PDA

View Full Version : Female Poolee IST scores?

Ashley Jacob
10-31-09, 10:01 AM
Hi,

I was curious on what other Female Poolees are getting on their IST scores? I cannot wait to ship out!!

Ashley

Ashley Jacob
10-31-09, 12:48 PM
I just want to make sure I am in-line with other Female Poolees that are preparing for boot camp. I do PT a lot and do the P90X workout program as I want to make sure I am in top shape when I go. Thanks in advance for any feedback from either Poolees or Marines!

Endurance89
10-31-09, 02:49 PM
I just want to make sure I am in-line with other Female Poolees that are preparing for boot camp. I do PT a lot and do the P90X workout program as I want to make sure I am in top shape when I go. Thanks in advance for any feedback from either Poolees or Marines!

Hey Ashley, not a female, but wanted to comment that you are mos def in the clear for an acceptable IST; most of the guys at RSS Fox Valley can't even muster that.

Your crunches look great---any tips? I can crank out 75 now. I want that hundo before boot.

I will repay your reply with a tip on increasing your hang time. Out of curiosity, I tried it once and pulled 180 seconds. Not sure how you hold, but underhand grip works fantastic, and shoulder's width apart. You can build up your time by doing actual pull ups from the half-way position---those muscles are what are being used the most.

Share the wealth on them crunches.

Ashley Jacob
10-31-09, 06:39 PM
Thanks Endurance89! I got a pullup bar a few weeks ago so have been doing that multiple times a week, so I really hope to at least get a 100 second hang before boot. But for crunches, I just keep doing them at least 5 times a week and it has helped my number. I always try to workout with someone who can do more then me as that motivates me to get more!! :) Best of luck to you when you ship out to boot! I can't wait!

Capital M
10-31-09, 07:58 PM
Just wanted to say welcome! It's cool to see fellow poolees from Massachusetts on here.

Oh and I love p90x. It works wonders, I just switched over to it from free weights and love the change.

MarinesFTW
11-01-09, 12:09 AM
Welcome to the site, its a good place full of ALOT of information. Best part, its all just a search bar away! Google is also your best friend for answering many questions that will come up. If you have any questions, pm a Mod, or some fellow Poolee, we would be glad to try and point you in the right direction.

Ashley Jacob
11-01-09, 09:43 AM
Thanks Capital M! Yes, I too love the P90X program! I'm still in first phase, but I love it.

And thanks MarinesFTW!! I have learned so much from reading through some of these forums! Its so motivating and I cannot wait to ship out!

MarinesFTW
11-01-09, 09:05 PM
Makes 2 of us sister.

Endurance89
11-02-09, 10:54 AM
Ashley,

I got a PM from WMarine. She mentioned that I had given information about hang times, but wanted to clarify that you have already maxed your time.

I think though, that going above and beyond counts for points at the culmination of Boot if there are multiple 300 PFTers. Extra crunches, longer hang times, and faster run times all become points, or so I believe.

Just wanted to put that out there.

Ashley Jacob
11-05-09, 05:59 PM
Thanks Endurance89 :) I do realize I have maxed the time, but I still want to make sure I am competitve to other females I ship with. I saw on one forum that a female Drill Instructor was able to do the hang for 2 1/2 minutes!! I just don't want to be behind the rest of females I ship out with! :)

KilpatrickF250
11-14-09, 10:03 PM
You are a beast compared to the females shipping from R.s.s Brevard. keep up the moto

Roop
11-15-09, 05:47 PM
Females, any ideas on how to up my sit-up count in the next few weeks? So much PT to do before I leave, so little time.

MarinesFTW
11-15-09, 09:46 PM
Well I am not a female, but we all do crunches the exact same way. I suggest you try and do 3 max set's in 2 minutes a day at least. Also add different crunches and ab work outs. Do leg lifts, then have someone hold your feet and old yourself at a 45 degree angle for 10 seconds then move down a little and then a little more right when your almost going to touch the ground. Hold all spots for 10 seconds and do 5-10 reps. If you find that to easy, do it longer. These were all tips I recieved on monday from my recruiter.

atimmons
11-16-09, 01:01 AM
Your scores look great. Keep it up. Yeah I tried p90x but couldn't keep up with it...

ajacobsen19
11-16-09, 08:30 AM
Well with the P90X I just started the first phase yesterday and its great to hear the positive comments about it. My main problem is my running, I have never been a runner and i go running with my recruiter twice a week plus the poolee functions when they kick our butts. My times getting better yet I am no where near satisfied. Great idea about other females scores and let us have a chance to talk!

Roop
11-17-09, 07:15 AM
Well I am not a female, but we all do crunches the exact same way. I suggest you try and do 3 max set's in 2 minutes a day at least. Also add different crunches and ab work outs. Do leg lifts, then have someone hold your feet and old yourself at a 45 degree angle for 10 seconds then move down a little and then a little more right when your almost going to touch the ground. Hold all spots for 10 seconds and do 5-10 reps. If you find that to easy, do it longer. These were all tips I recieved on monday from my recruiter.

