PDA

View Full Version : Beirut,Lebanon Stamp Initiative

thedrifter
08-19-03, 08:19 AM
This was sent to me by Phantom Blooper.......

Thanks

Sempers,

Roger

August 18,2003

1201 Willow Spring Drive W.

Richland’s, NC 28574-8203

Mr. Tucker Carlson

C/O Reader’s Digest

Box 100

Pleasantville, NY 10572-0100

Sir;

I am sending you this letter, because you have a monthly column in the Reader’s Digest magazine, entitled “That’s Outrageous” hopefully you will find what I am about to pen to be outrageous, also. First if you will, I would like to take you back a little into American History.

On Sunday, October 23,1983 at approximately 6:20 a.m. 241 Marines, sailors and soldiers were killed, and hundreds of other were wounded or disabled. This was the result of a suicide truck, laden with over 12,000 pounds of explosives that detonated in the BLT 1/8 headquarters barracks in Beirut, Lebanon. Other servicemen from 1982-1984 perished from sniper fire, and other atrocities. Others died years later or are permantly disabled as the result of their wounds. This makes a total of 270 Marines, sailors and soldiers that died during a peacekeeping mission.

On Tuesday, September 11th 2001 the Pentagon, World Trade Center and Flight 93 outside of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania was attacked by terrorists. Thousands were killed or wounded. Less than one year after the attacks the United States Postal Service unveiled and issued a postage stamp to commemorate these horrendous acts. A ceremony will be held each year, on those sites, to the end of creation to honor all who fell on that fateful day. To this I say to you and to America that this is fitting and proper.

On Thursday, October 23,2003 the 20th memorial service will be held in various states across this country to honor husbands, fathers, sons, brothers, uncles, friends and fallen comrades.

However after almost twenty years, a postage stamp has not been issued to commemorate the attack on the Marine compound, peacekeeping mission or any of the lives lost at the hands of terrorists in Beirut, Lebanon 1982-1984.

In 1993 over 20,000 signatures from families, citizens and comrades in favor of a stamp to honor our nations heroes that fell on foreign soil were collected in a petition that were then taken to Washington, DC on September 14th 1993 to the United States Postmaster General and the Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee. This committee is comprised of 15 people who meet quarterly in Washington, DC and make proposals on various stamp stamps and designs to the PMG. This committee is made up of actors, artists, grahic designers, historians, professors, corporate businessmen and a sports commentator, not an ‘Everyday Citizen’ in the midst. After the recommendation of the committee the PMG has the last word on which stamps to approve and disapprove. The group of people requesting the proposed stamp in 1993 met with the secretary to the PMG, and the chairman of the CSAC. Some of the comments made at that time for denying the request were “We try to honor positive things.” “People want pretty non-controversial stamps.” “Beirut lacked significance in American history and not enough people were killed.” These comments are simply inaccurate, untrue and outrageous! Were the tragic events of September 11th, 2001 a positive thing?

In the Gulf War,391 Americans died from their duties stemming from that war. A stamp was issued for the first Gulf War heroes before they even left that war arena. A spokeswoman for the USPS in 1993 said, “I don’t think you can compare the Gulf War with the Beirut, Lebanon campaign.” Sir, when the men and woman warriors went to liberate Kuwait in 1990-1991 they new clearly that there mission was to go to war. In 1982 when President Ronald W. Reagan committed the United States into a multinational force agreement in Beirut, Lebanon the mission was clearly a “ Peacekeeping Mission.” On a historical note, the lives lost on October 23,1983 were the most USMC casualties lost in a single day since D- Day June 6th 1944 in Normandy.There are many dictionary definitions for war and peacekeeping. We could compare apples and oranges and different wars, conflicts and campaigns to the end of time. However, all blood is red. And one American life lost on foreign or domestic soil is one life too many. I believe that all American military actions should be honored. What is, fair is fair.

I begrudge no one that has a stamp issued honoring a specific event in history, an individual or event of this great land. I also do not begrudge actors, actresses, insects, birds, racehorses, rock stars, musicians, cartoon characters the list could be endless their moment of fame. However if the USPS, CSAC and the PMG believes that all of the previous stamps issued in the past are worthy of a postage stamp being issued commemorating their fame or event then I along with thousands of others feel that a postage stamp depicting a peacekeeping mission to honor 270 American lives lost on foreign soil are worthy of being honored.

