PDA

View Full Version : New IST requirements/minimums

Gerken
11-04-09, 08:19 AM
I was informed yesterday that the minimums on the IST have been bumped up. The new requirements are:
5 Pullups
60 Crunches
13:30 run time, I'm not totally sure that the run time is the same, I'll figure it out later today.
I'm goin up to the twin cities to take my IST for boot camp today, even though I'm not leaving for boot for over 3 weeks, so I'll catch ya all later.

Jensen139
11-04-09, 09:24 AM
Thats good to hear. We hopefully one day will be Marines and should be held to the highest of standards. Personally I would like to see them as 8 pull ups, 60 sit ups, and a run time of 12:30

Ceckert
11-04-09, 10:06 AM
You know as sad as this may sound. There are a few guys in DEP right now that swore in the same day I did and cant still not get the minimum 3 pullups, or get the minimum of 50 crunches. In my opinion its rather sad, and I honestly dont believe that they want to become marines, or even better themselves. One of them actually gained 20 lbs in the 6 months he has been in DEP. I swore in the same day as him and i have lost about 10 to 15 lbs. my pullups went from 3 to 9, and my crunches from 44 to 71. So I guess it just takes hard work.

BruceLee
11-04-09, 11:46 AM
Are you guys serious,wow thats crazy where Im from the run time has to be under 11:30 for males b4 you ****,pull ups are 3 and crunches 60

thekevo
11-04-09, 12:02 PM
You know as sad as this may sound. There are a few guys in DEP right now that swore in the same day I did and cant still not get the minimum 3 pullups, or get the minimum of 50 crunches. In my opinion its rather sad, and I honestly dont believe that they want to become marines, or even better themselves. One of them actually gained 20 lbs in the 6 months he has been in DEP. I swore in the same day as him and i have lost about 10 to 15 lbs. my pullups went from 3 to 9, and my crunches from 44 to 71. So I guess it just takes hard work.

Same here. Some of these dickheads dont do a thing. It's pathetic.

eleventen32
11-04-09, 12:18 PM
You have to remember not everyone that is in the DEP has been athletic their whole life. I'm sure the slackers will change after they hit the yellow foot prints though. :D

Ceckert
11-04-09, 12:27 PM
Well they kinda have to because there is no choice from that point on

eleventen32
11-04-09, 12:37 PM
Actually, you can refuse to train and be dropped.

Ceckert
11-04-09, 12:41 PM
OK well thats not get all technical here. But why would someone waste time going through the enlistment process and then just want to be dropped

Endurance89
11-04-09, 12:50 PM
The new reqs are indeed a great sign.

I think that the upped pullups is a great idea, will definitely motivate poolees to work harder at them---I am motivated :D

eleventen32
11-04-09, 12:57 PM
I'm sure there is a point in boot camp where everybody wants to quit. I guess that's the point where the strong are separated from the weak.

I see you are going to be in boot camp around the same time as me. But I'm going to Parris Island not Hollywood. :marine: Good luck bro!

Capital M
11-04-09, 01:45 PM
You have to remember not everyone that is in the DEP has been athletic their whole life.

It really isn't that difficult to get a couple of pull ups. Even if they haven't been athletic

We had a kid dropped from the DEP because he couldn't do 1 pull up. He was in the DEP for 8 months.

He said he was "football player"

Ceckert
11-04-09, 01:52 PM
It really isn't that difficult to get a couple of pull ups. Even if they haven't been athletic

We had a kid dropped from the DEP because he couldn't do 1 pull up. He was in the DEP for 8 months.

He said he was "football player"

Bruce Lee bench warming football players never count. The individual I am gonna start help PT is the same way, we have been in the DEP for 6 months and cant do a single pull up

P00LEE
11-04-09, 02:06 PM
Bruce Lee bench warming football players never count. The individual I am gonna start help PT is the same way, we have been in the DEP for 6 months and cant do a single pull up

there are a few poolees at my RSS that still cant even get a pull up flailing their legs and kipping. some poolees just dont show up to pt at all. its a shame some people dont take advantage of the opportunity they have in front of them.