Thank you for the advice. Really, I needed some work-outs I could do outside of the gym. I completely forgot about leg lifts; I've been trying so hard to get to my max by just doing more crunches, I wasn't thinking. I'm getting a little panicked with ship day approaching so soon.

MarinesFTW
11-17-09, 08:22 AM
Haha yeah, all of those work ours you are able to do at home which is nice. When I'm bored and play my xbox I like to do something in between games. Keep up the good work!

Capital M
11-17-09, 08:42 AM
Roop (and anyone else in need of help)- Make sure you're using the leverage caused by someone holding your legs. It's kinda hard to explain, but when you're doing crunches, almost try to pull your feet back toward your body. Once your calves are pressed against your partners arms, it starts to take the pressure off of your abs a bit and lets you pull up easier.

Remember, crunches are about efficiency. My crunches at MEPS for my IST were like 46 or 47. I went to the my RS's Pool function the next day, where a Sgt at our Recruiting station taught me how to save energy and do them the more efficiently. I bumped up to like 77 that day, now I'm at like 112. Keep your elbows pressed against your stomach, and only go down so your shoulder blades touch. Let yourself drop back down too, dont try and control the "fall," it works your abs harder. Once those shoulder blades touch, bounce back up.

dds0113
11-17-09, 08:59 AM
I built up to doing 100+ in 2:00 by working up progressively, example:

Week 1: 4-5 sets of 20
Week 2: 4-5 sets of 25-30
Week 3: 3-4 sets of 30-35
Week 4: 4 sets of 40-50
(You get the idea you can keep building from there)

I always anchored my feet and kept up proper form. Also I did each 4x a week, always trying to get to the 30 out of 25-30 or the 35 out of 30-35 each set.

Ashley Jacob
11-22-09, 06:52 PM
Thank you for the advice. Really, I needed some work-outs I could do outside of the gym. I completely forgot about leg lifts; I've been trying so hard to get to my max by just doing more crunches, I wasn't thinking. I'm getting a little panicked with ship day approaching so soon.

Hey Roop - best of luck to you at boot camp!!! I jealous you are shipping out so soon! :yes: I really can't wait to go! But I agree with others and you have to do more then just crunches and you need to build up your whole core. You are doing great though! Ashley

Ashley Jacob
11-22-09, 06:56 PM
Well with the P90X I just started the first phase yesterday and its great to hear the positive comments about it. My main problem is my running, I have never been a runner and i go running with my recruiter twice a week plus the poolee functions when they kick our butts. My times getting better yet I am no where near satisfied. Great idea about other females scores and let us have a chance to talk!

Hi Ayla! P90X is tough, but don't give up! But for running, I think best think to do is a sprint/walk/jog type of training. Like if you do it on a track you sprint as fast as you can for the straight length, then when going around the bend you can slow down to jog/walk, and on the straight part you sprint again. Then try building up to where you can sprint like half the track, and jog/walk just one of the bends. I've heard that works pretty good. Maybe I'll see you at PI as I ship like a month after you!! :yes: Ashley

USMC Sokol
11-22-09, 08:37 PM

Leg Lifts
Hello Dollies
Planks
Flutter Kicks
Crunches

All of those will help your 2 minute crunches, believe me! Just remember "Pain is weakness leaving the body" so even when you feel like dying hold it for a little longer ;] lol

Poolee Sullivan
12-02-09, 11:07 PM
IST as of 20090112
Arm hang -- 54 sec.
Crunches -- 70
1 1/2 mile -- 11:25

Now if only I wasn't being a fattycake over Thanksgiving Break my abs would've been in better shape!! :p hahaha

FutureDevilDog1
12-03-09, 09:50 AM
i guess mines average. but yours if friggin awesome! we might run into each other on Parris Island cause i go in june 21. keep it up!

FutureDevilDog1
12-03-09, 09:51 AM
as i was,my sit ups went up to 73

ajacobsen19
12-04-09, 09:25 AM
Hi Ayla! P90X is tough, but don't give up! But for running, I think best think to do is a sprint/walk/jog type of training. Like if you do it on a track you sprint as fast as you can for the straight length, then when going around the bend you can slow down to jog/walk, and on the straight part you sprint again. Then try building up to where you can sprint like half the track, and jog/walk just one of the bends. I've heard that works pretty good. Maybe I'll see you at PI as I ship like a month after you!! :yes: Ashley

Hey. Thanks! I'm sure I probably will see you around! I have pretty much not been able to run a lot thanks to the snow. But mainly I just do distance runs with my recruiter 2-3 times a week normally about 4-6 miles each time. Im going to try the sprints and stuff though. And with the P90X it is very hard and with my schedule it is super hard staying on top of it. But it is helping my sit-ups. I finally am up to 90.