On a positive note, I met with Congressman Walter B. Jones Jr. R-NC 3rd District at his capitol office on January 9th 2003. As a result, legislation was introduced January 31st 2003 H. Res. 45 expressing the sense of Congress that a postage stamp should be issued in remembrance of the victims of the peacekeeping mission in Beirut, Lebanon 1982-1984. On a downside to this resolution there must be 50 signatures of co-sponsors in the House of Representatives to formally bring this before the house floor, as of this writing there have only been 35 signatures. Although I feel that Congressman Jones is doing a fine job to champion this cause in Washington, DC an act of congress should not be necessary to honor Americas 270 fallen heroes from 36 of her states. As the legislative process in Washington works, with competing agendas, viewpoints and interests, grandiose speech making, logrolling and compromise. The families of the fallen are still without a postage stamp. A spokeswoman for Congressman Jones office said, “That stamps have been approved for 2004 and 2005, so the soonest a stamp could be approved would be 2006”This again is outrageous!

There are many that have plead and defended this initiative over the years. I have been actively involved with this campaign since October 2002. I have penned many letters to our current and former leaders of our fine country. It seems that most have fell on deaf ears. The last letter that I wrote was to former President George H.W. Bush on June 24th 2003 expressing my desire for his help on this matter. I have received no response to my letter as of this writing from his staff or from him. President George H.W. Bush was President Reagan’s direct representative from Washington, DC in Beirut, Lebanon on October 25th 1983. He witnessed the carnage and devastation first hand. A widespread letter writing campaign to the CSAC was launched in early 2003 to have letters in Washington, DC by the end of April for the CSAC meeting. An active online petition is on the Internet http://www.PetitionOnline.com/10231983/petition.html. As of this date 4,354 signatures have been collected. That is at least 4,354 American people in addition to the 20,000 that would like to have a stamp issued for this catastrophic event.

A special cancellation stamp has been approved to be placed on envelopes and postcards at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina only for one day, which is October 23rd 2003. This cancellation stamp falls short of the commemorative postage stamp that has been requested for so many years. This is a nice jester, but it is also a slap in the face, to the families and comrades that have been requesting this stamp for so many years. Anyone or any town can request a cancellation stamp from the USPS for any local or state event, given ample time to cast the die. The PMG and the CSAC is looking into issuing a blanket stamp to cover all terrorist acts against the United States, foreign and domestic. The reason given was that they do want to “single out a specific terrorist event.” The USPS is simply inaccurate in their statement, as duly noted with the issuance of the 911 commemorative postage stamp issued one week prior to the first anniversary of the tragedy.

As our country is at war in the Middle East and on our own soil, against terrorism, may I say and that Americas first lesson in modern day terrorism,”War on Terror” started back in 1982-1984. Also that our leaders are doing a splendid job of ridding the world of tyrants and terrorist threats, notably so, because of the experience gained and the blood shed in Beirut, Lebanon 1982-1984.

October 27th, 1983 President Ronald W. Reagan broadcast a speech to the American people about the BLT 1/8 24th MAU headquarters barracks bombing. Here is a quote from his speech seconds his closing; “ They were not afraid to stand up for their country or, no matter how difficult and slow the journey might be, to give to others that last, best hope of a better future. We cannot and will not dishonor them now and the sacrifices they’ve made by failing to remain as faithful to the cause of freedom and the pursuit of peace as they have been.”

As in the 19 years past Goldstar Mothers, wives, sons, daughters, fathers, family members, friends and comrades will make that trek to Camp Lejeune, NC to the “Other Wall” the Beirut Memorial, to bereave and honor their fallen family member and comrades, twenty years after that act of cowardice. It would be fitting to have a stamp issued honoring our fallen heroes that gave all so that you, the American people and I can remain free today.