Ceckert
11-04-09, 02:42 PM
there are a few poolees at my RSS that still cant even get a pull up flailing their legs and kipping. some poolees just dont show up to pt at all. its a shame some people dont take advantage of the opportunity they have in front of them.

This statement is very true. Our RSS only has pt the 1st Tuesday and Saturday and the 3rd Tuesday of each month and that is to just make sure we are keeping our selves in shape. I myself workout 4 to 5 days each week before i go to work. I get to the gym or park at 5 am and don't leave to shower till 630 am. So i get about 7 and a half hours of pt a week. which is not bad considering i work full time

Gerken
11-04-09, 04:41 PM
OK, I guess that the CO is pushing for it to be the new requirements, but they are still the same old ones as of now. I would love for the new requirements to be upped and I hope that they do, so that all the poolees/recruits would atleast be in mediocre shape when boot camp starts. I just got done with this IST up at MEPS and I was #1 overall throughout the 25 poolees, and I might be able to ship on the 16th, which is definitely sweet.

sbombard15
11-04-09, 06:23 PM
Yea its the same for now but the asvab minimum was raised to 35. I think the asvab min should be 50 or 60 and the ist should be double what it is and if you cant pass each BEFORE you sign up you shouldt be allowed to sign up.

MarinesFTW
11-04-09, 07:45 PM

A kid in my RSS when he enlisted was doing 0 pull ups, he couldn't even bend his arms, did 21 crunches, and ran the 1.5 miles in about 16 mins. 3 months later hes doing 8 pull ups 78 crunches and a 12:30 or so 1.5 mile. Gotta give it to the kid, he's on the right track.

papaditto
11-04-09, 09:15 PM
Are you guys serious,wow thats crazy where Im from the run time has to be under 11:30 for males b4 you ****,pull ups are 3 and crunches 60
You are correct, We Pt under those standards in my RSS.

Capital M
11-04-09, 09:19 PM
Well I just got back from my weekly PT session with my recruiter, he said it's a rumor that's very popular, but hasn't heard anything official yet.

BruceLee
11-04-09, 10:04 PM
One guy at RSS got his ship date moved back because he couldnt do a single pull ups,that guy wants to be in the Marine Corps Band.

papaditto
11-04-09, 10:09 PM
Are you serious? <br />
Couple months back Everybody in my Pool got interviewed by our C/O Major Germano, and we had a poole named Poolee Gower could not do one pull up, our C/O asked him to do a pull up...

BruceLee
11-05-09, 02:41 PM
hahaha thats hilariuos,ay I met Major Germano b4

Mulls
11-06-09, 04:17 PM
Does anyone else agree with me that women should have to do pull ups as well? Pull ups are fantastic for helping you climb over obstacles and are perfectly applicable in warfare, whereas simply hanging there never struck me as that useful. Why is there a general consensus that Women cannot do pull ups? They have quantitatively less muscle, yet their muscle to size ratio remains about the same as any mans. I know girls who can do 10+ pull ups...every girl can, it's not like they're weak or anything...I'd love to see them change things in the future. Girls CAN do pull-ups just fine.

sbombard15
11-06-09, 04:24 PM
They wont be in warfare so it dosent matter. Women are not allowed in combat arms mos's.

Capital M
11-06-09, 04:33 PM
Does anyone else agree with me that women should have to do pull ups as well? Pull ups are fantastic for helping you climb over obstacles and are perfectly applicable in warfare, whereas simply hanging there never struck me as that useful. Why is there a general consensus that Women cannot do pull ups? They have quantitatively less muscle, yet their muscle to size ratio remains about the same as any mans. I know girls who can do 10+ pull ups...every girl can, it's not like they're weak or anything...I'd love to see them change things in the future. Girls CAN do pull-ups just fine.

