward to calling you all Brothers, and Sisters. Semper Fi,,,and enjoy the ride.

Sparkie Out.

I look forward to that day, Sergeant.

danno
11-17-09, 11:52 PM
I think I am more prepared for Boot Camp now than ever. I've been doing cardio almost every day and lifting weights as well. I'm not as nervous as I am excited to finally get there and earn the title.

joshpike4
11-18-09, 12:10 AM
The thing I am most worried about is the transition period. The first two weeks are going to be like a shock and awe period where you think you understand what is going to happen but it is 100 times worse. That is where I think I will have most of my trouble. And of course all of the mental games throughout. People call me crazy for wanting an environment like that but I know who I am and I understand that for me personally I need the discipline and order to make me a better person. Oh well. I am just plain excited to do something with my life.

SabreJack
11-18-09, 06:02 AM
I got sidetracked by college...

+2

HAHAHAHAHA...sidetracked by college...yeah heaven forbid college be a good thing.

Mulls
11-18-09, 04:37 PM
i know what they mean when they say sidetracked by college - i told my parents i was joining, they said do a year of college and then decide again. i did it, had fun, made mad friends, got a good GPA and 41 credits for my PFC promotion, and now there's nothing my parents can say. on one hand it felt like a waste of time, on the other hand, i know i tried it, i made friends out of it, and got my promotion from it. i don't leave til June, and i'm ****ed off about that, but my MOS prevents me from being able to switch to any other date. when the recruiter asked me to pick jobs, i said i honestly don't care that much, i'm just joining to be a Marine. as a result, i got a really sweet MOS but due to it being sweet i got a shipdate that requires a time machine to get to and i have to work 50 hours a week as a personal trainer for 6 months before i can go.

dds0113
11-18-09, 05:31 PM
At least you realized fairly early. I didn't realize I wanted to join until about 2-3 years of college. Made myself finish since I already committed so much time and money.

Mulls
11-18-09, 05:53 PM
Yup. Still, college being what it is, i already had spent about 19 thousand dollars of my own money - woulda been nice to have those extra gs in the bank.

trmptplyr
11-18-09, 07:10 PM
...yeah heaven forbid college be a good thing.

lol Well, I for one am glad I made the decision to stick with it and earn my degree.

joshpike4
11-19-09, 04:28 AM
what about ocs for you recruits that have a degree?

TheRichmondKid
11-19-09, 06:09 AM
You've got butterflies already and you don't ship till the end of Jan? I'd hate to see you the night before you leave :D

dds0113
11-19-09, 08:46 AM
what about ocs for you recruits that have a degree?

I personally would rather go enlisted than officer. It's nice to have though for later job opportunities. If I don't do the Marine Corps as a career I will most likely apply to some three letter agencies.

Capital M
11-19-09, 10:33 AM
Got a Bachelor's in Economics as of 1 month from now. <br />
<br />
Officer path just wasn't right for me at this time. I wanted to spend more time doing and less time planning, doing paper work, etc, that all...

TheRichmondKid
11-19-09, 06:57 PM
I hear that, being an Officer isn't what I joined the Corps for. I want to be a fightin' man. :flag:

Capital M
11-19-09, 08:28 PM
I hear that, being an Officer isn't what I joined the Corps for. I want to be a fightin' man. :flag:

I don't think you got what I was saying.

All Marines, Officers included, are fighting men and women. They are Marines, that's their job.

If you were taking it more literal, well then tell all of the infantry/combat oriented Officers out there that they aren't fighting men.

I appreciate the moto, I really do, but go back and re-read my post. There was a lot more to it than you thought

Vazquez90
11-19-09, 09:44 PM
I hear you Capital M,

thought about going the officer route, but in reality i don't know anything about the Marines life and how things are run. I'd rather go enlisted, become familiar with the scene,see what it takes to lead and then decide. Seeing leadership from the enlisted point of view would also be a great benefit, since you know how it feels to be ordered to do things.

TheRichmondKid
11-19-09, 10:01 PM
I don't think you got what I was saying.

All Marines, Officers included, are fighting men and women. They are Marines, that's their job.

If you were taking it more literal, well then tell all of the infantry/combat oriented Officers out there that they aren't fighting men.

I appreciate the moto, I really do, but go back and re-read my post. There was a lot more to it than you thought

What I meant was Infantry Officer positions don't interest me, I chose to roll enlisted because I wanted to be a grunt. Nothing against Officers, it just wasn't for me.

Capital M
11-19-09, 10:54 PM
I hear you Capital M,

thought about going the officer route, but in reality i don't know anything about the Marines life and how things are run. I'd rather go enlisted, become familiar with the scene,see what it takes to lead and then decide. Seeing leadership from the enlisted point of view would also be a great benefit, since you know how it feels to be ordered to do things.

Amen
My end game is becoming an Officer. When I feel I'm ready to do well as a Company grade Officer, I'll start the applications. Whether that's after my first deployment, or 4 years active, all depends on a lot of things. Meanwhile, picking up the experience of working up from the very bottom can't hurt.

Richmond- I get what you mean, I'd just watch implying infantry Officers aren't grunts. If you read One Bullet Away or Joker One, you see it's actually quite the opposite. They put up with all the "grunt life" their Marines put up with on top of the responsibilities they have as an Officer. But, I understand what youre trying to say:flag:

USMC Sokol
11-21-09, 11:28 PM
At first I could definitely wait until I graduated to go. I remember hearing people say how anxious and impatient they were to go. Some would have their ship dates moved back and they'd be ****ed. I thought they were crazy for being eager to go to recruit training. But now...I can not wait to ship out. I love the Marine Corps!

Graham H
11-28-09, 08:23 PM
+2

HAHAHAHAHA...sidetracked by college...yeah heaven forbid college be a good thing.

Yea i feel ya their and i have the same ship date too

MarinesFTW
11-28-09, 11:20 PM
Does losing sleep for over 2 years not being able to stop thinking about it count? Or do I just have a problem :(

Iammarshall
11-28-09, 11:27 PM
I think I am more prepared for Boot Camp now than ever. I've been doing cardio almost every day and lifting weights as well. I'm not as nervous as I am excited to finally get there and earn the title.

lifting weights will do nothing for boot camp... i just graduated, and all you need to do is mentally prepare yourself, they'll handle the physical part...

Andrew09
12-02-09, 12:50 PM
You and me both.:thumbup:

I'm right there with you guys. Went to a nice university but just couldnt focus because I wanted to be a Marine so bad. I justified it by saying I would go in as an officer after I graduated, but I finally just said screw it.. I'm going in now. While I'm only going to be active reserve, having the title and drilling with my unit will be enough for me until I graduate college and go AD.

:beer:

dds0113
12-02-09, 01:48 PM
lifting weights will do nothing for boot camp... i just graduated, and all you need to do is mentally prepare yourself, they'll handle the physical part...

Lifting weights does in fact prepare you. Stronger more conditioned muscles means less chance of injury. I'm not saying get Arnold-bulky, but some strength training alongside endurance training isn't a bad idea.

FutureDevilDog1
12-03-09, 10:16 AM
i would like my ist to be at least:
flex arm hang: 90 seconds
1 1/2: under 13 min
crunches: 100 would be good

derikdrock1989
12-03-09, 10:48 AM
Today is officially the 30 day mark until i leave for meps. Im getting stoked.

Endurance89
12-03-09, 05:34 PM
...I have the same ship date as you, and I am wondering how you came up with 30 days. :D

SD or PI?