Sir, I beseech you to look into this matter and publish a story in your column as soon as you see fit. Semper-Fi!! “Never Forget”

Charles G. Hall

SSGT/Retired USMC/0369

thedrifter
08-20-03, 07:12 AM
August 19,2003

Colonel David H. Hackworth

Soldiers For The Truth

P. O. Box 54365

Irvine, California 92619-4365

Sir;

I am sending you this letter, because you have a weekly column in newspapers across the country and a column on your DefenseWatch website. I know that you deal mostly with current events in your columns but if you continue to read my letter you will find that this is a current event times twenty years. If you will, I would like to take you back a little into American and military history.

On Sunday, October 23,1983 at approximately 6:20 a.m. 241 Marines, sailors and soldiers were killed, and hundreds of other were wounded or disabled. This was the result of a suicide truck, laden with over 12,000 pounds of explosives that detonated in the BLT 1/8 headquarters barracks in Beirut, Lebanon. Other servicemen from 1982-1984 perished from sniper fire, and other atrocities. Others died years later or are permantly disabled as the result of their wounds. This makes a total of 270 Marines, sailors and soldiers that died during a peacekeeping mission.

On Tuesday, September 11th 2001 the Pentagon, World Trade Center and Flight 93 outside of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania was attacked by terrorists. Thousands were killed or wounded. Less than one year after the attacks the United States Postal Service unveiled and issued a postage stamp to commemorate these horrendous acts. A ceremony will be held each year, on those sites, to the end of creation to honor all who fell on that fateful day. To this I say to you and to America that this is fitting and proper.

On Thursday, October 23,2003 the 20th memorial service will be held in various states across this country to honor husbands, fathers, sons, brothers, uncles, friends and fallen comrades.

However after almost twenty years, a postage stamp has not been issued to commemorate the attack on the Marine compound, peacekeeping mission or any of the lives lost at the hands of terrorists in Beirut, Lebanon 1982-1984.

In 1993 over 20,000 signatures from families, citizens and comrades in favor of a stamp to honor our nations heroes that fell on foreign soil were collected in a petition that were then taken to Washington, DC on September 14th 1993 to the United States Postmaster General and the Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee. This committee is comprised of 15 people who meet quarterly in Washington, DC and make proposals on various stamp stamps and designs to the PMG. This committee is made up of actors, artists, grahic designers, historians, professors, corporate businessmen and a sports commentator, not an ‘Everyday Citizen’ in the midst. After the recommendation of the committee the PMG has the last word on which stamps to approve and disapprove. The group of people requesting the proposed stamp in 1993 met with the secretary to the PMG, and the chairman of the CSAC. Some of the comments made at that time for denying the request were “We try to honor positive things.” “People want pretty non-controversial stamps.” “Beirut lacked significance in American history and not enough people were killed.” These comments are simply inaccurate and untrue. Were the tragic events of September 11th, 2001 a positive thing?

In the Gulf War,391 Americans died from their duties stemming from that war. A stamp was issued for the first Gulf War heroes before they even left that war arena. A spokeswoman for the USPS in 1993 said, “I don’t think you can compare the Gulf War with the Beirut, Lebanon campaign.” Sir, when the men and woman warriors went to liberate Kuwait in 1990-1991 they new clearly that there mission was to go to war. In 1982 when President Ronald W. Reagan committed the United States into a multinational force agreement in Beirut, Lebanon the mission was clearly a “ Peacekeeping Mission.” On a historical note, the lives lost on October 23,1983 were the most USMC casualties lost in a single day since D- Day June 6th 1944 in Normandy.There are many dictionary definitions for war and peacekeeping. We could compare apples and oranges and different wars, conflicts and campaigns to the end of time. However, all blood is red. And one American life lost on foreign or domestic soil is one life too many. I believe that all American military actions should be honored. What is, fair is fair.

I begrudge no one that has a stamp issued honoring a specific event in history, an individual or event of this great land. I also do not begrudge actors, actresses, insects, birds, racehorses, rock stars, musicians, cartoon characters the list could be endless their moment of fame. However if the USPS, CSAC and the PMG believes that all of the previous stamps issued in the past are worthy of a postage stamp being issued commemorating their fame or event then I along with thousands of others feel that a postage stamp depicting a peacekeeping mission to honor 270 American lives lost on foreign soil are worthy of being honored.