I can only imagine what the Marines are saying about this

Mulls
11-06-09, 04:35 PM
I mean, if you put it that way, they might as well have no physical standards at all. I'm also of the belief that if a woman can hack it - carry the same weight for the same distance, run as fast, crunch/pull as many times, they should be allowed in combat mos's. It's rare for this to happen, but it does...I'm a personal trainer and my boss is a BEAST - she's run the Ironman 4 times, squats over 300 pounds and throws up over 200 on the bench...pretty damn good if you ask me. I just think if they're going to have physical standards, and they're going to be Marines, they should be encouraged to do pull ups - not simply because they're applicable in wartime, but because making them do flexed arm hangs insinuates that they can't do pull ups.

sbombard15
11-06-09, 07:26 PM
I can only imagine what the Marines are saying about this

Yea seriously.

sbombard15
11-06-09, 07:30 PM
I mean, if you put it that way, they might as well have no physical standards at all. I'm also of the belief that if a woman can hack it - carry the same weight for the same distance, run as fast, crunch/pull as many times, they should be allowed in combat mos's. It's rare for this to happen, but it does...I'm a personal trainer and my boss is a BEAST - she's run the Ironman 4 times, squats over 300 pounds and throws up over 200 on the bench...pretty damn good if you ask me. I just think if they're going to have physical standards, and they're going to be Marines, they should be encouraged to do pull ups - not simply because they're applicable in wartime, but because making them do flexed arm hangs insinuates that they can't do pull ups.

You can write a thesis on the debate of whether women should be allowed on the front lines and some people have but it is not the point of this thread or this forum. So stop.

Capital M
11-06-09, 09:07 PM
You can write a thesis on the debate of whether women should be allowed on the front lines and some people have but it is not the point of this thread or this forum. So stop.

:thumbup:

/thread

OneRadRudeBoy
11-09-09, 10:06 AM
I was informed yesterday that the minimums on the IST have been bumped up. The new requirements are:
5 Pullups
60 Crunches
13:30 run time, I'm not totally sure that the run time is the same, I'll figure it out later today.
I'm goin up to the twin cities to take my IST for boot camp today, even though I'm not leaving for boot for over 3 weeks, so I'll catch ya all later.

Source? This might just be your RSS's requirements.

OneRadRudeBoy
11-09-09, 10:08 AM
Yea its the same for now but the asvab minimum was raised to 35. I think the asvab min should be 50 or 60 and the ist should be double what it is and if you cant pass each BEFORE you sign up you shouldt be allowed to sign up.

No, the way it is allows kids who are dedicated to prove it. Not everybody works out regularly before they DEP, hell, I know I didn't.

Gerken
11-09-09, 10:30 AM
Source? This might just be your RSS's requirements.
You should read my last post it tells ya that its a rumor, and a possibility it will get bumped up to those requirements.

Underoathed
11-09-09, 10:51 AM
I think the requirements should be a lot higher. Obviously some kids that sign up are a little overweight and this drastically hinders your pull ups. But a ton of kids where I am from went from 0 or 1 pull up to 6 or 7 in a few months. I mean thats what the DEP is for. I worked out like crazy before I signed up because I wanted to be in the best shape possible and now I work even harder knowing I have a ship date. PFT of 300 before I get there has always been the goal and I'm happy to say I have it. All it takes is hard work and the determintation to want to be the best Marine possible. I think it's all up to the recruiters how much kids do during PT. Our recruiters want everyone over 5 pull ups, 75 crunches and a run time of 12:30. It doesn't always happen but kids are improving.

joshpike4
11-10-09, 12:39 AM
You guys have to understand that while many Marines would want the standards for the IST to be higher, the Core just can't move them up. The standards are set at a rate to where the average joe could do them and still get into recruit training. If the standards were too high more than half the people would drop out before they even get into training. America is two thirds overweight and one third obese. It is amazing that average joe citizens do PT at all. I personally believe they should be higher but it just doesnt make sense.

Capital M
11-10-09, 12:49 AM
You guys have to understand that while many Marines would want the standards for the IST to be higher, the Core just can't move them up. The standards are set at a rate to where the average joe could do them and still get into recruit training. If the standards were too high more than half the people would drop out before they even get into training. America is two thirds overweight and one third obese. It is amazing that average joe citizens do PT at all. I personally believe they should be higher but it just doesnt make sense.

Please tell me you didn't just refer to USMC as the center of an apple.

joshpike4
11-10-09, 03:26 AM
I am surprised that you have never heard that before.

SirRoundSound
11-13-09, 05:10 AM
I'm getting ready to ship next week out of RS Baltimore, and I was at RS Headquarters the day the Commanding Officer faxed the increased IST minimum to the RS Sub-stations. I suppose it differs these days from RS-to-RS, or perhaps even district-to-district, but RS Baltimore's IST minimums are as follows:

Pullups: 4
Crunches: 55
One-and-a-half mile run: 13 minutes.

My seven pullups suddenly seem less impressive. =\

Also, the ASVAB minimum has been bumped up from 30 to 50, and a lot less waivers seem to be getting approved. Yesterday, my recruiter was telling me how easy it was a year ago to get certain waivers approved that are nearly impossible to get these days.

I guess when the Marine Corps gets crowded, it becomes a little more selective.

Capital M
11-13-09, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I think the general consensus is that Recruiting regions are bumping their minimums based on how full they are.

dds0113
11-13-09, 08:57 AM
America is two thirds overweight and one third obese.

2/3 + 1/3 = 3/3 = 100%. Everyone in America is overweight or obese? Or do you mean 1/3 of the 2/3 of overweight people are obese?

eleventen32
11-13-09, 10:35 AM
2/3 + 1/3 = 3/3 = 100%. Everyone in America is overweight or obese? Or do you mean 1/3 of the 2/3 of overweight people are obese?

LOL. As was said earlier in this thread: Let's not get to technical. :nerd:
I agree with josh that the standards are the way they are due to the fact that the average joe needs to be able to pass them but at the same time be high enough that recruits will be prepared for boot camp.

KilpatrickF250
11-13-09, 09:34 PM
The whole Brevard County R.S.S. isn't shipping poolees that can't do 5 p/u, 60 crunches, and can't run the 1 1/2 in under 13 minutes.

Remember y'all that live out here, Rockledge r.s.s. at 8am tomorrow.

Capital M
11-13-09, 09:55 PM
Haha eleventen, great avatar.

karlv65
11-14-09, 09:04 AM
Since when did all of you become Marines ?? I did not thinks so . Stop posting information that is wrong half of you don't even know what your talking about . The IST,PFT and CFT are still the same. Stop braging because you have better IST scores that dont matter will that stop a bullet ?

joshpike4
11-14-09, 10:59 AM
What I meant to say is that 1/3rd or 33.3 percent of American citizens are obese and 2/3rds or 66 percent are overweight. The overweight category counting the obese percentage. Pretty much saying the same thing again, but its amazing that Americans do PT at all.

joshpike4
11-14-09, 11:07 AM
Since when did all of you become Marines ?? I did not thinks so . Stop posting information that is wrong half of you don't even know what your talking about . The IST,PFT and CFT are still the same. Stop braging because you have better IST scores that dont matter will that stop a bullet ?

This is a "section" of the forum to add/ask opinions and information for people to browse. Whether they choose to believe it or not is up to them. The purpose is for the DEP Poole's to gather as much information before they get to recruit training. It is a great program to help us prepare. Don't make statements that are just going to cause arguments and problems. Even if you are correct what are you going to accomplish in starting a controversy?

eleventen32
11-14-09, 01:28 PM

My pull ups, crunches, and run time are better than yours. Haha! LOL I'm just messing with you!

But to be honest people bragging about their accomplishments should just push you to become better IMO.

eleventen32
11-14-09, 01:31 PM
Haha eleventen, great avatar.