On a positive note, I met with Congressman Walter B. Jones Jr. R-NC 3rd District at his capitol office on January 9th 2003. As a result, legislation was introduced January 31st 2003 H. Res. 45 expressing the sense of Congress that a postage stamp should be issued in remembrance of the victims of the peacekeeping mission in Beirut, Lebanon 1982-1984. On a downside to this resolution there must be 50 signatures of co-sponsors in the House of Representatives to formally bring this before the house floor, as of this writing there have only been 35 signatures. Although I feel that Congressman Jones is doing a fine job to champion this cause in Washington, DC an act of congress should not be necessary to honor Americas 270 fallen heroes from 36 of her states. As the legislative process in Washington works, with competing agendas, viewpoints and interests, grandiose speech making, logrolling and compromise. The families of the fallen are still without a postage stamp. A spokeswoman for Congressman Jones office said, “That stamps have been approved for 2004 and 2005, so the soonest a stamp could be approved would be 2006.” The USPS is in itself a different entity in Washington DC. It is an independent agency of the government .I honestly believes they make up new rules as they go along, to fit their agendas. I guess this means it has nothing to do with what our forefathers spoke of when they spoke of when they wrote “For the people and by the people.” If stamps are already approved for 2004-2005 then what is the purpose of the CSAC meeting in Washington, DC. quarterly? For years there has been scuttlebutt about privatizing the USPS. It has already done that for itself. It should not be listed in the directory as an independent agency it should be listed, as a private agency in it’s own right.

continued.........

thedrifter
08-20-03, 07:13 AM
There are many that have plead and defended this initiative over the years. I have been actively involved with this campaign since October 2002. I have penned many letters to our current and former leaders of our fine country. It seems that most have fell on deaf ears. The last letter that I wrote was to former President George H.W. Bush on June 24th 2003 expressing my desire for his help on this matter. I have received no response to my letter as of this writing from his staff or from him. President George H.W. Bush was President Reagan’s direct representative from Washington, DC in Beirut, Lebanon on October 25th 1983. He witnessed the carnage and devastation first hand. A widespread letter writing campaign to the CSAC was launched in early 2003 to have letters in Washington, DC by the end of April for the CSAC meeting. An active online petition is on the Internet http://www.PetitionOnline.com/10231983/petition.html. As of this date 4,354 signatures have been collected. That is at least 4,354 American people in addition to the 20,000 that would like to have a stamp issued for this catastrophic event.

A special cancellation stamp has been approved to be placed on envelopes and postcards at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina only for one day, which is October 23rd 2003. This cancellation stamp falls short of the commemorative postage stamp that has been requested for so many years. This is a nice jester, but it is also a slap in the face, to the families and comrades that have been requesting this stamp for so many years. Anyone or any town can request a cancellation stamp from the USPS for any local or state event, given ample time to cast the die. The PMG and the CSAC is looking into issuing a blanket stamp to cover all terrorist acts against the United States, foreign and domestic. The reason given was that they do want to “single out a specific terrorist event.” The USPS is simply inaccurate in their statement, as duly noted with the issuance of the 911 commemorative postage stamp issued one week prior to the first anniversary of the tragedy.

As our country is at war in the Middle East and on our own soil, against terrorism, may I say and that Americas first lesson in modern day terrorism,”War on Terror” started back in 1982-1984. Also that our leaders are doing a splendid job of ridding the world of tyrants and terrorist threats, notably so, because of the experience gained and the blood shed in Beirut, Lebanon 1982-1984.

October 27th, 1983 President Ronald W. Reagan broadcast a speech to the American people about the BLT 1/8 24th MAU headquarters barracks bombing. Here is a quote from his speech seconds before his closing; “ They were not afraid to stand up for their country or, no matter how difficult and slow the journey might be, to give to others that last, best hope of a better future. We cannot and will not dishonor them now and the sacrifices they’ve made by failing to remain as faithful to the cause of freedom and the pursuit of peace as they have been.”