Thanks man. I use the phrase from that picture "There will be time to rest when your dead." as motivation when I do PT. And I like the picture a lot because I'm going to be wearing birth control glasses in boot camp. :nerd:

KilpatrickF250
11-14-09, 03:20 PM
The whole Brevard County R.S.S. isn't shipping poolees that can't do 5 p/u, 60 crunches, and can't run the 1 1/2 in under 13 minutes.

Remember y'all that live out here, Rockledge r.s.s. at 8am tomorrow.

Passed my final IST before the island :)

For those of you that are struggling in one of the three catagories, all I can say is keep going to p.t. sessions at your recruiting office and really work at it. Keep motivated and keep your goals in mind, and don't stop at the bare minimum. For me it was running and now I run 5/7 or 6/7 times a week.

TheRichmondKid
11-18-09, 08:42 PM

When I DEP'd in in July I couldn't do a single pull up. My RSS PT's 3 times a week but I still had to do work on my own to get them into the double digits as they are now. People think that RSS PT's will get them where you need to be, truth is even doing PT 3 times a week like I do isn't enough. You have to be self-motivated and work on it by yourself too. Makes me furious to see kids who shown no progress while in the DEP for months are holding a MOS contract someone truly dedicated may desperately want. :mad:

poolee661
12-15-09, 04:01 AM
Male

- 2 Pull Ups
- 35 Sit Ups (2 minutes)
- 1.5 Mile Run - 13:30
Female

- Flexed Arm Hang - 12 seconds
- 35 Sit Ups (2 Minutes)
- 1 Mile Run - 10:30

Source Our military website (can not post web address)

Capital M
12-15-09, 08:46 AM
Old thread?

minimum crunches isn't 35 either.

poolee661
12-15-09, 01:16 PM
Yes i know just to clear the pull up section.

USMC Sokol
12-15-09, 06:15 PM
You could just wait until you DEP in and get that metal container the exercise guide and the knowledge book. It has all the requirements listed there. If they ever change, I'm 99% sure your recruiter will notify you

K Tubbs
12-21-09, 02:56 AM
i like that it means the weaker ones are weaded out if they want it bad they will work for it

NBFD2USMC
01-14-10, 04:05 PM
what would occur if you get to meps and are overweight, do you not ship?

Bcove90
01-14-10, 09:40 PM
i took my IST a month ago at our local headquarters and it was 3 pullups 50 crunches 13:30 1.5.

nicka495
01-16-10, 09:37 AM
I believe that is against the code and you can get in some trouble for that, and why would someone do that? you will get a dishonorable discharge and bye-bye all government jobs and possibly all...

PSMN
01-17-10, 12:05 PM
wow..in Clarksville Tennessee the min req. are
pullups 3
situps 44
1.5 mile 13:30

kingM
05-20-10, 11:31 PM
I ran 9.00. do you thinks that is a good time to go to bootcamp??

nrml1
05-21-10, 03:24 PM
I ran 9.00. do you thinks that is a good time to go to bootcamp??

9:00 what? 1 1/2 mile? If so based on the minimum requirements, I'd say yes.

Pags12
05-24-10, 07:03 PM
There are people in my DEP that can barely reach the 44 sit up minimum never mind 60.

JP702
05-25-10, 11:04 AM
While in DEP, you can really tell who's motivated and who's not. I'm FAR from athletic, never played a organized sport in my life, and I went from 1-3 pull ups to 9 within two-three months. I started to PT before I even got my ship date.

asherdasher114
05-25-10, 02:47 PM
While in DEP, you can really tell who's motivated and who's not.

I couldn't agree with you more! For the most part the people from my office are motivated, but there are a distinct few who could care less. At least that's how it seems. There is one person who couldn't get in the DEP because he couldn't pass the IST and another one who couldn't ship because he couldn't pass the IST. How do you go through months of being in the DEP and not pass the IST? I just don't get it!
I definitely think the IST standards should be higher. I did over hear the SNCOIC from my office say that he won't let anyone ship with under 5 pull ups from now on though.