As in the 19 years past Goldstar Mothers, wives, sons, daughters, fathers, family members, friends and comrades will make that trek to Camp Lejeune, NC to the “Other Wall” the Beirut Memorial, to bereave and honor their fallen family member and comrades, twenty years after that act of cowardice. It would be fitting to have a stamp issued honoring our fallen heroes that gave all so that you, the American people and I can remain free today.

As the speeches are done for this year and the last note of Taps echoes through the forests of Camp Lejeune, NC it would be a superb act of patriotism to honor our nations fallen heroes and their families left behind with a commemorative postage stamp. Sir, I beseech you to make space in your weekly column to tell America of her fallen sons plight. Semper-Fi!! “Never Forget”

Charles G. Hall

SSGT/Retired USMC/0369

"Give me what I want ,and I'll leave you alone"

Stephen King , main character I seen recently entitled Storm of the Century

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Phantom Blooper
08-21-03, 10:26 AM
"Why do you continue?" I say to you I continue because of those 270 names on that "Other Wall" When I go to the memorial service in Jacksonville,NC and go up to that wall,I know in my heart that I did all that I could. It took me up to five years ago to face those names,even though I drived past it daily. That is my reason. Semper-Fi! Chuck Hall:marine:

thedrifter
08-22-03, 07:30 AM
Chuck you are a inspiration to others.......

Sempers,

Roger

August 21,2003

To whom it may concern,

I am sending you this letter, because you have columns in newspapers across the country and daily news programs and weekly primetime shows. Your newspapers and networks covered this tragedy nearly twenty years ago. Given the events going on in the world and the country today I feel that it is relevant and news worthy. If you will, I would like to take you back a little into American and military history.

In 1993 over 20,000 signatures from families, citizens and comrades in favor of a stamp to honor our nations heroes that fell on foreign soil were collected in a petition that was then taken to Washington, DC on September 14th 1993 to the United States Postmaster General and the Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee. This committee is comprised of 15 people who meet quarterly in Washington, DC and make proposals on various stamp stamps and designs to the PMG. This committee is made up of actors, artists, grahic designers, historians, professors, corporate businessmen and a sports commentator, not an ‘Everyday Citizen’ in the midst. After the recommendation of the committee the PMG has the last word on which stamps to approve and disapprove. The group of people requesting the proposed stamp in 1993 met with the secretary to the PMG, and the chairman of the CSAC. Some of the comments made at that time for denying the request were “We try to honor positive things.” “People want pretty non-controversial stamps.” “Beirut lacked significance in American history and not enough people were killed.” These comments are simply inaccurate and untrue. Were the tragic events of September 11th, 2001 a positive thing?

In the Gulf War,391 Americans died from their duties stemming from that war. A stamp was issued for the first Gulf War heroes before they even left that war arena. A spokeswoman for the USPS in 1993 said, “I don’t think you can compare the Gulf War with the Beirut, Lebanon campaign.” When the men and woman warriors went to liberate Kuwait in 1990-1991 they new clearly that there mission was to go to war. In 1982 when President Ronald W. Reagan committed the United States into a multinational force agreement in Beirut, Lebanon the mission was clearly a “ Peacekeeping Mission.” On a historical note, the lives lost on October 23,1983 were the most USMC casualties lost in a single day since D- Day June 6th 1944 in Normandy.There are many dictionary definitions for war and peacekeeping. We could compare apples and oranges and different wars, conflicts and campaigns to the end of time. However, all blood is red. And one American life lost on foreign or domestic soil is one life too many. I believe that all American military actions should be honored. There been military battles fought by the United States on foreign land said to have been the “Forgotten War.” With respect to the men that waited 50 years to be recognized for their service in Korea, America does not need a blemish of another “Forgotten War.” What is fair is fair! I begrudge no one that has a stamp issued honoring a specific event in history, an individual or event of this great land. I also do not begrudge actors, actresses, insects, birds, racehorses, rock stars, musicians, cartoon characters the list could be endless their moment of fame. However if the USPS, CSAC and the PMG believes that all of the previous stamps issued in the past are worthy of a postage stamp being issued commemorating their fame or event then I along with thousands of others feel that a postage stamp depicting a peacekeeping mission to honor 270 American lives lost on foreign soil are worthy of being honored.