Robbie123
05-26-10, 11:59 AM
I couldn't agree with you more! For the most part the people from my office are motivated, but there are a distinct few who could care less. At least that's how it seems. There is one person who couldn't get in the DEP because he couldn't pass the IST and another one who couldn't ship because he couldn't pass the IST. How do you go through months of being in the DEP and not pass the IST? I just don't get it!
I definitely think the IST standards should be higher. I did over hear the SNCOIC from my office say that he won't let anyone ship with under 5 pull ups from now on though.

Agree with you both. For the most part, most of our RS is motivated, but like at last weeks PT we did about 6 miles in a two columns and we were singing Cadences the whole way. I'm motivated as hell, so I was screaming it at the top of my lungs, but some poolee's were like 'whatever, this sucks...why are we doing such an intense workout' I hate un-motivated poolee's! D:

New Jersey
06-13-10, 06:53 AM
I just had my first IST yesterday and it didn't go to well but I am still motivated. I screwed up on my sit ups because I thought I had to keep my arms on my chest but come to find out your arms can be on your stomach as long as your hands stay on your biceps. Failed the run by 10 seconds but, I am pretty happy with the run because I have been going to PT 3 times a week with my RSS and I couldn't even run a 1 1/2 mile without stopping before. I have over a year to improve so I am not worried

wilsontc11
06-13-10, 07:17 AM
I ran 9.00. do you thinks that is a good time to go to bootcamp??thats better than perfect for the IST lol. I wish I could run that well, id be SET if I could get my run time down by like 5 minutes lol

wilsontc11
06-13-10, 07:32 AM
I just had my first IST yesterday and it didn't go to well but I am still motivated. I screwed up on my sit ups because I thought I had to keep my arms on my chest but come to find out your arms can be on your stomach as long as your hands stay on your biceps. Failed the run by 10 seconds but, I am pretty happy with the run because I have been going to PT 3 times a week with my RSS and I couldn't even run a 1 1/2 mile without stopping before. I have over a year to improve so I am not worriedhey man, dont worry about it, it was your first IST. I just had one yesterday aswell, and there were people puking and crap lol.

are you sure you're doing crunches and not sit ups? it took me like 4 ISTs to realize the difference (even though our recruiters tell us every time how to do one lol) and it made a huge difference when I started doing crunches. and if you are, just keep at it. you'll only get better and if you ahve a year to go in the DEP, you can easily pump out 100 before boot camp

New Jersey
06-13-10, 08:18 AM
hey man, dont worry about it, it was your first IST. I just had one yesterday aswell, and there were people puking and crap lol.

are you sure you're doing crunches and not sit ups? it took me like 4 ISTs to realize the difference (even though our recruiters tell us every time how to do one lol) and it made a huge difference when I started doing crunches. and if you are, just keep at it. you'll only get better and if you ahve a year to go in the DEP, you can easily pump out 100 before boot camp

I don't know. Are we suppose to do crunches or sit ups? What is the difference?

wilsontc11
06-13-10, 08:51 AM
I don't know. Are we suppose to do crunches or sit ups? What is the difference?

you're supposed to do crunches

Sit ups are when you go all the way up, and then your back goes all the way down

crunches are when only your shoulder blades have to touch the deck when you go down, and your arms (your elbows pretty much) have to touch your legs when you go up (and your arms HAVE to remain flat on your chest or the crunch wont count. im not sure how they do it at your RSS, but here we hold our biceps with our hands only). its hard to explain in text but just watch other people do it when you PT and you'll see. you just have to do alot less

BrianW
06-13-10, 09:25 AM
The funny thing is the new guys that are coming in, are 1000% more MOTO than the guys that have less than 60 days to ship

P90x
06-13-10, 11:34 AM
Ceckert did you not read the rules? Whenever you use the word **Marine** you capitalize it, same for USMC or anything like that.

sbombard15
06-13-10, 02:24 PM
Ceckert did you not read the rules? Whenever you use the word **Marine** you capitalize it, same for USMC or anything like that.

If you looked at his profile you would see he shipped back in december so he is probably a Marine by now. Do your research before you try to correct people.