On a positive note, I met with Congressman Walter B. Jones Jr. R-NC 3rd District at his capitol office on January 9th 2003. As a result, legislation was introduced January 31st 2003 H. Res. 45 expressing the sense of Congress that a postage stamp should be issued in remembrance of the victims of the peacekeeping mission in Beirut, Lebanon 1982-1984. On a downside to this resolution there must be 50 signatures of co-sponsors in the House of Representatives to formally bring this before the house floor, as of this writing there have only been 35 signatures. Although I feel that Congressman Jones is doing a fine job to champion this cause in Washington, DC an act of congress should not be necessary to honor Americas 270 fallen heroes from 36 of her states. When the 249 Marines 18 sailors and 3 soldiers met their demise in that far off land they done so as Americans and military men defending a cause and an action set forth by the United States government without falter or question. And to you I say, the government of the United States in all departments and agencies involved in this process should put aside bias and do the right thing and issue a stamp for the peacekeeping action in Beirut, Lebanon 1982-1984. They did not die as democrats, republicans, independents, left wing, right wing or any affiliation of political parties or groups. They died honorably as American military men doing as directed by the orders of the President of the United States. As the legislative process in Washington works, with competing agendas, viewpoints and interests, grandiose speech making, logrolling and compromise. The families of the fallen are still without a postage stamp. A spokeswoman for Congressman Jones office said, “That stamps have been approved for 2004 and 2005, so the soonest a stamp could be approved would be 2006.” The USPS is in itself a different entity in Washington DC. It is an independent agency of the government .I honestly believes they make up new rules as they go along, to fit their agendas. I guess this means it has nothing to do with what our forefathers spoke of when they spoke of when they wrote “For the people and by the people.” If stamps are already approved for 2004-2005 then what is the purpose of the CSAC meeting in Washington, DC. quarterly? For years there has been scuttlebutt about privatizing the USPS. It has already done that for itself. It should not be listed in the directory as an independent agency it should be listed, as a private agency in it’s own right.

continued....

thedrifter
08-22-03, 07:31 AM

October 27th, 1983 President Ronald W. Reagan broadcast a speech to the American people about the BLT 1/8 24th MAU headquarters barracks bombing. Here is a quote from his speech seconds before his closing; “ They were not afraid to stand up for their country or, no matter how difficult and slow the journey might be, to give to others that last, best hope of a better future. We cannot and will not dishonor them now and the sacrifices they’ve made by failing to remain as faithful to the cause of freedom and the pursuit of peace as they have been.”

As the speeches are done for this year and the last note of Taps echoes through the forests of Camp Lejeune, NC it would be a superb act of patriotism to honor our nations fallen heroes and their families left behind with a commemorative postage stamp. I beseech you to do commemorative story on this twentieth anniversary year to tell America of her fallen sons plight. You may contact me at anytime at (910) 324-1754 or email phantomblooper@earthlink.net Semper-Fi!! “Never Forget”

Charles G. Hall

SSGT USMC

0369 Retired

Phantom Blooper
08-27-03, 08:30 AM
This is another reason why.....Hi,
My name is Amy Battle Taylor. My Dad is 1st Sgt David L Battle who was killed in the bombing. I don't know if you knew my Dad or not, but let me thank you for him and my family. Your letter is extremly moving and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your dedication and consideration. If I can help, please let me know.
Semper FI!

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phantom Blooper
08-31-03, 06:05 AM
After the ground for the "Other Wall" was broke,the memorial was built by donations only. This last post was from a young girl who auctioned off her "Cabbage Patch " doll. During this time frame it was a craze and they were not able to be found in stores for the holidays.If memory serves me correctly she received $1000.00 + which was donated to the fund. How time flies because she is now grown and married. Here is a response from her mother who has also remarried.Thank you for your continued support for the rememberance stamp.

"How quickly people forget such a tragedy!" We, as family members will never forget and are so appreciative to you.

Thanks,

Nita Battle Goldfarb
"Never Forget" Semper-Fi!! Chuck hall